Muff, County Donegal, Ireland Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm a bit crushed by what's happened to Scarlet.

I was so tempted to give it a 10 just to help it ...

Scarlet ending up just below Lost on a Silent Planet wouldn't be the worst result

I just think the song is hurt a lot by not closing the album, feels kind of pointless as the second last track

No, I just don't care for it.

MLK: Well, this isn't really much of a song, is it? Plus Bono doesn't sing it properly this tour. Next.
Walk On: Eh. Don't care either way.
One: Do I need to explain? Well, if I do, see Daniel's MOS parody: "I wish they'd played Surrender/Because One is dead to me/I did not need to hear it/And they did not need to play it for me."
Streets: I'm a heretic, but I'm over it. Can think of 50 songs I'd enjoy more live. Can't begrudge its setlist presence, but I do wish people would stop acting like a U2 concert isn't a U2 concert without Streets.
Ultra Violet: Woop-dee-doo. Once was enough. More than enough. Wish they'd resurrected EBTTRT or LIB instead.
WOWY: WOWY on 360 is quite possibly the worst thing U2 have ever done live.
MOS: It's not bad (even with Bono over-singing it), but after the preceding songs, I'm just ready to go home.

At least on the rare occasions they do Bad after Streets, there's something to keep me caring.

this makes baby jesus cry :sad:

Now I will beg for Please to be resurrected, 'cause it was one of U2's best ever live songs.

Scarlet ending up just below Lost on a Silent Planet wouldn't be the worst result

No, but both deserve to be higher than they are.

this makes baby jesus cry :sad:

If I try to put aside my own tastes and look at this from a setlist design perspective:

MLK: Cool that it's there. Token gesture to UF and works as an intro to something else.
Walk On: Non-essential. Rotate it or something. There's no need to be doing four ATYCLB songs some nights in 2009. Why not MLK/Walk On one night and MLK/NYD the next? Even restore MLK/UF? Or go for MLK/Streets?
One: Needs a break. Lost its spark. Means nothing nowadays. At least put it into rotation with other big anthems like ISHFWILF.
Streets: Keep playing it 9 gigs out of 10.
Ultra Violet: Can't begrudge it this tour. Some rotation might be interesting though - it's odd one song has two different intro videos. Why not use the computer robot W. H. Auden intro for The Fly or UTEOTW or something?
WOWY: Crap, it must go. Replace with AIWIY and/or Bad.
MOS: Obviously should stay in the set, but I'm not sold on it being the very final song. Follow it with Bad or 40 or something?

Listening to White as Snow now, Ax may be happy to know this ... probably not, but it's a good song.

Listening to White as Snow now, Ax may be happy to know this ... probably not, but it's a good song.

White As Snow is my second favourite NLOTH song, after Fez. Beautiful track. I'm hopeful it may creep into the 360 set.

White As Snow is my second favourite NLOTH song, after Fez. Beautiful track. I'm hopeful it may creep into the 360 set.

Only thing is how would it fit in? I'd rather they bring back Mofo and rock the hell out of that stage. White As Snow would be awesome whenever they decide to do a more scaled back tour

I've only really discovered its greatness, the guitar part during the "and the water was icy, as it washed over me ..." is superb, as are Bono's vocals.

I can see it being brought into later tours. Cedars is a-spicy meatball too. :up:

But yes, as John said, Mofo should definitely be a higher priority. I hope these little "snippets" are pointing to hearing the real thing.

:drool:

Only thing is how would it fit in? I'd rather they bring back Mofo and rock the hell out of that stage. White As Snow would be awesome whenever they decide to do a more scaled back tour

White As Snow would be easy to fit in - go for the spot where Stay and Stuck are currently rotating. It wouldn't even necessarily require that much rehearsal either, if they do it as just a Bono and Edge thing.

But agreed that some serious rock-the-fuck-outtery like Mofo is a much higher priority. Screw the current encore. Let's end this thing with Mofo/HMTMKMKM/The Fly. Man, imagine The Fly as closer...!

But agreed that some serious rock-the-fuck-outtery like Mofo is a much higher priority. Screw the current encore. Let's end this thing with Mofo/HMTMKMKM/The Fly. Man, imagine The Fly as closer...!

Just any one of those songs will make the concert legendary! There's still enough time to change their minds until Oz! Until The End Of The World is pretty damn good, too.

Gotta bring out the Popmart DVD! "Faark-that" *boo-boo-boom-trrhhhh*

Have a good one, John! :wave:

Vlad, you haven't heard HMTMKMKM until you hear the 31 July 1997, Mannheim version.

You say? Speaking of the awesomeness of HMTMKMKM, the studio version of the song got deleted accidentally, a while ago actually. Can you send me an mp3 of it Ax? Thanks.

:up:

No, but both deserve to be higher than they are.

If I try to put aside my own tastes and look at this from a setlist design perspective:

MLK: Cool that it's there. Token gesture to UF and works as an intro to something else.
Walk On: Non-essential. Rotate it or something. There's no need to be doing four ATYCLB songs some nights in 2009. Why not MLK/Walk On one night and MLK/NYD the next? Even restore MLK/UF? Or go for MLK/Streets?
One: Needs a break. Lost its spark. Means nothing nowadays. At least put it into rotation with other big anthems like ISHFWILF.
Streets: Keep playing it 9 gigs out of 10.
Ultra Violet: Can't begrudge it this tour. Some rotation might be interesting though - it's odd one song has two different intro videos. Why not use the computer robot W. H. Auden intro for The Fly or UTEOTW or something?
WOWY: Crap, it must go. Replace with AIWIY and/or Bad.
MOS: Obviously should stay in the set, but I'm not sold on it being the very final song. Follow it with Bad or 40 or something?

much better :lol:

You say? Speaking of the awesomeness of HMTMKMKM, the studio version of the song got deleted accidentally, a while ago actually. Can you send me an mp3 of it Ax? Thanks.

:up:

I can send you both the studio version and the definitive live version, no problems there.

Have a good night!

Seems like that's about time, Liam. All the best, man. Drop us a line if you need.

i know i'm the last person any of you want to see post in here, but i just wanted to say i'm sorry to hear you're going through all this, liam. that sucks. :hug: i'm sure i'm the last person you'd want to talk to but if you ever need to, feel free to pm me.

Khan, actually, you're just the person I'd like to speak to! Guess who's going to see Tim Finn live on 7 November. :hyper:

Got tickets yesterday. Hope he's good solo. Some promo material Alison (who's coming with me) saw mentioned him playing Enz and Crowdies material, so I'm intrigued.

Sounds like you've a pretty shit schedule there, John.

And shit, it's past midnight. I'm out. :wave:

i know i'm the last person any of you want to see post in here, but i just wanted to say i'm sorry to hear you're going through all this, liam. that sucks. :hug: i'm sure i'm the last person you'd want to talk to but if you ever need to, feel free to pm me.

There's no reason to come in here feeling that way. I'll never understand what the bad blood was about, but, no one ever said "Fuck off, Khan" at least as far as I know. I'd love nothing more than to see everyone back in here like it used to be :sigh:

Also, I can't stop eating this damn cheese!

Blah, hate it when I sleep in too late. Probably needed the rest, but still ...

Back
Top Bottom