Movie Reviews Part the 12th: Does Gimli hate file conversions as well? Stay tuned!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Drive is better than Tree of Life
only because Tree is so uneven, the middle part is very good, Pitt family story. The beginning and end parts are interesting, but are not part of that movie.
my second viewing, both in theaters, left me liking the middle part more and along with Sean Penn, wondering what he was doing in the movie.

I saw the Moneyball movie, it is pretty good
a lot of just talking, hopefully Pitt will only get a nomination for that one, academy voters are more likely to vote for him if they like the movie.

LMP said:
Shades of Anne Hathaway in Havoc.

There are not enough weeping bald eagles to adequately express how I felt about that. And in other Naked Hath news, Love and Other Drugs will be on HBO soon. It will receive several dozen viewings.

Anyway, Drive was incredible. Best film I've seen in a long time. And though I did really like Tree of Life, give me the Gosling over it.

Well I'll probably just put a record on and watch it on mute. Maybe pour a nice cabernet. Light some candles. But perhaps I'll have to take your review into consideration.

There are not enough weeping bald eagles to adequately express how I felt about that. And in other Naked Hath news, Love and Other Drugs will be on HBO soon. It will receive several dozen viewings.

Anyway, Drive was incredible. Best film I've seen in a long time. And though I did really like Tree of Life, give me the Gosling over it.

A couple of friends and I stumbled onto one of the more notable scenes from Havoc under the tag of "Anne hathaway sexy nude scene." Needless to say, there was not a lot of truth in that advertisement.

So Drive is the arbitrary Interference hit of the season, huh?

Color me very, very, very fucking uninterested.

Sorry, I'm just jealous because I haven't seen it yet and a few of you have and are able to share your mutual love for it.

Chalk me down as enjoying Drive somewhere between the Laz and Lance/Impy camps.

Poor Christina Hendricks.

she is a chubby girl, she should drop 20 pounds in a hurry. her 15 minutes, bout up
lucky for her she gets so much Mad Men love.

she is a chubby girl, she should drop 20 pounds in a hurry. her 15 minutes, bout up
lucky for her she gets so much Mad Men love.

:rolleyes:

I haven't seen Drive so I don't know about her acting in that, but what relevance does her weight have?

I think she's a goddess just the way she is.

NYFF starting this week. I'm seeing Kaurismäki's Le Havre, Ceylan's Once Upon a Time in Anatolia, Tarr's The Turin Horse (really excited about this one) and the Andrew Bird documentary. I'll try to post reviews - hopefully the main slate this year is as good as 2010.

NYFF starting this week. I'm seeing Kaurismäki's Le Havre, Ceylan's Once Upon a Time in Anatolia, Tarr's The Turin Horse (really excited about this one) and the Andrew Bird documentary. I'll try to post reviews - hopefully the main slate this year is as good as 2010.

Daaaamn fine choices, bro.

The Golden Compass

The perfect kids movie

RUINED by censorship issues :mad:

Contrary to the billing that big names such as Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig were made to be the stars of this movie (along with a host of names such as Eva Green, Ian McKellan) the kid that plays Lyra is in pretty much every scene in the film.

You mean the kid that you had as your avatar recently? Don't be coy with me. I see all. :wink:

I liked that movie, by the way.

I'm especially waiting to hear your thoughts on Le Havre, so don't disappoint us!

You know, I'm not as excited about the story in this one. A French elder helping an African immigrant? - sounds like it could be a nice Dardennes brothers film. But Kaurismäki and the references to French resistance films like Army of Shadows certainly make it interesting. We'll see this Sunday.

A few of my friends who've seen it have nothing but unanimous praise for it. Surely one of the best films of the year. Wish I were going with you :)

A few of my friends who've seen it have nothing but unanimous praise for it. Surely one of the best films of the year. Wish I were going with you :)

That's good news, thanks! This is one of my favorite weeks of the year here, very exciting.

The Kid With a Bike is vintage Dardenne, meaning it's fantastic if a somewhat known quantity going in.

Ah, what the hell, ended up watching My Soul to Take, which I wanted to see pretty badly last year and didn't get a chance to. It's really not bad. Had Craven all over it. Some really thrilling moments, the biggest flaw though would be a spoiler:

Too too many twist endings at the end there. I really lost it when I thought the sister was the murderer, that was a great moment, then it was like, oh it's not her? It must be Alex then? Oh wait, Maybe it IS Bug? Oh wait, maybe it's Jerome! No wait, it is bug. No...not it's Alex...oh...

Kind of took a lot of oomph out of the movie. But the beginning especially holds some awesome scary moments, and the character of Bug is a pretty awesomely creepy character because
Even if he wasn't the ripper, he's still really creepy schizophrenic and you got to kind of wonder what's going to happen to him as he gets older.

So, yeah, decent "scary" cheesy flick, if you were looking for one to watch this Halloween season.

You know, I'm not as excited about the story in this one. A French elder helping an African immigrant? - sounds like it could be a nice Dardennes brothers film. But Kaurismäki and the references to French resistance films like Army of Shadows certainly make it interesting. We'll see this Sunday.

I know it might seem slight compared to the rest, but I want to see how he handles this story, and the buzz it's had has been quite strong. That said I avoided reading any full reviews, just got bits of reactions.

The Kid With a Bike is vintage Dardenne, meaning it's fantastic if a somewhat known quantity going in.

I really like this one. I still need to see The Child, which is also great supposedly.

My suggestion of The Son in the Interference Movie Club didn't go all the well, though. :reject:

The Bad Seed

Generally well acted (there was some overacting, particularly from the mother, but the daughter was brilliant) and otherwise solidly plotted film with one of the dumbest endings I've ever seen. The resolution (or lack thereof) is like something a 10 year old boy would have come up with. No surprise that the film has a radically different ending from the novel and play. The preceding 30 minutes weren't great either, but everything else left me very intrigued and I found the careful build (which occurred somewhere in the middle, to the film's detriment) very well done.

7/10? Something in that ballpark.

girl who kicked the hornets nest - first movie of the series was good , all the rest , not so much , still i love that punk girl , besides that , ain't much

miserin -public enemy number one , parts 1& 2 - reminded me of che guevara books , not too bad , gritty , plenty of sex , they shouldve kept gerard depardeux in both movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom