Movie Soundtracks... please advise.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bound

The Fly
I don't own a single movie soundtrack. Don't know why really... So here's where you come in.

This question is posed to ONLY those of you who are a regular listener to movie soundtracks. {Lets say, you must own at least 10 movie soundtracks to qualify to answer my question. Sorry, I AM rejecting the opinions of the rest of you!
tongue.gif
}

Please list what you consider the best, or your favorite, 3 soundtracks that you own, and why.

I'd like to start checking some out, but don't know where to start!

thanks, all.

depends if u like the classical type soundtracks or the soundtracks with actual rock bands that have songs on them...

i go for hte ones that are classical in nature...

although i havent listened to mine in a long time...

Gladiator is cool or 1492: Conquest of Paradise

I'll take all suggestions, whether it be classical, rock or those that combine more that one musical style.

I have about a million soundtracks... I just love being able to buy an album and get so many different songs from different artists etc...

Singles is also one of my favorites
The Wedding Singer (if you like 80s of course)
Great Expectations
MDH of course
Grosse Point Blank

That's what I can think of now!

So many soundtracks, so little time. I'll give you more than 3 though. I'm a big fan of soundtracks.

First up would be the Passengers soundtrack.
biggrin.gif
I shouldn't have to explain this one.

The Big Chill - there's a couple of volumes, mostly older tunes from the 60's and such. A nice mish mash of the reminiscent, all fantastic songs.

The Who's "Tommy" - need I say more. The Who just rock anyway.

O Brother Where Art Though - get your roots on. May be too "hillbilly" and folky for some people's tastes and there was quite a commotion when this beat out U2 at the Grammies but this soundtrack is slick, and big props to it for getting people into the roots of rock.

Trainspotting - just get the first volume. A mix of great songs from Iggy Pop to Underworld, a great compilation of different types of music styles that go amazingly well together given the context of a soundtrack album.

The Virgin Suicides - there's actually "2" soundtracks. One is more like a score done by the delicious band called Air, and it happens to be one of my favorite soundtracks. Kind of a retro psychadelic 70's feel, dashed with electronica as well as organic instrumentation. The overall effect is very Pink Floydian and that's a compliment. The second soundtrack is more a mish mash of 70's rock and such.

Human Traffic - this is the quintissential "I'm going out to shake my thang" soundtrack that's perfect to play in your car on the way to a night out on the town. But if you hate dance music, then it might not be your thing.

Selma Songs - the soundtrack to Bjork's Dancer in the Dark. Either your like Bjork or you hate her. But if you like her and find her style innovative, this soundtrack will make your heart ache. It's haunting and beautiful and sometimes painful. It hurts so good though. But see the movie first...

Fantasia - it may seem cliche, but the music for an animated classic like this is extrordinary.

Sid and Nancy - this may be out of print, but it's worth it if you can find it.

And that's it for now. Hope I got all the bases covered.

The LOTR soundtrack is real real nice!

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

I buy sound scores not the overpriced, overrated, pieces of crap with songs "inspired" by whatever movie that have nothing to do with said movie other than to jump on the bandwagon and make money off it. *ahem* That said, I would recommend the following scores for your consideration. They make a fine addition to any CD collection, imho.
smile.gif

-Glory
-Last of the Mohicans
-Amelie
-Gladiator
-The Mission
-Dangerous Beauty
-Star Wars (it's a classic, you ought to have it
wink.gif
)

thanks everyone.. and keep 'em comin'!

lots of appealing suggestions, several of which I've heard mentioned favorably before, both "in here" and elsewhere. I'll definitely check many of them out.

NOw, for those of you who chimed in with a response, but did not meet my strict instructions as to who can and CANNOT respond to my survey... Well, may all of you be forced to listen to a compilation of Creed, Nsync, Celine Dion, Henry Rollins and Winger at maximum volume for 24 hours straight!

ok, maybe that was a bit too sadistic!
biggrin.gif

tongue.gif

I have thousands of soundtracks, I LOVE collecting them... here are my faves;

1. GLADIATOR by Hans Zimmerman.
2. The GODFATHER TRILOGY (including Mascagni's CAVALERIA RUSTICANA in GODFATHER III).
3. JEAN DE FLORETTE
4. HANNIBAL by Hans Zimmerman.
5. PULP FICTION
6. AMELIE
7. LOLITA (the Adrian Lyne one, with music composed by ENNIO MORRICONE)
8. THE PIANO by Michael Nyman.
9. BLADERUNNER by Vangelis.
10. 1492: CONQUEST OF PARADISE, by Vangelis.
11. VANILLA SKY
12. THE ENGLISH PATIENT

Ok, I have 26 soundtracks! I haven't bought one in a long while though, so they me be too dated for you...

1. The Saint -> crap movie, but amazing tunes. Very electronic and dancy, ranging from Moby to Daft Punk to David Bowie.

2. Trainspotting (Both CD's) -> again electronic dance music. GOt some good tunes in there by Primal Scream and Iggy Pop

3. Saturday Night Fever -> a must own.
biggrin.gif

For the instrumental variety I'd have to recommend:

a. Last of the Mohicans

b. 1492

Honourable mentions that I want to own but don't-> "Gladiator", "Lord of the Rings" and "O Brother Where Art Though"

My opinion barely qualifies as I have 9 or 10 soundtracks. But many are with U2 tracks on them and most of those are really good.

- Until The End Of The World It has a different version of U2's Until The End Of The World on it, but also many excellent(original) tracks by other superb artists such as the Talking Heads, REM, Lou Reed, Elvis Costello and Daniel Lanois.

- The End Of Violence IMHO, it has U2's best track of 1997 on it (the duet with Sinead O'Conner "I'm Not Your Baby") and some other excellent tracks such as the movie theme by Ry Cooder, Michael Stipe & Vic Chesnut, Los Lobos and Whiskeytown (the former band of Ryan Adams)

- The Million Dollar Hotel The first sign by U2 that everything was well in 2000 (The Ground Beneath Her Feet and Stateless). Bono sings on 3 other great tracks with his all-star band and the soundtrack just has a great flow (but Mila Jovovich can get on your nerves)

Non U2
- Jackie Brown Some great Seventies soul tracks (Bill Withers, Bobby Womack, Randy Crawford), made popular again by the man who gave soundtracks a new life in the '90s (Quentin Tarantino that is). Throw in some great other tracks (Johnny Cash, Foxy Brown) and some hilarious dialogue from the movie and you have yet another soundtrack classic.

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Gladiator
Run Lola Run
Fight Club

those'll give you some wicked wicked music!

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
I buy sound scores not the overpriced, overrated, pieces of crap with songs "inspired" by whatever movie that have nothing to do with said movie other than to jump on the bandwagon and make money off it.

LMAO sula! I agree with you sorta, there are some soundtracks out there that have nothing to do with the movie, but I still really like the soundtracks with songs 'from' the movie. Doesn't matter to me if they weren't written for the movie, because back in the days before CD burners, soundtracks were a great way to get good mixed CD's with tunes you like. Plus if you are a movie buff like myself, good soundtracks are nice reminders of you favourite movies.

Anyway, that said,
wink.gif
scores rock !

I really can't give you a list cause i'm only absolutely sure of one Soundtrack.

HEAT

This is my favorite soundtrack of all time. The music seems like it's a perfect flow. It has the most replay value of any of my soundtrack CD's. It's very dark in nature, very city, ambient and stylish, just like the movie. It makes you feel like you're in LA at night. It's mellow and then tough, and then beautiful all at the same time. Tracks by U2, Moby, Brian Eno, but mostly Elliot Goldenthal. A lot of instrumental music, not many lyrics at all really, except for a couple of songs, but sometimes that doesn't matter. More like a score than a commercial soundtrack. Fantastic.

But...

if you're looking for something with more lyrics and speech, and a soundtrack more than a score, go with BATMAN FOREVER, which can basically counts as my 2nd choice. This soundtrack has a great mix of good tunes from that era. PJ Harvey, Hutchence, U2, seal, massive attack, sunny day real estate, etc.

Both movies came out around the same time. Both soundtracks are amazing. But HEAT is the best. More beautiful than anything i've ever heard, and just as edgy and stylish.

Originally posted by ultra_violet_fish:
go with BATMAN FOREVER, which can basically counts as my 2nd choice. This soundtrack has a great mix of good tunes .

thank you, though my opinion dosen't count
wink.gif

reservoir dogs.. i gotcha uh huh uh huh, lol
cruel intentions
braveheart
trainspotting
selma songs
grosse point blank
godfather (!)

Back
Top Bottom