Mr. Ed was a zebra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haaaa. Like Lassie, was a dog, not a um...bitch. Well some of 'her' weren't anyway.

Next they'll tell us there weren't 101 Dalmations, but like 5036 or something....:shifty:

:lol:

I dont buy it. :sad:

That a Zebras stripes will disappear on black and white? Come on :rolleyes:

This story doesn't make any sense and their photographic evidence is hardly conclusive. They have one photo of a zebra as photographed in color and Mr. Ed in black and white as a "zebra seen on b&w t.v." They need a photo of a zebra from a B&W nature documentary to convince me on that one.

The photo of Mr. Ed is clearly a horse. Zebras have different manes and a slightly different look to the face--something they didn't explain in the article. How did they cover up the mane? Was it a horse wig? :huh:

And I don't buy the thing about stripes not showing up...think of all the prisoners in black and white movies and t.v. shows. I don't recall any footage where they "disappeared." Maybe someone has an actual example I could see?

Snopes, I expected better. :down:

AvsGirl41 said:
This story doesn't make any sense and their photographic evidence is hardly conclusive. They have one photo of a zebra as photographed in color and Mr. Ed in black and white as a "zebra seen on b&w t.v." They need a photo of a zebra from a B&W nature documentary to convince me on that one.

yeah, I agree, I don't buy it either. I still think it's "false". it seems like a joke to me since when you click on the button to see what a zebra looks like in black and white, it shows a picture of Mr. Ed :scratch: :shifty:

Did anyone click the "More information about this page" icon near the bottom of the page?

Yes, if one clicks "More Information" one receives the following lecture: (I chopped alot out)

You've just had an enounter with False Authority Syndrome.

Everything in this section is a spoof. Mister Ed was no more a zebra than the origin of the nursery rhyme Sing a Song of Sixpence had anything to do with pirates on a recruiting drive....

What is the point of the Lost Legends section, you say?

This section graphically demonstrates the pitfalls of falling into the lazy habit of taking as gospel any one information outlet's unsupported word. We could have put up a page saying "Don't believe everything you read, no matter how trustworthy the source," but that wouldn't have conveyed the message half as well as showing through direct example just how easy it is to fall into the "I got it from so-and-so, therefore it must be true" mindset. That's the same mindset that powers urban legends, the same basic mistake that impels countless well-meaning folks to confidently assert "True story; my aunt (husband, best friend, co-worker, boss, teacher, minister) told me so."

No single truth purveyor, no matter how reliable, should be considered an infallible font of accurate information. Folks make mistakes. Or they get duped. Or they have a bad day at the fact-checking bureau. Or some days they're just being silly. To not allow for any of this is to risk stepping into a pothole the size of Lake Superior.

Well, :down: to Snopes for trying to give us a life's lesson. Pompous bastards. Trickery is not the best way to educate, which is probably why they spent so many paragraphs defending themselves.

Last edited:
Well, I didn't believe them and now I think they're even more stupid than I did before. :laugh:

People who believe the original story are only going to get their opinions reinforced by bad information. The fact that people are coming to an urban legend site means they want to see it debunked. And that link just isn't clear enough for curious researchers, imho. :shrug:

:lol: I knew it! I tend not to believe anything from snopes anyway

I tried going back into the link earlier but I couldn't get it to load again :shrug:

of course I'd turn up here

I didn't click on the link...I do not want to know, 'cause to me

A horse is a horse of course of course
And no one can talk to a horse of course
That is of course unless the horse
just happens to be
the famous MR Ed.
Go right to the source and ask the horse
He'll give you the answer that you endorse
he's always on a steady course
talk to Mr Ed
he won't yakkety yak you see or waste your time of day
for Mr Ed will never speak unless he has something to say

unlike me...yakketty yak...........:D

I:heart: Mr Ed and Wilbur Post
:lmao:
Happy memories I do not want sullied thank you!
I once saw Mr Ed parachuting....:)
and I once saw Tarzan rising a zebra he had summoned up from the zvelte...it looked wrong, wrong, wrong. They are a totally different shape to a horse. Mr Ed was a well conformed palomino( I can spell palomino now:D..)

have you seen this site?
http://skepdic.com

hours of fun
:wave:

pffft,
even if Mr. Ed had been a zebra (about as likely as me being a white negro) that show would still have ruled though :D

Claim: Common sense dictates that you should never fully rely upon someone else to do fact checking for you. But who has time for common sense?
Origins: If you're reading this page, chances are you're here because something about one or all of the entries in The Repository Of Lost Legends (TROLL) section of this site struck you as a tadge suspect, if not downright wrong.

If any or all of the stories in this section caused your internal clue phone to ring, we hope you didn't let the answering machine take the call. That niggling little voice of common sense whispering to you in the background was right ? there was something wrong with what you read.

You've just had an enounter with False Authority Syndrome.

Back
Top Bottom