MTV Unplugged - "Alice In Chains" on VH1 Classic right now...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
It's on VH1 Classic right now....half over. This is circa 1996.

Alice In Chains :heart: :rockon:

MTV Unplugged(remember when MTV was actually worth something?) :heart: :rockon:

Caught the last 20 minutes of it. Would? :drool:

Damn, VH1 classic is the only real music channel still alive now, isn't it? :ohmy:

I might get paid out quite badly for this (but I can assure you I'm well researched here, as they were my far and away favourite band when I was 15), but AiC now sort of strike me as the Linkin Park of the 90s with about 100% more talent, but still not enough to make them a very decent band.

I like 'Nutshell', though.

The Sad Punk said:
I might get paid out quite badly for this (but I can assure you I'm well researched here, as they were my far and away favourite band when I was 15), but AiC now sort of strike me as the Linkin Park of the 90s with about 100% more talent, but still not enough to make them a very decent band.

Horrible comparison, imo.

LP is artificial, soulless. I doubt they could pull of an unplugged performance like that.

AIC was a real rock band. They were real rock musicians.

LP wishes they could write a 'Down In A Hole' or 'Nutshell' or 'Heaven Beside You' or 'Would' or 'No Excuses'.

Just my opinion.

The Sad Punk said:

I wouldn't say LP. They were also one of my faves at the time but I think sound the most dated of all the "grunge" bands, mostly due to lyrical content.

But no way were they the LP of the time, they were just the half brother of the grunge bands. They got a lot of respect from their fellow musicans at the time, which I can't really say LP have... I mean they had Chris Cornell and Ann Wilson on their SAP album.

Plus Ryan Adams is covering 'Down in a Hole' what else can you ask for...:wink:

The band got a lot attention because of Layne's vocals, but Jerry was the real talent of the band he wrote most of their better songs, and also had a pretty damn good voice himself.

Well, the comparison doesn't fit perfectly, of course - because LP are beyond awful and AiC managed to get out some very good songs.

I think it's the constant and predictable angst surrounding both of them. While Layne Staley's drug addictions in a sense justify depressing and sometimes lazy writing, Linkin Park really have no excuse for their lyrics as I imagine the hardest thing any of them have done is Red Bull.

It was a half-arsed comparison of mine, though I still think there was something a little less mature about AiC in comparison to most of their peers at the time.

Lyrically AIC own over anything LP could write about. LP lyrics just seem like teen angst.

AIC lyrics seemed inspired by drug induced depression and withdrawl..

And then there's a beautiful song like Rooster. LP could never touch that.

I have said it before and I will say it again now- "Jar of Flies" is easily one of the finest albums to emerge from the whole Grunge movement, if not the single finest. It is a shame that it is so often overshadowed by "Dirt."

Damn, I missed it. Alice in Chains is one of my favorite bands :rockon:

Back
Top Bottom