Movie scenes that make you uncomfortable...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CTU2fan said:

Speaking of Stephen King movies...what about the "hobbling" scene in Misery?
First thing that came to my mind.
On a simliar note, the bar scene in "The Fly" when Goldblum arm wrestles the guy and snaps his wrist.

Argh that damn arm wrestling scene in The Fly. I can't bear to watch - or hear - snapping or wrenched limbs. That was horrible.

Also the fly vomit scene was very disturbing. David Cronenberg is a real sicko. Thank goodness he didn't shoot American History X otherwise we would have actually seen the kerb biting, and up close. Good call on that by the way.

I loved The Thing, though the difibrillation scene is probably the one that makes me squirm a little more than the other stomach churning scenes.

Also...

The mother's mental and physical deterioration in Requiem for a Dream.

The Prestige - Angier's fate after every performance..

In a movie called A Simple Plan, there's a scene where Billy Bob asks his brother to do him in...

The Omen I & II - any scene where an unseen force makes someone die in a truly horrible way, ie. much of the film. Ditto Final Destination.

28 Weeks Later - the eye gouging scene.

Wolf Creek - "This is a knife.."

That damned bear thing in Mulholland Dr..

As a kid, the clown under the bed in Poltergeist was terrifying, also the face tearing scene.

The finale of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. :faint:

And.. the opening of Alien 3, showing the carnage inside the escape shuttle... somebody wake up Hicks.. :sad:

Most of these are burned into my memory. I should probably give up watching thrillers..

UberBeaver said:
The nail scene in Serpent and the Rainbow. Holy fucking shit.

Yeah, was thinking of that one...that's a badass movie in a B movie kind of way.

Zihua said:
\Wolf Creek - "This is a knife.."

Oh man, that whole movie is one giant mind-fuck which leaves your senses assaulted for years (it seems!) afterwards! His work on her fingers (was that the same section of the movie?) caused me physical pain just watching.

Hewson said:
And lets not forget the wrestling in the hotel room scene in Borat...very disturbing.

Argh, good one.. Laughed 'til I cried during that part, but maybe that was just my way of dealing with the trauma.. :)

Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Oh man, that whole movie is one giant mind-fuck which leaves your senses assaulted for years (it seems!) afterwards! His work on her fingers (was that the same section of the movie?) caused me physical pain just watching.

Yeah that was exactly the scene that I had in mind, although I remembered that there's the earlier unsettling scene featuring the same line:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nT2qFx9iSlM

Also.... how could I forget Bad Boy Bubby? The mother & son stuff. :barf: Whatever that guy got paid to do the role, it wasn't enough.

Ugh... this thread has taught me that there are many movies in this world that I will never be able to watch. :yuck: Actually, I already knew that - I specifically avoid horror because I can't separate myself from the characters - I empathize too much & it makes me ill. (I also don't like to see gore just for the sake of showing it. Although I can watch surgeries with no problem - go figure. :shrug: )

On a much milder level than what you guys have described, any scene in which someone drowns or is trapped underwater is really difficult for me. Like I said, I empathize so much with the character, it's hard for me to not freak out. And now you guys know something that I've never told most of my off-line friends. :reject:

In a general sense, any time something bad happens or looks like it will happen to little kids, or especially babies. Not sure if anyone's seen it, but "Open Water 2" for example, when they're all in the water and the baby is alone on the boat I couldn't stand it. I actually liked the movie, but just knowing that little baby was stuck alone on that boat was very uncomfortable.

PulpMarselluButch.jpg

also... of all the violent scenese in kill bill, the one that by far makes my cringe the most is when uma slices buck who likes to fuck's achilies tendon.

ooooo that's gotta hurt.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
also... of all the violent scenese in kill bill, the one that by far makes my cringe the most is when uma slices buck who likes to fuck's achilies tendon.

ooooo that's gotta hurt.

I dunno, the rock salt in the chest has got to sting something fierce and when she rip's out Darryl Hannah's good eye, that was cool but looked pretty painful...

PlaTheGreat said:
This is still the only scene in all the movies I've ever ever seen that has made me physically ill:
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
When the girl has been strapped into the chair and she screams nonstop for about five minutes and the camera does an extreme closeup on her eye. :yikes:
Oh gawd, that movie was nuts. It's the only horror movie I actually enjoyed because it genuinely scared the crap out of me :lol: I couldn't watch it again though..

Zihua said:

Argh, good one.. Laughed 'til I cried during that part, but maybe that was just my way of dealing with the trauma.. :)

Yeah that was exactly the scene that I had in mind, although I remembered that there's the earlier unsettling scene featuring the same line:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nT2qFx9iSlM

Also.... how could I forget Bad Boy Bubby? The mother & son stuff. :barf: Whatever that guy got paid to do the role, it wasn't enough.

:scream:
He was doing an interview on ABC radio or something and was describing how long it took to get into character, isolating himself from everyone for about 6 weeks before and perfecting that god-awful laugh. He said he was disturbed by how much he was able to cnhange, and how he kept it up during filming, and then the subsequent 'normalising' once they'd finished. I reckon it has to be one of the most psychologically disturbing movies ever made. I'm no expert, usually being the type to pee myself too easily to watch too many graphic movies.

If you're into any of the background story, Sins of the Bother is a good book on the Milat family, who are obviously a part of the creation of 'Mick Taylor'. I've not read much beyond the media reports of Joanne Lees, but in all it's enough for me to never cross the Nullabor without a QANTAS engine under me.

And friends have talked to often of Bad Boy Bubby for me to ever watch that one. One especially loves these kinds of movies, and even she cringes and can't descibe it properly.
:yikes:

PlaTheGreat said:
This is still the only scene in all the movies I've ever ever seen that has made me physically ill:
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
When the girl has been strapped into the chair and she screams nonstop for about five minutes and the camera does an extreme closeup on her eye. :yikes:

I'm downloading it right now! :drool:

Zihua said:

The mother's mental and physical deterioration in Requiem for a Dream.

And THAT is the reason I will never be able to watch that movie again. It was too much for me.

I'm surprised there's so much mention of Kill Bill in this thread. Sure there's a fair few graphic scenes but it's all played for thrills.

EDIT - for anyone yet to see it, here's the uncut (Japanese) version of the Crazy 88 fight scene. The part when she plucks out the guy's eye when it goes black and white everywhere else in the world is about 1.30 in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2zWok2EdEc

Last edited:
" Henry: Portrait of a serial killer" when henry breaks the neck of a teenage boy and then henry's pal starts raping his mom

My sister and I were watching it one sunday afternoon and my Mom started screaming at us from th ekitchen to turn it off...and then I started to scream at my sister " didnt you hear mom!!!!!!!!?????????"
and then her face twisted in disgust and she turned it off and then we sat there in silence for a few moments afterward...

based on actual events

fucked up

sweetie said:
In Jacob's Ladder there's a creepy scene in what seems like a dirty littered basement of an abandoned hospital where Tim Robbins was on a stretcher - disturbing

Jacob's Ladder ftw! There is another scene where his girlfriend is talking to him up close and all of a sudden her eyes go completely black for a split second...

Back
Top Bottom