Movie Reviews part 13: How many movies will Jessica Chastain star in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, well he could effectively communicate anything he wanted if he wasn't equally interested obscuring his own language and playing games with readers and whatever. Fancies himself a novelist, probably.

He's a dick. I take his/your point, though.

For some insane reason I was trying to think of the most exposition-free films I had ever seen a few days ago, so this ties in to my brain waves.

Some of what Before Midnight loses is replaced by what it gains by wholly relatable and realistic issues that plague relationships, but, as you say, that's not new ground....but it sure felt about as well done as could be in regards to presenting said issues. At least to me.

I have not but am intrigued now. Amazon prime has it, sweet.

Laz, help me out here....what was the name of the film you were really high on a few months ago, maybe longer....one you said really needed to be seen on a big screen...I know that's vague but I actually asked you more about it in the thread. Fuck my senility.

it wasn't a few months back, but he did say Sarah Polley's Stories We Tell
was the best thing he has seen all year.
I saw it and I like it more than Before Midnight.

THIS IS THE END was pretty damn funny. I'd recommend it if you like Rogen and his crew.

The party sequence at the start, before everything goes to hell, is one of the definite highlights, but it's a shame that a number of the big moments from it were given away in the trailers. Oh well. Emma looked great, but didn't have much to do. I'd guess she was on set for about six hours. McBride stole a lot of scenes, and Michael Cera's turn is a memorable one.

Watched The Dead Zone last night. Loved it, I'm a huge fan of David Cronenberg. This weekend I'm going to watch Naked Lunch on blu-ray.

Seeking a Friend For the End of the World

I had little expectations about this, but what a pleasant surprise! Funny, sweet and a little sad.

Catching up on reviews:

Superman 7.5/10 This was a good franchise opening movie (and much better than Superman Returns) but I'm expecting more in the sequel. The acting was good and the action relentless (and brutally loud in IMAX). The flashbacks worked well and kind of made Superman's character development happen quickly so we can get to the battle. Lane and Costner are both good in their roles. Shannon was great. Cavill is perfect for the role. Adams didn't have too much to do but I'm sure we'll see more in the sequel. The special effects were great but I would recommend 2D IMAX for the action and sitting farther back in the theatre. I can't imagine how the front row people could enjoy this movie.

Iron Man 3 7/10:I like this much better than Iron Man 2. There are a couple of good jokes and the action was top notch. It's not as good as the first one but at least it redeems the series.

Star Trek Into Darkness: 7/10This was funny and had some touching moments but didn't blow me away.
Once Carol Marcus enters the scene you know who the bad guy is.
There are shades again of The Dark Knight. I think Hollywood will just keep mining successful movies until the audience stops biting.

The Great Gatsby

Like most Baz Luhrmann films I've seen it took a while for this movie to click with me - for the first third or so I felt pretty disconnected from what was happening onscreen, even though all those party scenes sure looked magnificent. Plus while I have nothing against Toby Maguire he's not exactly the most exciting narrator in the world. Then once the story picked up I really enjoyed it and I thought that di Caprio was brilliant in the lead role. The rest of the cast were solid as well, except that I thought that the Aussie actor who played the husband lacked the star quality somewhat to be a convincing rival to Gatsby.

Monsters University
Well, this was fun all the way through and I laughed a few times, but there's absolutely none of the spark or emotional resonance that made Pixar so renowned back in the day. The plot is split between generic campus tomfoolery (will they beat the privliged frat house in the big event to avoid being kicked out?) and how Mike and Sully became best pals (we know they do, sooo..?). Without having seen Cars 2, this is the first Pixar that, to me, is aimed squarely at kids. Yeah they've got cool actors in the voice cast (Aubrey Plaza and Charlie Day) and there's a heart to heart late in the film about digging deep or some bollocks, but there's zero depth.

But yeah, it's fun if you go in without typical Pixar expectations or for anything approaching the level of the first films final shot. We're not talking Dreamworks level of dirge or anything, just the latest from a company that hasn't released a truly great film since their Ratatouille / Wall-E peak and not much of any lasting value since Toy Story 3.

I'd call Toy Story 3 truly great. An absolutely sensational way to wrap up that beloved series.

They've got a pretty amazing record of making animated films that give me a lot of feels.

I'm resigned to Monsters U being a solid, watchable 7. I wasn't actually that big a fan of the first one, so this isn't a prequel that has the potential to ruin the original for me. I laughed at the trailer a few times, though it looked very chaotic and very Dreamworks. Not a good look for Pixar.

Still haven't seen Cars 2. Brave was a decent 6 or so. I like every movie they released before those.

Toy Story 3 was solid, but half was what they'd done before and the rest was done better by The Illusionist. It's harsh to compare one film against another, but the comparison stands.

Brave could have been great, but I'm giving that benefit of the doubt to the production strife. Shame we didn't get a singular vision, good or bad, compared to the OK final version.

Ratatouille remains the last great, original Pixar creation. I'm happy to put Wall-E on the same pantheon because the great more than outweighs the mediocre, but Toy Story 3 skates by because of it's predescors. While the similar Before Midnight builds on what came before, Toy Story 3 is merely a competent film that relies purely on audience familiarity for resonance. They haven't done anything recently that can match 2007-08

I'm afraid to see what would happen to GAF in a screening of The Bling Ring.

Great film though. Dedicated to Harris Savides. LA in cinema is never going to look the same again.

I enjoyed Monsters University. No way it would equal Monsters Inc., didn't go in with any expectation it would. Good, not great basically about a 7.

Outside of Franco, mostly not, no. A few exceptions of course since combined that's a lot of films, but, yeah, not a big Rogen or Hill fan, and McBride drives me nuts. Rogen's best in doses for me, to be fair.

GLAD YOU LIKED IT THOUGH.

just go see it. fuck sake

Back
Top Bottom