Movie Reviews Part the 12th: Does Gimli hate file conversions as well? Stay tuned!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bummed I'm missing this. Hope it's still playing somewhere when I get back to Los Angeles at the end of the month.

Fucking Kingslayer.

Voice is good and I liked it. But, it seems like Another Earth would have been the follow up. I don't know everything about production costs. But, I can't see how they spent more than $100,000 making this film. Every film student should see this film. A good script and a skilled crew can make an excellent movie.

I will say the one you or anyone should go out of their way for is

Headhunters,

great screenplay, beautifuliy shot, I can not find a weakness in it.
I guess it is another popular Scandinavian novel adaption, like Dragon Tattoo,
don't know anything about that, but this film is damn good.

I am a little bit worried about over-hyping it,
this is a film I would give a person a money-back guarantee on

I can't imagine anyone paying to see it, and then walking out and feeling they did not get their money's worth.

The Grey is the best 2012 films I've seen thus far. But I don't know how many of those I've actually seen. Probably none. It's seriously good though.

I saw it when it came out a couple of months back.
I put it in the very good category. But it is not better than Headhunters.

The Avengers

I thought it was rather disappointing. I know it's been praised for being even-handed to its big cast, but to me the end result was that every character was simply equally sketchy; there's a reason why most movies don't try to juggle gazillion protagonists. Maybe I'd feel differently if I've seen all the preceding individual movies, but then the character I liked the most (Bruce Banner/Hulk) I've never seen in an individual film, and the one character that I have (Iron Man) wasn't anywhere near as engaging as he had been in the stand-alone. There were some nice moments and humour here and there, but because the film can't stay too long with anyone it felt like it was populated with a bunch of supporting characters rather than a bunch of superstars.

It still wouldn't have mattered if the movie was at least fun to watch, but I thought that there was way too much tedious technobabble about the tesseract and most of the action scenes were rather unmemorable. The final battle is impressive if only for its sheer scale (and I loved the design of the alien ships). It's just a shame that the aliens themselves are so deeply boring.

aliens themselves are so deeply boring.

I really enjoyed the movie, but I totally agree here. The creatures weren't that cool looking. I really dislike the creature design style where everything is just an overcomplicated mess. I want to understand what I'm looking at (I hate necromorph designs for that reason too). I did like the big giant snakey things though. But one thing that really bothered me was the
Mother ship controls all the creatures on the ground, phantom menace bullshit
They finally got the look of the Hulk right

Finally saw The Avengers, and would say it maxed out the type of film that Thor and Captain America were aspiring to be. I enjoyed how the flying airship sequence was structured and fleshed out into the centerpiece of the film, and the way things transpired felt authentic, a sense often missing from studio films straining to tie together a few ideas for fight scenes.

The big fight in New York ground on a bit long, however. I get there's a tradeoff for showing how epic the scale is and giving every player a thing to do, but everything should ultimately be based on turning off the wormyhole, and seeing cars blow up in slow motion for what feels like the millionth time in a superhero film made my attention wander.

Um...Men In Black III is ridiculously good. I hope that's the end of the franchise, but seriously, the amount that it exceeded expectations for me was immense. I went to the drive in movie tonight to see that and Battleship, thinking I was in for two so bad they're good movies. Glad I saw the former as a result. The latter was far worse than I ever expected it to be. And I laughed heartily. So, really, I got what I wanted out of it.

I'm so happy to hear you say that. I've seen some movie snobs call it rubbish, but most of the people I've spoken to reckon it's pretty good and funny as well. I'll go see it next week, hopefully make up for paying to see The Dictator, which was terrible.

My mom and I were talking about it today, and I don't want to go overboard, but I *might* like it more than the first one.

MiB2 was so amazingly awful it's turned me off MiB3 completely. But if you're all saying its not so bad and better than 2, I won't object if it gets suggested for a movie night at a mate's house some time in the future.

Yeah, I have to admit I was completely put off by the fact that there was even an MiB3.

But I've read several good reviews, and it completely passed me by in the trailers that Josh Brolin is playing young Tommy Lee Jones, and now I actually want to see it.

I think your advice toward everything is "lower your expectations."

My expectations already started out at their nadir. They're raised enough now to want to see it, but they do not need any lowering.

The thing I'm most curious about is Josh Brolin's Tommy Lee Jones imitation. In the trailer, I couldn't figure out if that was actually Tommy Lee Jones digitally reversed in age. Then I read about Josh Brolin's prepping for the role in an article today, and I'm amazed I didn't realize it was Josh Brolin, so now I want to see it.

But I'll wait for the DVD.

I may see it in a theater, I go so often, and I do end up seeing a lot of marginal to crap stuff. I actually liked John Carter more than I expected because of all the negative publicity on it. I am a pretty big Brolin and Tommy Lee Jones fan.

Next on my list may be, First Position, a doc about kid ballet dancers,
then that one about the old folks going to India, (looking at future options)

Finally saw The Avengers yesterday. Really enjoyed it. Liked the humor (I think I was the only one in the theater who laughed when Stark called Thor "Point Break"), thought the action sequences were well done, characters blended together pretty well. Definitely hit the mark for a comic book film.

The thing I'm most curious about is Josh Brolin's Tommy Lee Jones imitation. In the trailer, I couldn't figure out if that was actually Tommy Lee Jones digitally reversed in age. Then I read about Josh Brolin's prepping for the role in an article today, and I'm amazed I didn't realize it was Josh Brolin, so now I want to see it.

My friend and I were discussing the possibility of a special one time only Academy Award for Best Young Tommy Lee Jones.

(I think I was the only one in the theater who laughed when Stark called Thor "Point Break")

Right with you on this one.

Just watched Tiny Furniture. Lena Dunham's feature film debut that was released a couple of years ago. She's basically playing the exact same character that she plays on Girls, with much of the same dilemmas. But the humor and honesty and weirdness is there, and I really like her style, so this gets a thumbs up from me. It's a bit quieter than Girls, and a bit slower and less busy, but it works. Of course the pacing would be different because one is a feature and the other is a 30 minute sitcom but, yeah.

Anyway, the show is stolen again by Jemima Kirke, who I am, at this point, completely in love with. These are Dunham's stories, and she's great, but Kirke is the best thing about Girls, and the best thing about Tiny Furniture. I think she's beautiful, and fucking hilarious, and fascinating. Great screen presence, she dominates every scene with her voice and her confidence and attitude and great facial expressions. Jemima Kirke. Yes. And Dunham is the shit, too.

Prometheus reviews are out and about since it's been released overseas, and......sounds like a decent film with a few dents in it. A lot of credit for Ridley's visual flair (yeah, not surprising), bigger questions about how the film unfolds/ends.

I bought two movies at Wal-Mart I wanted on Blu-Ray so I could see Prometheus for "free". My dog destroyed one of the coupons, but that's cool, I'll just buy another movie. Hitting that shit next weekend.

I saw a poll on Facebook earlier today that asked if you were planning to see the film in theaters, however, and the overwhelming response was "Definitely not".

Should Moonrise Kingdom have its own thread?

Really loved it.

Watched it last night and really enjoyed it too. I was worried the Wes Anderson-ness of it would really distract me and I'd end up resenting it, but I enjoyed it a great deal. Great casting for the lead kids. It was a funny little movie

Back from the midnight screening, and I really liked Prometheus. It's basically Ridley Scott doing an updated, bigger budget remake of his own movie. Of course it's no secret that this is part of the same mythology, but there are so many similarities to his original Alien, from specific imagery, to the sets, to the characters, and even many plot turns and dramatic situations. Still thought it was very cool. I definitely recommend it.

The visuals are great (and I'm not just talking about Charlize's ass in spandex! HAR HAR HAR!), the score is strong, and the cast does a fine job. Stringer Bell is just a bad motherfucker, and he ends up getting a couple of the film's biggest laughs. Fassbender, Theron, Rapace, all good. The latter, especially, got me to really root for her character once all the hell broke loose.

Prior to seeing it, I made a $5 bet with one of my friends that the infamous Giger alien creature would show up at some point in the movie. I even joked that it might not show up until the very end and that the last shot would be the alien jumping out from behind something and screaming at the camera before it fades to black. And......that's basically exactly what went down! I won the bet! As the credits rolled, my friend handed me the five and said "I can't fucking believe that just happened."

Also, somewhere in the last act, there's a candidate for best abortion scene in film history.

I agree that it's well worth seeing and many of the aspects are great, but overall it felt inconsistent. Some scenes seemed hastily written and at least half of the (17!) crew members are superfluous.

dude, that's a total Caesarian, that muther was born big, bad and pissed off.

Also the gaps between this movie and Alien feel like a big 'fuck you' by not tying together properly. Given how closely they try to link to the original, it just seems mean spirited. The fact it's co-wrote by one of the Lost honchos adds to my ire.

I know I'm bagging on it, but GAF already posted a lot of positives that I agree with. There was also a line of dialogue quoted from Aliens that made me cheer.

Coppola's Twixt is a lot of fun. Less austere (and maybe less photographically gorgeous) than his previous two films, this is at least as visually inventive, feeling at times like the digital age companion piece to his Dracula, interested in old style optical effects and cinematic staging, but with a sense of spontaneity his DV work has afforded him. Very Lynchian at times as well, with equal call backs to his earlier Rumble Fish, and maybe Lars von Trier's Antichrist at times? That may be a stretch. Really enjoyed this though.

Oh, and also features an outstanding brief improv sequence from Kilmer I won't dare spoil. Classic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom