Muse - Page 23 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2007, 06:43 PM   #331
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:58 PM
Jesus, I leave the thread for a few hours and it's grown into a Muse vs Radiohead monster yet again,

I like Radiohead and LOVE Muse; can't say if any of them is better than the other since to me their music and what they try to achieve with their music is vastly different when you look at the big picture. I think that people who compare Muse to Radiohead concetrate way too much on the things they have in common (which they do) and ignore the myriad of other influences and elements in their music which become more and more diverse - 70s Queen, Rage Against the Machine, classical, 80s electronics, 50s surf-rock, flamenco, etc. I personally think that Muse have way much more in common with Queen, not in a sense that they sound like them but more in terms of "spirit" if that makes sense. They're both unafraid to embrace the ridiculousness and flamboyance of BIG rock music. Which is maybe why my Queen-loving brother who couldn't care less about most of the contemporary rock loves them.

I definitely agree that Muse rock harder in a way Radiohead never really did, and yes I've heard Radiohead's rockier stuff and no I don't think it makes Muse "better". To me, Radiohead sound just way too tasteful even when they do crank it up; IMO you need a touch of vulgarity to properly rock,

As for Matt's appearance, I think he's got the kind of strange quirky features that, depending on angle and lighting, can look strikingly handsome or fugly as sin. He's always interesting to look at anyway and I way prefer that to conventional attractiveness. Unlike annie_vox, I think Matt got so much better-looking with age especially after he's put on a teensy bit of weight,

Old 06-18-2007, 07:59 PM   #332
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:58 AM
it's official.. Muse is doing Street Scene in San Diego along with some other great bands...namely the Killers!

here's the link: http://www.street-scene.com/07newsletter_6_18.html

Old 06-18-2007, 07:59 PM   #333
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by xaviMF22
Sail to the moon guitar playing>>>> any Matt bellamy guitar playing

Paranoid Android solo >>>>any Matt solo
You know, I think Matt can do more with some reverb and the Korg pad on his Manson than Jonny Greenwood can do bent over staring at twenty effects pedals.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:26 PM   #334
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Saracene
Jesus, I leave the thread for a few hours and it's grown into a Muse vs Radiohead monster yet again,

I like Radiohead and LOVE Muse; can't say if any of them is better than the other since to me their music and what they try to achieve with their music is vastly different when you look at the big picture. I think that people who compare Muse to Radiohead concetrate way too much on the things they have in common (which they do) and ignore the myriad of other influences and elements in their music which become more and more diverse - 70s Queen, Rage Against the Machine, classical, 80s electronics, 50s surf-rock, flamenco, etc. I personally think that Muse have way much more in common with Queen, not in a sense that they sound like them but more in terms of "spirit" if that makes sense. They're both unafraid to embrace the ridiculousness and flamboyance of BIG rock music. Which is maybe why my Queen-loving brother who couldn't care less about most of the contemporary rock loves them.
very good points made. I never got the Muse-Radiohead comparisons really. Beyond Bellamy's voice they really don't sound much alike. Maybe a couple songs do, especially earlier stuff, but from Absolution on there really is only a minor Radiohead influence compared to all of their other influences.

the comparison to Queen is spot-on bombastic epic rock

but as long as we're comparing Radiohead to Muse, I would say that Radiohead has mastered the art of the album much better than Muse has (though Absolution was pretty damn good). But I don't think Radiohead has come up with one single standout track I love as much as Hysteria
Old 06-18-2007, 08:49 PM   #335
Blue Crack Addict

I put the poster up over my bed

It's kind of crooked but I had a hard enough time getting it to stay without falling so its staying that way
Old 06-18-2007, 09:24 PM   #336
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:58 PM
Since when did this thread turn into a contest about the lead singer's looks???

I enjoy both bands to an extent. I do like Radiohead more but I've also heard more of their stuff. Matt sounds the most like Thom on Time Is Running Out, which when I first heard at the gym back in 2004 or something I thought it was a new Radiohead song! That's where I think people are hearing the similarities, annie!
Old 06-18-2007, 09:28 PM   #337
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
I put the poster up over my bed

It's kind of crooked but I had a hard enough time getting it to stay without falling so its staying that way
I thought it got crooked from you making out with 2D Matt
Old 06-18-2007, 09:30 PM   #338
Blue Crack Addict

No, sorry to burst your bubble

The shirt:

The poster:

Yes I still have some John Kerry on my wall...sometimes its hard to let go
Old 06-18-2007, 09:32 PM   #339
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160
I thought it got crooked from you making out with 2D Matt
Old 06-18-2007, 09:42 PM   #340
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:58 AM

and somebody's already got a 2 day pass. . .
Old 06-18-2007, 09:49 PM   #341
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat

No, sorry to burst your bubble

The shirt:

The poster:

Yes I still have some John Kerry on my wall...sometimes its hard to let go

Nicely done!
Old 06-18-2007, 09:50 PM   #342
Blue Crack Addict

No fair

There are never any cool festivals around here.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:51 PM   #343
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160

Nicely done!
Why thank you

I can't wait until August when I move back into my dorm room and I put it up there next to my Bowie, U2, and Indiana Jones posters
Old 06-18-2007, 09:57 PM   #344
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
Since when did this thread turn into a contest about the lead singer's looks???

I enjoy both bands to an extent. I do like Radiohead more but I've also heard more of their stuff. Matt sounds the most like Thom on Time Is Running Out, which when I first heard at the gym back in 2004 or something I thought it was a new Radiohead song! That's where I think people are hearing the similarities, annie!

I don't get the "looks comparison" thing at all. Sweet Jesus...if that influences what you're listening to, that's the ugliest thing of all

I'm a tough critic, and I'll admit, I originally thought of Muse as Radiohead wannabes. They still may be, but they've carved out a niche all their own with sheer talent and energy on stage. Matt definitely has a few of Thom's vocalizations in his back pocket, but it's more of a sincere tribute to him rather than an outright copy.

As I see it, the huge divide between the two bands is the level of quirkiness/experimentation versus power of performance/showmanship. I gravitate towards the former, and Radiohead, but I'll be the first to tell anyone that Muse are absolutely brilliant. I've recruited my sister as a fan! I played her a few songs about a month ago during a visit, and she went out to the mall that very afternoon and bought their entire catalogue...powerful first impression
Old 06-18-2007, 10:05 PM   #345
Blue Crack Addict

Personally I didn't like Radiohead years before I ever heard Muse. I'll give it to them that they're an interesting and gifted group, but they've never done anything for me except with Creep.

Whatever...I'm hoping that most of the "battle" that we saw in here today was in jest...I know it was from my end. Tongue in cheek anyway.

As exciting as they are live...I hope Muse starts recording new tracks soon and that they don't leave us with such a drought the way U2 does.

Tags
muse