Movie Pet Peeves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiger Edge

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I feel the need to start this thread.

I've watched a lot of movies but I must say the thing that irritates me most is a "The End" right before the credits roll.
Is it really necessary to point out the end of a movie? The plot should be resolved, the music should be coming up and either it fades to black or the the shot stands still before fading into black. It just seems like an insult to my intelligence to additionally have the words "THE END" on the screen. It's not elegant. And come to think of it, I don't like it in books either.

Any others? :drool:

Sometimes it's really not the end though and after you've left the theatre you realize there was a scene after the credits :sad:

I like being told when I can leave

My pet peeve would be product placement which is getting a bit out of hand :grumpy:

redkat said:
Sometimes it's really not the end though and after you've left the theatre you realize there was a scene after the credits :sad:

I like being told when I can leave

You can get out of my thread now. :grumpy: ;)

My pet peeve would be product placement which is getting a bit out of hand
YES. :mad:
I sat through Pay It Forward and counted about 30 product placements for Pepsi. Enough, really. :mad:

In action movies, when the main character beats/kills 30+ people but he doesn't have a scratch on him.

U2girl said:
In action movies, when the main character beats/kills 30+ people but he doesn't have a scratch on him.

Seriously! What's up with that rule where the bad guys always have craptastic aim and the protaganist gets one shot and they die?

I'd like to add that this rule applies to vehicles as well. I remember being beyond pissed off that a) I had to watch the last James Bond movie but more importantly that b) This red car falls out of an airplane, lands in some shallow water completely unscathed and then if I remember correctly, they parachute down and drive off in it.

:angry:

What about "THE END" before the credits, followed by a question mark? As if the threat of a sequel will improve the movie going experience.

Action films have plenty of pet peeve points:

1. Unlimited clips - fire as many shots as you like, you never need to reload.

2. "Fair fights" - when surrounding the protagonist, bad guys will then attack one at a time.

Horror films

1. Why do promiscuous couples seem drawn to dilapidated buildings to get it on?

2. Once there, why do they feel the need to open a portal to hell?

3. Gore is not better than suspense.

I'm probably alone in this, but I dont like movies that play backwards, or jump around. Like Memento :mad: Even though I love that movie... I hate to be confused :lol:

Sicy said:
I'm probably alone in this, but I dont like movies that play backwards, or jump around. Like Memento :mad: Even though I love that movie... I hate to be confused :lol:

but those are the best kind of movies!

/other extreme

shitty cop-out endings to otherwise good movies. dogma was a good movie, but the ending sucked. and no, not just because whatsherface was god, the whole ending was just lame.

decent movies with trailers or descriptions on the back of the box that make them sound like a snoozefest, but they actually turn out to be good movies. the commercials for an ideal husband made it look wicked lame, but it was funny. hell, though, the only reason i rented it was because i knew beforehand that it was based on oscar wilde. wonder boys - spiderman and either michael douglas or the guy who looks exactly like him were in it. it sounded ridiculously cheesy and lame, but it was hilarious.

and i agree with the action hero thing where the good guys have like 6 people (or mutants - i saw xmen last night) on their side, and they manage to destroy the entire amry of bad guys.

Sicy said:

I loooove it :drool:. It worked great with Memento's plot. Off the top of my head, I can't think of many movies it's been done with other than 21 Grams and Tarantino's movies. I thought it was really unnecessary with 21 Grams, though. It didn't do much to enhance the movie at all. It came off too gimmicky and random. I found that movie to be rather bland.

Last edited:
U2girl said:

Exactly - you'd think a little pipsqueek like Tom Cruise would at least have a few scratchs....but noooooo :wink: :D

Sicy said:

Memento :drool:

and I agree with QB about 21 Grams. Would've been better without the storylines jumping all over the place. Still a good movie, though.

Also, I hate happy endings :yuck:

Last edited:
Originally posted by gottage

Memento :drool:

Memento :drool: x 2

Originally posted by gottage

Also, I hate happy endings :yuck:

Says the one who loves Romcoms.

-----------------
I hate how when they use Hispanic actors they have to make them blatantly Hispanic. And they give them last names like Sanchez, Rodriguez, Fernandez, Santos, Ortiz (HATE).

I would much prefer a Cartaya or a Cisneros.

The "revealing of a bad guy who really turns out to be good, but the guy who's supposed to be the pal is the real bad guy OMGZZZ"

Mission Impossible 3 did that beautifully.

Queen Bee said:
I loooove it :drool:. It worked great with Memento's plot. Off the top of my head, I can't think of many movies it's been done with other than 21 Grams and Tarantino's movies. I thought it was really unnecessary with 21 Grams, though. It didn't do much to enhance the movie at all. It came off too gimmicky and random. I found that movie to be rather bland.

I love Tarantino's movies.. just about all of them and in most of them I can stand it but it still drives me crazy lol.

How about going to see a movie based on the kick-ass movie trailer---only to realize (after shelling out so much $$ and wasting so much time) that the only parts even worth seeing were contained in that gosh durn 30-seconds-or-more movie preview???????
(Come on, man. I want my money back!)

U2doggie said:
How about going to see a movie based on the kick-ass movie trailer---only to realize (after shelling out so much $$ and wasting so much time) that the only parts even worth seeing were contained in that gosh durn 30-seconds-or-more movie preview???????
(Come on, man. I want my money back!)

YESSSSS!

:mad:

Oh, and misleading trailers reeeeally suck too.

Last edited:
nbcrusader said:
As if the threat of a sequel will improve the movie going experience.

:lol:

I hate exploding cars. Granted, I've never seen a car be shot at, but I'm taking an educated guess that they dont all leap off the ground and roll around in a spectacular ball of fire.

I hate glib one liners. Crikey, they really get on my tits. If someone cracks a funny in a movie, no one in the plot laughs! What are they? Immune to humour???? Dont expect me to laugh if your cast wont!

:scream:

Angela Harlem said:

I hate glib one liners.
:scream:

Matt, Matt, Matt, why are you being so glib? Why are you glib, Matt?

I both hate and love when actors mess up in the movie and the directors leave it in. On the one hand, I like how it's like real life, but at the same time, it's a movie. And we've been accustomed to movies being better than real life. Or something.

Commercials before the movies.

I'll sit through 10 previews (I loooooove those things), but one commercial, and I'm restraining myself from throwing a shoe at the screen.

Angela Harlem said:
do you mean like the actor who had his digital watch still on in ben hur?

i am a compulsive fault look-out-for-er
:reject:

:lol:

Originally posted by corianderstem
Commercials before the movies.

I'll sit through 10 previews (I loooooove those things), but one commercial, and I'm restraining myself from throwing a shoe at the screen.

:mad: Yes!!! :madwife:
That's all we get in these damn Miami theaters. Local TV commercials with bad acting and stupid reggaeton music. Either that or "The 20" from Regal/AMC theaters. Both are equally bad. :barf:

Back
Top Bottom