Moving To Europe 101

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starsgoblue

Blue Crack Addict
Someting I've been thinking about lately....

When I graduate with my degree in bout a year and a half I want to move across the pond, particulary to Ireland because I fell in love with that country over there despite having been to other European countries previously. Has anyone done this? Tips, stories, anything would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I think that you will have to think about the 'cultural adjustment' factor.

For example (and this is only one example off the top of my head) if you are into following sports you may miss the sports that are big in the USA. I know that one or two friends of mine who moved to the USA moved back here after a few years and one of the big reasons in their cases was they missed the sports that are popular here (like soccer rugby etc).

Regarding work visas this is something else that you would have to look into. You don't happen to have an Irish grandparent by any chance? I seem to remember someone telling me this is an advantage because it makes it easier to gain citizenship.

This government website deals with various employment and work visa matters:-
http://oasis.gov.ie/employment/working_in_ireland/

Last edited:
I actually prefer all the Euro sports to football and baseball! And I've always identified with European culture more so than American it seems. :lol:

I wish I had a Irish grandparent. I heard that's like an automatic in. But alas, no. Thanks for the link!

i haven't looked into it, but i have friends who have. apparently, the biggest issue is getting a work Visa. ireland is particularly difficult at this time, because they are the 2nd strongest economy in europe and therefore everyone wants to move there. it would be best if you could get Irish or EU citizenship- do you have any grandparents who are European citizens? if so, then you are eligible too.

another option is to find a job with an American company that has an office in Europe- that's what lots of lawyers do (work for American firms in offices abroad). that way, you don't have to worry about the Visa issues.

finally, you could always go the old-fashioned route and find an Irish guy to marry... :wink:

good luck!

My grandparents are from Russia. Would that be kosher? :slant: I don't think Russia recognizes dual citizenship though. Hmm, my grandparents may be considered Ukranian though because of how much the political geography changed there then.

Ya, believe me, I looked for eligible bachelors to marry while I was there! :lol:

Last edited:
starsgoblue said:
My grandparents are from Russia. Would that be kosher? :slant:

Don't think so I'm afraid as Russia is not a member of the EU. Ukraine isn't either (yet) but MAY join in the foreseeable future. Hard to put a timeframe on it unfortunately.

Last edited:
Europe is hard to move to and get citizenship in, as they're much more strict with Immigration rules.

I don't know how helpful I can be, since I emigrated the other way (out of Europe).

even if you grandad was irish you would have to dig up a load of paperwork etc to prove it. ill sell you my brit passport for $1 million :ohmy:

that's pretty neat that you can get dual citizenship if youve got a grandparent from some of these countries...i know a lady whose (ex)husband's parents came here from ireland, and she's trying to get her 10 yr old son dual citizenship (in case theres a draft :ohmy: )

starsgoblue said:
I actually prefer all the Euro sports to football and baseball! And I've always identified with European culture more so than American it seems. :lol:

Same here! I grew up watching (real) football and prefer it any day to the American equivalent!

If not permanently, I'd at least like to experience living in Berlin for a year or something. :drool:

yimou said:

I have a very romanticized view of Berlin thanks to One, Stay, Achtung, Zoo Station, Good Bye Lenin!, Wings Of Desire etc. :love:

Do you live in Copenhagen, yims? We'll definitely meet for a few beers, on my way to Berlin! :wink:

Zootlesque said:

I have a very romanticized view of Berlin thanks to One, Stay, Achtung, Zoo Station, Good Bye Lenin!, Wings Of Desire etc. :love:

Do you live in Copenhagen, yims? We'll definitely meet for a few beers, on my way to Berlin! :wink:

HAH, i knew it Zooty. I knew there was a U2 connection to the Berlin love :wink:

Yep, Copenhagen. City of dreams, city of everything that is good and,,, blahblahblah. Lets just hook up for a few beers.

just playin the advocatus diaboli

financeguy said:

Don't think so I'm afraid as Russia is not a member of the EU. Ukraine isn't either (yet) but MAY join in the foreseeable future. Hard to put a timeframe on it unfortunately.

Unfortunately? Unfortunately? My dear financeguy, where do you think our money goes? :eyebrow:

starsgoblue said:
Is there a mail order Irish husband service? :lol: :wink:
don't laugh. i would TOTALLY be into that.

i visited ireland over 7 years ago. i'd go back tomorrow if i could.

the guys there actually noticed that i was like, alive.

Re: just playin the advocatus diaboli

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
Unfortunately? Unfortunately? My dear financeguy, where do you think our money goes? :eyebrow:

I'm not following you.

Back
Top Bottom