movie about Martin Luther out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
I almost put this in FYM because of the topic but I put it here because it's a movie. The movie "Luther" is out today on DVD and video. I just got an e-mail from one of my buddies in my historical re-enactment group about it. It's interesting for a variety of reasons, I think.

I watched this is the theatre many months ago. In general, I enjoyed it. My learning style is much more suited to enjoying movies than dusty old theology books, so it was great to see Luther in flesh and bone.

However, I thought they made some strange choices in his portrayal. I've never read that he "heard voices" or the other psychological ailments they seemed to give him. Cinematic? Maybe. But for those without a solid history of the man, it gives the wrong impression.

You're right, I'm not familiar with this stuff from my history texts and it sort of screws the credibility of the drama, even though I understand they do this for artistic effect. I mean, heck, Shakespeare gave the Czech lands a coastline. That just means don't trust Shakespeare's geography. :wink:

Martin Luther is my dad's idol/hero/mentor/whatever you want to call it. Just about every sermond mentions him. I think we'll rent it (and I guarantee you he'll pick on every single minute historical detail). It should be good though.

i haven't seen it yet, but my pastor's going to show it at church some night here, and then we're going to do a study/discussion on it. should be good times.

For anyone who wants to read up . . .

I recommend "Here I Stand: A Life of Martin Luther" by Ronald H. Bainton.

My personal favorite. A little old, but it's been described as the best Luther biography in English.

It has been said that Luther probably suffered from what we would now diagnose as Bipolar Disorder or maybe clinical depression. He had very intense highs and lows, which is evident in his writing. He was a workaholic, too, producing a vast amount of writings on theology, music, Scripture, political and current events, devotionals, etc. The man was amazing, and he certainly didn't mince words when trying to make a point.

was martin luther a republican?:wink: :angry:

or a man not a child swimming against the current present day philosophy?:sexywink:

db9

Back
Top Bottom