MTV's Top 10 Albums of 2007 I'm Supposed to Love But Don't

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2popmofo

Blue Meth Addict
You would think a station who continually proves they have absolutely nothing to do with music would be hesitant to release something that makes them look even more out of touch. Luckily for us, they're not. No matter what kind of music you like, something in this will probably piss you off. MTV, it's just too easy to hate you.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1575640/20071203/radiohead.jhtml

1. Radiohead, In Rainbows: I didn't rush out and buy the iPhone, and I didn't sprain an index finger ordering up this Sominex special. Sgt. Pepper's couldn't have stood up to the scrutiny that this low-audio quality Internet stunt album got, and now that I have finally paid my $0 (yeah, I'm one of those guys, so what?), I have to say I'm ... is "underimpressed" a word? Fewer electronic squiggles and more rock than the last couple of glitch-a-ramas, but if this is the best of two years of jamming, what the hell did they leave on the cutting room floor?

2. M.I.A., Kala: I can totally dig the Pixies and Jonathan Richman references, and I love Bollywood soundtracks, chaos and big, frantic tribal spaz beats. But somehow the combo of all that plus M.I.A.'s barky, accented chicken-squawk vocals and all those annoying kids hectoring in the background felt like a spangly Chuck Taylor All-Star to my brainpan. Hip-hop should feel like fun, not homework.

3. Björk, Volta: Like Radiohead, Björk is one of those artists critics are required to fawn over, despite her insistence on treating melody like it's a cop's foot and she's Britney's out-of-control Beemer. We get it: You're avant-garde. But if the rumbly, bleep-bloop "Earth Intruders" is as catchy as it gets, I promise to pay anyone out there $100 if they can prove they listened to this whole album more than twice by this time next year.

4. Dr. Dog, We All Belong: If by We All Belong, they mean "we all belong to a cabal of hipsters who've chosen to overlook the fact that half these songs sound kinda like a dirty hippie barbershop quartet playing Beach Boys covers," well, then I guess I'm not a belong-er.

5. The Good, the Bad & the Queen, The Good, the Bad & the Queen: Remember what it felt like to watch the 2004 men's-basketball "Dream Team" get their asses handed to them by Argentina? That was kinda like listening to this dubbed-out, tuneless mess featuring members of the Clash, Gorillaz/Blur, the Verve and Fela Kuti's band.

6. Feist, The Reminder: Man, that "1234" song was awesome! And the one-continous-shot video with the dancing and the color-coordinated outfits? And the choreography? So awesome. Did I mention that I totally dig "1234"?

7. The Arcade Fire, Neon Bible: I wanted to love this album so badly. I really did. What with the songs about terrorists and Jessica Simpson's dad (same difference?) and that one that sounds like John Cafferty & the Beaver Brown Band's "On the Dark Side" ("Keep the Car Running" — go check it out yourself)? But unlike the band's debut, with the exception of a few cuts — OK, "Keep the Car Running" — it felt like an indie-rock college term paper on postpartum depression.

8. Bat for Lashes, Fur & Gold: Remember that Björk bet? Double or nothing, baby! I like freaks and I like folk, but I guess I just don't like creepy Halloween music if the scariest it gets is a tune about "The Wizard."

9. Animal Collective, Strawberry Jam: The next time I want to listen to a broken $25 Casiotone keyboard being defiled by a cheap drum machine over a staticky intercom while some stoner rambles on about bubbles exploding and tickling the bath, I'll just go to my buddy Eric's house and watch him cook dinner. Because at least he always has two good import beers on tap. ...

10. Angels & Airwaves, I-Empire: Oh, who am I kidding? Nobody pretends you're supposed to like this one.

What is even more hilarious is that a lot of those albums appear in the MTV News Staffers' Top Ten picks, so it sounds like this one guy is the main idiot...

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1575533/20071130/west_kanye.jhtml

Conor Bezane
1. LCD Soundsystem, Sound of Silver
2. Bright Eyes, Cassadaga
3. Feist, The Reminder
4. Modest Mouse, We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank
5. Patrick Wolf, The Magic Position
6. Common, Finding Forever
7. Arcade Fire, Neon Bible
8. Radiohead, In Rainbows
9. Mark Ronson, Version
10. Kanye West, Graduation

Jim Cantiello, segment producer
1. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Some Loud Thunder
2. Animal Collective, Strawberry Jam
3. Deerhunter, Cryptograms/ Fluorescent Grey EP/ blog music
4. Of Montreal, Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?
5. LCD Soundsystem, Sound of Silver
6. Low, Drums and Guns
7. Feist, The Reminder
8. Kelly Clarkson, My December
9. Nine Inch Nails, Year Zero
10. Wilco, Sky Blue Sky

Jonathan Goldner, senior producer
1. Bruce Springsteen, Magic
2. The Hives, The Black and White Album
3. Foo Fighters, Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace
4. Kanye West, Graduation
5. Daft Punk, Alive 2007
6. Jay-Z, American Gangster
7. Rihanna, Good Girl Gone Bad

Sohyung Kang, associate producer
1. Amy Winehouse, Back to Black
2. LCD Soundsystem, Sound of Silver
3. Kanye West, Graduation
4. Radiohead, In Rainbows
5. Bloc Party, A Weekend in the City
6. Talib Kweli, Eardrum
7. The National, Boxer
8. Editors, An End Has a Start
9. Paolo Nutini, These Streets
10. Young Love, Too Young to Fight It

Gil Kaufman, reporter
1. Apples in Stereo, New Magnetic Wonder
2. Band of Horses, Cease to Begin
3. Wussy, Left for Dead
4. Tim Armstrong, A Poet's Life
5. Kanye West, Graduation
6. Kings of Leon, Because of the Times
7. "The Darjeeling Limited" original soundtrack
8. Amy Winehouse, Back to Black
9. Of Montreal, Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?
10. Steve Earle, Washington Square Serenade/ White Stripes, Icky Thump

Andrew Millard, producer
1. Amy Winehouse, Back to Black
2. Interpol, Our Love to Admire
4. The Good, the Bad &, the Queen, self-titled
5. Klaxons, Myths of the Near Future
6. White Stripes, Icky Thump
7. Radiohead, In Rainbows
8. Mark Ronson, Version
9. Arctic Monkeys, Favourite Worst Nightmare
10. Arcade Fire, Neon Bible

Andrew Ross Rowe, associate producer
1. Modest Mouse, We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank
2. Bowerbirds, Hymns for a Dark Horse
3. Say Anything, In Defense of the Genre
4. Kanye West, Graduation
5. Relient K, Five Score and Seven Years Ago
6. Britney Spears, Blackout
7. Mae, Singularity
8. Air, Pocket Symphony
9. Nicole Atkins, Neptune City
10. Radiohead, In Rainbows

Chris "CJ" Smith, segment producer
1. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Some Loud Thunder
2. Deerhunter, Cryptograms/ Fluorescent Grey EP
3. Sunset Rubdown, Random Spirit Lover
4. Animal Collective, Strawberry Jam
5. LCD Soundsystem, Sound of Silver
6. Radiohead, In Rainbows
7. Arcade Fire, Neon Bible
8. Black Lips, Los Valientes del Mundo Nuevo
9. Stars of the Lid, And Their Refinement of the Decline
10. Dan Deacon, Spiderman of the Rings

Lindsey Thomas, editor
1. LCD Soundsystem, Sound of Silver
2. 1990s, Cookies
4. M.I.A., Kala
5. Brother Ali, The Undisputed Truth
6. BrakesBrakesBrakes, Beatific Visions
7. Radiohead, In Rainbows
8. Joan as Police Woman, Real Life
9. Apples in Stereo, New Magnetic Wonder
10. Menomena, Friend and Foe

Megan Warner, production assistant
1. James Morrison, Undiscovered
2. Alicia Keys, As I Am
4. Chris Brown, Exclusive
5. Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings, 100 Days, 100 Nights
6. Colbie Caillat, Coco
7. Bruce Springsteen, Magic
8. Carrie Underwood, Carnival Ride
9. Feist, The Reminder
10. Rihanna, Good Girl Gone Bad

I've only heard one of those albums in full (The Good, The Bad, and the Queen one), but I've heard songs from most of the others, and I dunno, I personally like what I've heard. He's perfectly entitled to his opinion, though.

It would be cool to see some of this stuff and the top 40 stuff played side by side and given equal airtime on MTV. Course, for that to happen, the channel has to actually start playing music videos of any kind again, period. Novel idea, I know.

Angela

u2popmofo said:
1. Radiohead, In Rainbows: I didn't rush out and buy the iPhone, and I didn't sprain an index finger ordering up this Sominex special. Sgt. Pepper's couldn't have stood up to the scrutiny that this low-audio quality Internet stunt album got, and now that I have finally paid my $0 (yeah, I'm one of those guys, so what?), I have to say I'm ... is "underimpressed" a word? Fewer electronic squiggles and more rock than the last couple of glitch-a-ramas, but if this is the best of two years of jamming, what the hell did they leave on the cutting room floor?

:hi5:

Even if I agreed with him, I'd hate how he writes.

But I own and like 4 of those records and a couple more are on my list.

I swear to God, I think Tila Tequila (btw, who the hell is she?) has taken over MTV. Every time I flip through their her lame ass reality dating show is on.

Even that name makes me want to strangle her.

If I re-named myself Vinnie Vodka, then people would call me a douchebag, why the double standard?

Diemen said:
I swear to God, I think Tila Tequila (btw, who the hell is she?) has taken over MTV. Every time I flip through their her lame ass reality dating show is on.

I have no idea who she is, nor do I care to find out. I just want to know why the hell she's on MTV (speak of the devil, I was just checking our guide and voila, there she is!). If people want to watch shows like that, whatever, but MTV, a MUSIC channel, isn't the place for it. When did MTV decide to abandon playing music and why?

Angela

I caught a glimpse of a Tila Tequila commercial while flipping through the channels, and they called her "America's Sweetheart"
:huh: Since when?

Diemen said:

From what I've been told
Tila is a bi-sexual and so the dating show is a group of lesbians and a group of males fighting for her love.

Never seen it, my friends lame ass girlfriend is obsessed with it, though.

MTV? What's that? J/K I used to watch mtv and Vh1 but mostly only if they were doing contdowns which wasn't very often. I just watch videos online. I wish i lived in the 80's. Back when U2 and Depeche Mode and duran duran were all over MTV and not lame dating shows. I've never seen this tila tequila show but it has to be more of the same crap. Screw MTV!!!!:mad:

Back
Top Bottom