Mount Typo, Victoria Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really should go to some Comedy Festival stuff this year. I've done a good job of intending to go to stuff for the last few years while actually seeing almost nothing.

It doesn't help that there's simply so much on that slogging through the programme feels like a chore.

That's true. But I am a comedy connoisseur and I can help you, depending on what you like/what you find funny.

For example, I truly believe you would greatly enjoy Wil Anderson, particularly given you've enjoyed him in various guises on the ABC.

Justin Hamilton has a similar style, though his show is more of a storytelling narrative. He touches on the time he spent entertaining the troops in Afghanistan, and weaves everything together really. It's intelligent and at times quite thought-provoking and moving comedy.

A good idea might also be to go to Five Boroughs or Comedy at Spleen - they're on each week and feature a rotating cast of comedians established and new alike. The former's $12 and the latter's free with a donation on the way out. They get a lot of really good acts doing short, sharp bits.

Set List might also intrigue you as well, I'll be going to several of these http://www.comedyfestival.com.au/2014/season/shows/set-list

The Gala might also give you an idea - Melbourne International Comedy Gala 2014 - Network Ten

you seen him? what's his humour like? there's quite a few off-beat acts I enjoy

Yeah, I've seen him a couple of times. Very nice guy, as well.

It's very surreal and dark; a sample from his twitter is "IQ tests in delivery rooms at hospitals: if you pass you get a baby, if you fail it gets guillotined as it comes out of the birth portal." So yeah, a pretty weird and unique comedic style. I like it! You might too!

Here's an older sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NekZzR8UZxs

Those batting averages, I take it they mean that if a batsman receives 100 pitches, 27 times he will hit the ball in play?

It means if a batsman has 100 "at bats", he has gotten a "hit" 27 times.

An at bat is one turn facing the pitcher. A hit is if the batsman gets on base after hitting the ball in play.

Now the batsman can have a turn facing the pitcher that is not credited as an at bat. If he walks (takes four balls), is hit by the pitch, sacrifices, etc.

But there's just too much time where very, very little happens... even in slow periods of a Test match there are still a lot of machinations at work to keep it interesting.

I think this is a big part of why baseball beginners or outsiders might have trouble getting into it right away. You have to become familiar with the subtle machinations (great word, btw) in baseball, because they are CONSTANTLY happening in baseball, too. Seriously. It's what baseball fans really live for. And some of it I'm sure is pretty similar to stuff that goes down in cricket.

The pitcher has a collection of different ways to throw the ball to get each individual hitter out, and it changes in every situation. The batter has countless ways to approach each individual pitcher, different ways to stand in the batter's box, different strategies. The defensive fielders are shifting their position in the field on every pitch.

The coaches are signaling to the catcher and the other fielders in secret code, the catcher is signaling to the pitcher in secret code. The substitutions made are extremely important, especially the pitching substitutions. Baserunning is a ruthless game of trying to outguess the other man and read the defensive positioning.

Etc, etc, etc. That doesn't even scratch the surface.

I watched tonight's HIMYM. It was only the second episode of the show I've seen in nearly three years. I really liked it. I'll do a write-up in the ZS thread.

That's true. But I am a comedy connoisseur and I can help you, depending on what you like/what you find funny.

For example, I truly believe you would greatly enjoy Wil Anderson, particularly given you've enjoyed him in various guises on the ABC.

Justin Hamilton has a similar style, though his show is more of a storytelling narrative. He touches on the time he spent entertaining the troops in Afghanistan, and weaves everything together really. It's intelligent and at times quite thought-provoking and moving comedy.

Yeah, this sort of stuff sounds interesting. I prefer comedy that's erudite and informed rather than stuff that relies on a kind of everyman or bogan schtick. Obviously I'm keen on politically-charged comedy, and I'm happy for it to be really dark. Come on, my colleagues and I have taught in subjects like Holocaust & Genocide, The Great War, History of Violence, and Total War: WWII. You can't get through that sort of thing without making really morbid jokes that some people would consider to be in excessively bad taste.

I'm not normally into comedy that just involves embarrassing people. To give you an idea, my least favourite Late Show and Chaser things tend to be where they do silly things on unsuspecting people - unless it's done really well, I just feel awkward for all involved. I also prefer to know ahead of time if comedians interact with their audience so that I can sit up the back. I often enjoy audience interaction, like when Ross Noble does it; I just don't want to be the person picked on because I'm not funny and I don't want to be part of the show.

Oh, and music and comedy generally should not mix. Musical comedy is generally an excuse to use lines that aren't funny spoken and try to make them seem OK because they rhyme with another equally mediocre line.

Danny, maybe we should go to a show or two together and go for a drink or something before/after! I'm super keen to see things at the comedy festival and we haven't caught up for ages.

Yeah, that's an odd collection, although Luke McGregor is outstanding, he won best newcomer last year and I'll definitely be going to see him. Boy With Tape has gotten a lot of excellent reviews and was pretty funny in the Gala, I've been meaning to see John Conway for a while.

How about you let me pick a show, I'll ask you guys if it seems alright, and we'll go for beers/dinner then comedy. Do you guys like dumplings? There's a nice, quiet, cheap place in Chinatown (not Shanghai dumplings which is fucked, and I'm pretty sure I'm banned from there anyway following my antics on Friday night) and it's BYO, and Chinatown is pretty much central to all the major venues.

I'd say great, but I'm allergic to practically all Chinese food it seems!

Also, new thread time - holy shit. I was thinking we should go to either Deddick Valley, Victoria, or get out of Victoria by going to the hilariously named Kickapoo High School in Springfield, Missouri.

It means if a batsman has 100 "at bats", he has gotten a "hit" 27 times.

An at bat is one turn facing the pitcher. A hit is if the batsman gets on base after hitting the ball in play.

Now the batsman can have a turn facing the pitcher that is not credited as an at bat. If he walks (takes four balls), is hit by the pitch, sacrifices, etc.

I think this is a big part of why baseball beginners or outsiders might have trouble getting into it right away. You have to become familiar with the subtle machinations (great word, btw) in baseball, because they are CONSTANTLY happening in baseball, too. Seriously. It's what baseball fans really live for. And some of it I'm sure is pretty similar to stuff that goes down in cricket.

The pitcher has a collection of different ways to throw the ball to get each individual hitter out, and it changes in every situation. The batter has countless ways to approach each individual pitcher, different ways to stand in the batter's box, different strategies. The defensive fielders are shifting their position in the field on every pitch.

The coaches are signaling to the catcher and the other fielders in secret code, the catcher is signaling to the pitcher in secret code. The substitutions made are extremely important, especially the pitching substitutions. Baserunning is a ruthless game of trying to outguess the other man and read the defensive positioning.

Etc, etc, etc. That doesn't even scratch the surface.

I watched tonight's HIMYM. It was only the second episode of the show I've seen in nearly three years. I really liked it. I'll do a write-up in the ZS thread.

Doubt you'll read this but thank you for this measured response GAF, I thought you'd just tell me to get fucked.

Back
Top Bottom