Movie Reviews part 13: How many movies will Jessica Chastain star in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Really liked it too. I was very happy with the plot and the wealth of talent in the cast paid off. Direction was a mixed bag and it was tied up too cleanly but overall I liked it much more than the second one, and a little less than the first. Not bad at all.

We saw it Saturday and enjoyed it. Delivered basically as expected. The kid and Downey played well off each other. I enjoy the subtle one liners that many of the theater goers (especially the kids) don't get like when he called the bald bad dude "west world".(reminiscent of when he calls Thor "Point Break" in The Avengers) Think I was one of 2 or 3 in a packed theater who laughed at "West World" .

We saw it Saturday and enjoyed it. Delivered basically as expected. The kid and Downey played well off each other. I enjoy the subtle one liners that many of the theater goers (especially the kids) don't get like when he called the bald bad dude "west world".(reminiscent of when he calls Thor "Point Break" in The Avengers) Think I was one of 2 or 3 in a packed theater who laughed at "West World" .

Same here. I laughed out loud at the west world reference but few others did.

Not sure what G.I. Joe had to do with what was posted above, or what Brokeback has to do with G.I. Joe.

All I know is, someone has shitty taste.

His Girl Friday

I liked it OK, but this is one of those old timey romantic comedies that actually felt very stuck in its time. Bringing Up Baby? It Happened One Night? Some Like It Hot? Brilliant. But this one, boy there were problems. The editing was a mess, terrible cuts left and right, some flubs in the audio and TERRIBLE sets (the jailbreak scene lololol) took me out of the film more than I would have liked. Walter Burns was a corny, fast-talking newspaper editor stereotype and Bruce Baldwin was a shell of a man. Rosalind Russell absolutely killed it as Hildy though, terrific character brilliantly portrayed.

The screenplay was great. I've seen it praised before, and it was the only thing about this film that really kept it afloat. The dialogue was witty and sharp and as stereotypically as Grant may have played his character, he did have some good lines.

This thing was headed towards a sloppy but enjoyable 7/10, but I'm knocking a point off for the shithouse ending. It had a very Casablanca-esque resolution to its love triangle until, out of the blue, everything about the two leads being a shitty married couple was thrown out the window and we're left with something out of a cheesy sitcom. Boooooooo. I realize it was a different time, but I don't have to like it.

6/10

Try watching The Awful Truth next. Grant at his best.

Also, The Philadelphia Story, which isn't as well directed but has a great script, plus Katharine Hepburn and James Stewart are in it too.

Try watching The Awful Truth next. Grant at his best.

Also, The Philadelphia Story, which isn't as well directed but has a great script, plus Katharine Hepburn and James Stewart are in it too.

Will do. Fairly certain that the Philadelphia Story is already in my Netflix queue, and I'll add the Awful Truth as well.

Since you mentioned Cary Grant, I wonder...does laz hate arsenic and old lace as much as my 11th grade film class teacher did? I still love that movie, and will continue to regardless of any of your opinions. Just curious.

Also:
My favorite wife > bringing up baby
Or so I remember it being.

Never seen it. I don't know why. I get in the mood for a film like that and make my choices pretty arbitrarily. Now I have the impetus to watch it, I suppose.

Arsenic and Old lace is a lot of fun, but Grant is fairly straight in that one compared to th Rey of the cast.

Having said that, he's also against type playing an uptight professor in Bringing Up Baby, which is regarded by many as the pinnacle of screwball comedy.

Just as important are the works of Preston Sturges, who was a major influence on the Coen Bros, among others (Hudsucker Proxy and O Brother are both very direct homages). He's on of the wittiest writers in Hollywood history, and also one of the first to be allowed to direct his own films.

Try these:

The Miracle Of Morgan's Creek
Hail The Conquering Hero
Sullivan's Travels
The Lady Eve
The Great McGinty

The Birds

After watching Rebecca yesterday and being blown away (didn't review it, but I'd probably give it 9/10), this was a disappointment. Compared to Vertigo it isn't particularly inventive visually, with the birds themselves occasionally looking great and menacing (pretty much everything in the last 20 minutes) to being dated to a distracting degree (chasing after the schoolchildren). Not terrible overall, and I realize that the effects were brilliant for the time, but overall I wasn't as entranced as I was watching Vertigo or Psycho. I loved the final shot though; what a disturbing yet vaguely hopeful image with the sun jutting through turquoise cloud cover.

One of the film's biggest problems is that the frame for the conflict was lousy. Melanie (who has a horribly grating voice) and Mitch are mediocre characters that I had very little interest in and their romance goes nowhere. Jessica Tandy is terrific as Lydia and I enjoyed her character but the protective mother thing was already explored to far greater success in Psycho and it doesn't add all that much to this film. Basically all of the character development is put on hold after the first 40 minutes (which was boring) to enter into more terrifying territory, which I really don't mind, but by the time the action really ratchets up, I still wonder who these characters really are and why I should give a damn if they live or die.

The storytelling in general is substandard for Hitchcock, though parts of it really work. I like how casually the bird attacks are treated for the first third of the film. Their appearances are creepy and never really stop being creepy at any point, so that aspect was handled well. In theory, I like that there was no motivation stated for the bird attacks; it kept me on my toes for a while and added some mystique to the proceedings. By the end of it, however, the film grew tiresome because there was no logic for anything that happened and no way to stop it. The characters were pretty much just waiting around to die, and then they didn't. And we never find out what happened with the birds or if they were ever stopped, which has a non-sequitur, Twilight Zone-ish appeal to it, but I don't find unstoppable villains all that interesting.

Maybe I'm shitting on a classic, but whatever. From storytelling to character writing on over to the visuals, it just isn't up to Hitchcock's high standards, though I enjoyed the last 45 minutes or so enough to not give it a bad score. Probably the worst Hitchcock film I've seen (I think the 10th overall) but I've mostly only watched the acclaimed ones. 39 Steps and Dial M for Murder are next on the agenda.

6/10

Love Hitch! The master of suspense.

I liked the 1999 version of The Avengers with that hunk Ralph Fiennes :drool:. I reckon that he is classically handsome, I don't care what anyone says. He has turquoise eyes and tha't my favourite colour.

But besides him being in it, I liked it anyway.

Oh and I fancy Carry Grant too. :drool: He was also classically handsome

Arsenic and Old lace is a lot of fun, but Grant is fairly straight in that one compared to th Rey of the cast.

Yeah, I wouldn't go out and call it his best work or anything, but I've always found that movie to be quite hilarious. That teacher's opinion was all based off where it stands in Frank Capra's body of work, and how it pales in comparison to everything apparently. I, on the other hand, was under the impression that with that as the only exception, Capra could go fuck himself. Don't really care if it's "cinematically mediocre," that movie is entertaining as hell.

Charge!!!!!

Walk the line.

Witherspoon got the Oscar, and she does have chemistry with Phoenix but I felt he should have won too. He portrays the battle with drugs and his father well. And to top it all he had to emulate one of most recognisable voices, and did it very well. I've read it before they did all their singing, but still that Folsom Prison blues scene when he records in the studio and sings the first song was awesome, as is the effect in the end credits with the real Cash singing.

Before Midnight
I'm just going to go ahead and call this the greatest trilogy of all time. Other series may have entries that are undeniably excellent (Hell, The Godfather has two), but I can't think of another that started off this great and actually improved each time. Maybe Wong Kar Wai...

Although I guess I'm not quite ready to say this is the best of the three, I can totally understand why that was the early buzz. If the reason we love and praise films is ultimately down to the emotional connection we feel to them, there's a lot of repressed emotion in the media world.

Actual discussion of the film below the cut as I sure wouldn't want to ruin this for anyone.

So it's a visceral punch to the gut. Roughly the second half of the film is a real time conversation as in Sunset, with the bulk of it staged like a play inside a hotel room. And they just tear each other apart. It makes the car scene from before seem like a light hearted squabble. Whereas before they were blaming their one night together in Vienna for ruining their subsequent love lives and sense of romance, here they have to face up that even together there was never going to be a fairy tale happy ever after. I'm yet to rewatch, but I don't think it will ruin the beauty of Sunset's ending, but where did we think it was going to end up?

Sacrifices have to made, children and aspirations left behind and it's always THEM doing it while the OTHER has everything easy. Fuck, I've had similar fights with my wife and it was heart stopping to see these two people, these supposed soul mates, saying some of the exact same things we've said to each other. I guess we're not so unique and it's strange to think how many other couples / Sundance reviewers had the same experience.

Because what is it that makes them so right for each other? Why do Jesse and Celine make the perfect couple? They 'connected' that one night and could never escape that bond? This new installment cries bullshit and shows them to be just as fucked up and selfish as the rest of us. Their relationship needs constant work and mutual support just the same as all of ours, they don't get to be happy and wondrously content for free. The final scene, almost a tag but thank god it's there, puts a cap on this as Jesse runs out of energy and Celine gives him an out. It can't have been easy for her and many of her points are valid, but nine / eighteen years of issues aren't going to he resolved in one night. And I love that nothing they say does get resolved, but they have another nine years to work on it. Sven if the spark is long gone, they remember why it was there to begin with.

Damn, I haven't even mentioned the dinner scene, which was strange in that they share the scene with three equally talkative couples. It shows a past, alternate version and possible future for them, and by the end it made for a nice change to see them bounce their thoughts off an audience with a different perspective.

Film of the tear for me by a wide margin and the first in I don't know how many years where my expectations haven't been let down in even the slightest way.

This is something an acquaintance of mine from another forum wrote in his distinctive half-bullshitty verbose way. But it's kind of spot on:

On the experience of Before Midnight, and very little about the film.

With the advent of the mass availability of every film ever at our fingertips at any time, the old phenomenon of the long-sought-after film has nearly vanished completely, becoming relegated to more and more obscure films and filmmakers from smaller and smaller countries. Adding to this, the availability of writing on so many films with a simple search can serve to demystify unseen films, further peeling back the allure of the unseen mystery. It makes some sense, then, in a silly psychological affront to the usefulness of art, that new films can take on so much importance in the minds of people who have so many great films yet unseen but devote such a disproportionate amount to new films that would never have interested them had they learned of their existence years after their release as opposed to years before. In this sense, the long-hoped-for-and-some-would-say-inevitable-but-no-promises-were-ever-made Before Midnight sits at the top of the pile, as it was new, its future existence was never sure but long contemplated, and it actually had a precedent upon which one could expect not just another commodity of the same type but a deepening of a previous experience. In this way, Before Midnight is essentially the pinnacle of the filesharing era's version of the 'long-sought-after film'. You may know my great love of Before Sunset, which to me is miles above the first, which meant that the trajectory implied promising things which were actually probably impossible in all physical, psychological, metaphysical, and magical realms, so this was a pretty exciting event. However, given my active disdain for the aforementioned phenomenon, I may have a psychological block (or balancing mechanism, however you want to contextualize it) against making this the end-all-be-all of events. While the 'event' phenomenon of older films may largely be gone, replaced by an 'at my leisure' mode of engagement, I still make an effort to align my anticipation of films with the expectation of quality as opposed to the fundamental capitalist mechanism of scarcity, which seems to drive the other impulse. Long story short, I was greatly excited for the film, not just its newness, but probably not to the same extent as someone overly excited about newness in and of itself.

Of course, the long-anticipated event is the story of Before Sunset, not Before Midnight. In many ways, Before Sunset is special because of its premise, a different variation of the ubiquitous 'stranger in a strange land' trope - each character is entering a situation where they have some backstory to color events but is completely ignorant of the situation they are entering and 'the rules of the interpersonal game' between the two. Everything said is new to both characters, so every bit of exposition is part and parcel with the situation, and the day-to-day trivialities aren't glossed over, they were simply missing to begin with. There are many ways in which the situation is handled that augments or adds something completely independent of the premise, but the foundational premise is something that cannot be counted upon in Before Midnight. Even the vacation that the couple are on is almost over, and the only 'fresh' event is just a trigger for one line of conversation in amongst many. In that sense, there is simply so much that either must go unsaid between the two or must be said inorganically to the audience to bridge the gap in knowledge. Which is not to say that any of the latter is done, it's just a fundamental element of the premise. Before Sunset is special in that there is almost no possibility for reverse dramatic irony, which is to say that the characters can't know more than the audience. This is certainly not the case in Before Midnight. In every fight, Jesse and Celine know each other's affectations to a far greater degree than the audience. This brings into question all sorts of possibilities and eventualities which were not possible in Before Sunset, and in many ways Before Sunset bathes in this uniquely blissful naivety, and it makes it special. Before Midnight can be compared dramatically with Everyone Else, while Before Sunset can only be compared in the quality of its human insights and empathetic truth to Everyone Else. What I'm getting at, essentially, is that Before Sunset is a film about that unique phenomenon of which the experience of Before Midnight was, and Before Midnight is a film about stuff that lots of other films are about, and while this may not mean anything, it exists. Looking at my favorite films, the inherent power and uniqueness of the premise certainly acts as a boon to my enjoyment, and Before Sunset trumps Before Midnight in spades in this respect. It also trumps Before Midnight in its characters' unceasing adorableness, which groups it with that actually-pleasant variant of 'pleasant cinema' which I so love. So when I say that I do not love Before Midnight immediately as much as I still love Before Sunset, it doesn't really mean anything. And to many others, when they find that they love Before Midnight so much, and it is aided so much by it being so new and long-awaited, it doesn't really mean anything, either. What actually does mean something are those things in the film which will be meaningful to me in 9 years, when the next event hopefully comes along. And I don't really know yet. But it'll have to contend with repeated rewatches of Before Sunset, which may give it the defeat by default. Nobody ever said love was a fair fight.

Before Midnight is absolutely wonderful, and a fitting conclusion I didn't expect to work as well as it does. But Before Sunset is completely special. There's nothing else quite like it in all of cinema. The other two films don't really work in the same way, even though they're all so similar.

Also, a bit more superficially, I'm not in love with Before Midnight's ending. And Sunset's ending is one of the finest of all time.

Jesus Christ, Lance, I'd rather read two sentences on a film from you than what your acquaintance wrote. Sometimes the internet needs an editor, fuck. I wish his style was distinctive but sadly he's just one of a slew of people whose deep knowledge of a thing is matched only by their inability to effectively communicate about that thing.

That being said, I do agree that the middle film is the most special of the three, and has one of my favorite endings of all time. I liked Midnight's ending a bit more than you did, though.

The fact that this trilogy even exists blows my mind.

Yeah, well he could effectively communicate anything he wanted if he wasn't equally interested obscuring his own language and playing games with readers and whatever. Fancies himself a novelist, probably.

Anyway, the main point in all that I agree with is how Sunrise and Sunset in particular are unique in the perspective that the characters are effectively privy to no more information about each other or the world of the film than the audience is at any given moment. And Sunset is extra special in that the 9 year gap felt by the actual production of the film and the audience's relationship to the film is exactly the same as that experienced by the characters as well.

Before Midnight both gains and loses something by the fact that the characters have a shared life in the 9 years since the last one. As such, a lot of the conversations in Before Midnight are designed to almost subversively fill in the blanks for us. It's all exposition, of which the last two films had practically none, but at least it's exposition written in the best possible way. Also at this point it's just a film about a marriage, and there are millions of those. Still, it's an extra special film about a marriage because of the preceding two films and our relationship to those and these characters.

So yeah. I loved it, but it can't be my favorite. The musical score though, omg right?:heart:

Back
Top Bottom