msn messenger and IE6 woes...how do i get it to work????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABEL

An Angel In Devil's Shoes
this week my msn messenger beta version stopped working.

i tried downloading the new version 9 and can't get it to work. it says i need IE 6.0 (i'm still on 5.5). so i try downloading the IE service pac 1 for windows ME (cuz i don't have XP) and it won't install for some reason.

so i decide to clear off msn and reinstall version 7, it says i need IE6 for that too.

1. why does it suddenly need IE6 to install when it didn't before

2. why won't IE6 install on my combuter?

i'm sick of this thing.

:banghead: :crazy:

1. pick up baseball bat or other heavy and blunt object

2. take a running start

3. hit computer as hard as you can

4. repeat step three as nessacary

My computer's been pissing me off too. :banghead: Sorry I don't know how to help...

Last edited:
What's the error message?

You could try doing a Windows update first. That should recognize you don't have IE6 and install it for you.

yeah i tried doing a windows update too. the error message says something about not being able to find all the components and keeps telling me to reboot but then it's not able to finish the install. something like that....i'll have to look at the message again when i try it again later.

Windows ME is Microsoft's bastard child that no one wants to acknowledge, so it languishes in the basement eating fish heads.

You should really think about getting Windows XP. If your computer isn't fast enough, Windows 2000 will do. Backup all your important things, then reformat and reinstall.

Melon

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
What's the error message?

You could try doing a Windows update first. That should recognize you don't have IE6 and install it for you.

the error message i get is:

setup was unable to install all components. please close all applications and try running setup again

i've tried this many many times, shutting off all progams including my virus protection. i even downloaded the full version of IE6 instead of doing the update from microsoft.

why does service pack 1 say it's for non windows XP users? (including windows ME?)

and one more question...how do i get rid of the msn messenger beta version? every time i tried installing 6.2, it says there's already a higher version installed on my computer. i've gone into add/delete programs and deleted all the msn showing in the control panel.

:confused:

I recommend windows xp to windows ME...i have an old ME disc I would use for target practice if I could. It was so messed up that I erased my hard drive of information with BCWipe to get rid of it completely....maybe I could throw paint brushes at it and create a new work of art...lol.

Microsoft didn't create driver support for it.

You probably have either an old temp file left from the installation or a registry entry stopping you from installing the right one.
Try 'system restore' and restore your system back to a date prior to your upgrade.
I would then use chkdsk to scan for file read errors.
In xp you right click the drive under 'my computer' and select it..I think in ME you can type chkdsk in to the 'run' command then chkdsk/? to obtain commands.

REGEDIT is only for the fearless...but if you know what it insatalled you can remove the entries. After uninstalling McAffee Office by deleting registry commands...I don't recommend it unless you are on a REALLY GOOD antidepressant.

OMG i finally got msn messenger to work :hyper: :applaud:

i posted on another computer site....i had to take stuff out of the IE uninstall folder in the programs folder, and go to properties in the IE folder, uncheck the "hidden" box, but mine wasnt checked as "hidden", but it was checked as "read only", so i unchecked that and tried the reinstall and it worked! and i didn't even have to upgrade to windows ME!

i've been working on this for days!!! :crazy: :der:

Back
Top Bottom