MTV And Their Latest 'Prank'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gina Marie

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I hope these people win this lawsuit. If this happened to me, I would be traumatized. I have a sense of humor, but this just crosses the line in my opinion. I'm not surprised that Ashton Kutcher is a producer, and I can't believe the hotel went along w/ this, if they knew about it.

Couple Sues Over Hidden-Camera 'Corpse' Prank
Thu Jun 13, 8:04 AM ET
By Steve Gorman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - MTV has been slapped with a $10 million lawsuit from a couple who say they were surprised by a fake corpse in their hotel room as part of a hidden-camera prank for a reality TV show.

James and Laurie Ann Ryan, of Washington, D.C., also named the Hard Rock Hotel in Las Vegas in the suit, which accuses the resort and the cable network of invasion of privacy, infliction of emotional distress and fraud, among other things, their attorney said Wednesday.

The suit, originally filed in Los Angeles in April but gaining public attention this week after it was moved to federal court, said the couple became unwitting participants in a practical joke filmed for a series under development at MTV called "Harassment" while they were on vacation in January.

Upon entering the hotel room, the Ryans "discovered what appeared to be a dead human body covered and surrounded by blood, evidently the victim of a homicide," as hidden cameras recorded their shock, the suit says.

As the couple tried to flee, two actors posing as security guards blocked their way, and a third individual in the guise of a paramedic entered the room.

The show's host and co-producer, Ashton Kutcher, who has described the series in interviews as a "guerrilla-style Candid Camera," finally emerged to reveal the prank.

The Ryans were not amused. They are seeking $10 million in compensatory damages against MTV, the Hard Rock Hotel and Kutcher, who also is named in the suit, said their lawyer, Daniel Rozansky.

Both the cable network, which is owned by Viacom Inc., and the privately owned hotel declined to comment on the case.

An MTV spokeswoman said the incident in question was filmed as part of a pilot episode for "Harassment," which has not aired. She said the future status of the program is uncertain.

That's dumb, $10 million because you're too stupid to tell that it's a fake body lying there. And that sounds like a boring show anyway, another show that 'pushes the limits' but forgets that it needs to be funny for anyone to care.

10 million dollars?

This screams "OPPURTUNISTIC VICTIMS"

I say give Gina, and the couple a complimentary weekend there in the execuitve suite.:);) and a $50.00 bill and tell them to "
SHUT THE F*CK UP"..:D

Dont these mooches have anything better to do w their lives?

Ppl like this need to have a sock inserted in their mouths.:mad:

Did I make myself clear?

thank you
diamond
:lol:

while ten million is excessive they are merely approaching the situation with all the class of viacom. mtv played their prank and now one is being played on them.

the whole of society is going to hell in a handbasket i tellz ya!

Candid Camera should film the court proceedings and have Peter Funt disguised as the judge, and award the couple $1 Billion instead to set an example, and we could all see Sumner Redstone and Ashton Kutcher's reactions. Now that would be guerilla-style Candid Camera. :evil:

sorry but I just don't find dead bodies funny. Have you ever seen a dead body? How can that be funny?

If anything, whether or not these people get their money, I hope it at least starts to put a nail in the coffin of these stupid reality shows.

I'm going to have to go with the couple on this one, even if $10 million is excessive. When I'm on vacation, the last thing I want to do is be "harassed" by finding a fake bloody corpse in my hotel room and then being "harassed" again by fake cops and fake paramedics. MTV needs to learn to leave people alone and play some f*cking videos for a change.

What HeartlandGirl said.

Oh yes, and MTV could rediscover what the "M" in their name stands for and get back to the flippin' music. :tsk:

HeartlandGirl said:
MTV needs to learn to leave people alone and play some f*cking videos for a change.

*is scandalized reading such language from a nun! :eek:

*then agrees COMPLETELY with said nun. :yes:

Silly MTV... Funny TV is rare and done by talented artists. Clearly MTV doesn't have any talented people (Ashton Kutcher is cute on "That 70's Show" but a producer???) so they should stop trying to be funny.

DrTeeth said:

Pssst, it wasn't a real dead body...:silent:

try telling that to the couple who thought it was a real dead body. Perhaps they missed the sign MTV tacked to their door saying "The body inside your room looks real but its not a real body."

[ya know, maybe the couple should also sue for the trauma they faced when they had to meet Ashton Kutcher of "Dude, Where's My Car?" fame. That should be a $10 mil. reward right there.]

I wonder where the $10.000.000 came from. Surely, you can't sue people (or in this case MTV) for an arbitrary amount of money?

HeartlandGirl said:
MTV needs to learn to leave people alone and play some f*cking videos for a change.

Very well put, HeartlandGirl!

$10 million is a little much, but people shouldn't have to deal with fake dead bodies and being videotaped for some random TV show.

it seems Swallow and DrTeeth are the only ones here who realize how absurd it is for people to demand $10 million because somebody pulled a dumb prank, traumatized??? gimme of fucking break, it's this thought process that has made the US the land of litigation -- because people sit on juries and actually feel sorry for these vultures and award them ridiculous amounts of money in settlements

yeah. i mean if i were the judge on this, i'd rule in the couple's favour that it wasn't a nice thing to do, but i would award them like MAYBE $1,000 or less...certainly not $10 million!

The intent of punitive damages is to make the penalty "sting" the perpetrator. $1,000.00 doesn't do it to MTV, Viacom, et al. They would continue to laugh as they sign the check.

How is it so funny and alright for them to get their laughs off of an unsuspecting couple over the issue of death, yet not funny if they were forced to make a $10,000,000.00 donation to the couple? Heck, I think that would bring the joke full circle! What would that do to MTV, Viacom, et al.? Are you afraid it would put them out of business?

~U2Alabama

haha, well there you have it, let's teach 'em a lesson!

let's teach everyone a lesson!

drinks are on the house!

holy shit, I wish somebody would play that prank on me...

in fact, don't stop there, get some faux kitty corpses to trick my cat, I will acccept donations on her behalf! :)

Last edited:
I hate what MTV did to this couple but I hate it even more that our wonderful court system here in the US even allows these types of lawsuits to go forward. I'm sure MTV and the Hard Rock already offered them substantial compensation to made this go away but they figure by going public they will up the dollar figure.

These people will not get 10 million dollars. That seems to be the standard figure the lawyers throw out when the other party has deep pockets. The couple will get something in an out of court settlement, probably more than they deserve, but not 10 million.

What happened to them was wrong and they do deserve something but if you read their lawsuit at the smoking gun not only are they asking for a obscene amount of money, they are also claiming to need continued medical care, etc.

I would be really traumatized seeing what I thought was a dead body but I don't think I would need 10 million dollars to make me feel better. And I agree with everyone who thinks MTV needs to put some more of the "M" back into their programing instead of this stupid reality crap.

Let's just go ahead and remove "responsibility" from all dictionaries. No one has any concept of it anymore.

Everyone else's life should be about high ratings and cruel humor for MTV, Viacom, et al. If you don't agree with MTV, Viacom, et al., too bad.

~U2Alabama

please Bama, we're talking $10 million because someone was duped into thinking a fake body was really a dead body, we're not talking about murder and rape

U2Bama said:
Let's just go ahead and remove "responsibility" from all dictionaries. No one has any concept of it anymore.

Everyone else's life should be about high ratings and cruel humor for MTV, Viacom, et al. If you don't agree with MTV, Viacom, et al., too bad.

~U2Alabama

* passes tissue to Bama and gives him hug while quietly whispering into his ear, "It will all be alright, Bama."

CK

Yo Wanderer-
I suspect bama is missing his wife.
Shes been gone a while, I suspect hes bumping around in his empty house all lonely.:mad:
He was esp fragile on AIM tonite w another unnamed interfencer and I:)

diamond

Back
Top Bottom