MTV's Live 8: More Blather, Less Music, Say Critics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Girl1978

Blue Crack Addict
Taken from imdb.com

MTV's coverage of the Live 8 concerts was being assailed by TV critics today (Monday), even as they bestowed high praise on America Online for its Internet presentation. As Beth Gillin put it in the Philadelphia Inquirer: "If Live Aid helped launch MTV as a media powerhouse two decades ago, Live 8 not only dethroned the music channel yesterday but made it seem quaintly old-fashioned. The Internet left cable in the dust. To put it bluntly, MTV sank and AOL soared." Los Angeles Times pop music critic Robert Hilburn called the MTV broadcast "beyond embarrassing. It was pitiful." He added: "I was warned long ago to avoid overkill as a critic, but bear with me this time. Add 'pathetic' to the list." Particularly galling to the critics were the cable network's frequent cutaways from live performances to its hosts and/or commercials. Jim Derogatis of the Chicago Sun-Times commented: "Cutting confusingly between cities, interrupting constantly for inane commentary from idiot VJs, and running a full slate of commercials ... MTV's coverage was an endurance fest. Thank God for the digital video recorder's ability to fast-forward." (Barry Garron of the Hollywood Reporter exempted Jo Jacobs of MTV UK from his criticism of the announcers.) The Associated Press's entertainment writer David Bauder said that by contrast, "AOL's coverage was so superior, it may one day serve as a historical marker in drawing people to computers instead of TV screens for big events."

U2Girl1978 said:
Taken from imdb.com

MTV's coverage of the Live 8 concerts was being assailed by TV critics today (Monday), even as they bestowed high praise on America Online for its Internet presentation. As Beth Gillin put it in the Philadelphia Inquirer: "If Live Aid helped launch MTV as a media powerhouse two decades ago, Live 8 not only dethroned the music channel yesterday but made it seem quaintly old-fashioned. The Internet left cable in the dust. To put it bluntly, MTV sank and AOL soared." Los Angeles Times pop music critic Robert Hilburn called the MTV broadcast "beyond embarrassing. It was pitiful." He added: "I was warned long ago to avoid overkill as a critic, but bear with me this time. Add 'pathetic' to the list." Particularly galling to the critics were the cable network's frequent cutaways from live performances to its hosts and/or commercials. Jim Derogatis of the Chicago Sun-Times commented: "Cutting confusingly between cities, interrupting constantly for inane commentary from idiot VJs, and running a full slate of commercials ... MTV's coverage was an endurance fest. Thank God for the digital video recorder's ability to fast-forward." (Barry Garron of the Hollywood Reporter exempted Jo Jacobs of MTV UK from his criticism of the announcers.) The Associated Press's entertainment writer David Bauder said that by contrast, "AOL's coverage was so superior, it may one day serve as a historical marker in drawing people to computers instead of TV screens for big events."

agreed. The tv coverage was awful.

Yes, it was horrendous. I seriously dont think half the VJs even knew what they were doing there. Embarrassing is right.

Has anyone at VH1 or MTV responded to any of the criticism yet? Why hasn't someone at those 'networks' been fired yet? :scratch:

Yes, they sure have. THere was an article in the LA Times today, as linked to on tvtattle.com.

why they should be fired ?
they no longer play the freakin music anyways ( except for early / late hours )

AOL music chanel rocks beyond any words
i know , maybe it's a cheap trick from their part
but man
london-paris-rome-berlin- toronto - phillys
almost any track to watch and listen
any moment

I agree..the coverage was beyond bad and moved into endurance-fest. I kept thinking they *must* have been cutting away as a favor to the DVD release, since there wasn't a single performance they allowed to run its full course. The Philly coverage was appallingly bad...and it seemed to me they showed us the same bits over and over as well, it was horribly done.

cheers all...

Last night on Showbiz Tonight which is on CNN, they had two critics talking about Live 8. They did say that MTV was bombarded with complaints, and that they plan on re-airing the concert at some point.

Back
Top Bottom