Mount Gay, West Virginia Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I get that. It's strange in playlist form though. If it were on LP as intended, it would come across a lot better. This is the same problem I had with I&L's DI4 list, except on a smaller scale. Their list was so damn segmented that listening to it in playlist form was one big WTF, because the sections didn't fit together at all.

At least your list is a good time for all, while theirs had that heavyhanded concept.

I see what you're saying.

I think the first 2 and last 2 sections match up in a double album format, too. I would've gone with that, but the first disc went over the 80 min. frame and I didn't want to change anything.

I see what you're saying.

I think the first 2 and last 2 sections at least match up in some way, but it is a bit segmented. I would've gone with a 2-disc thing, but the first disc went over the 80 min. frame and I didn't want to change anything.

I don't care for literal splits between sections, if you can't tell. :wink: Just my personal preference. I did a 2 disc on the DI5 I'm entering, but those keep their mood throughout the entire discs, and there are only two of them, so the complaint doesn't really apply.

II B.S.--->Walrus = iffy segue, I know what you were going for, but it's a little jumpy
Walrus--->Rained All Night = excellent immediate segue, but it throws the list off track a bit
Rained All Night--->One Of These Mornings = fantastic segue; the keyboards really help it out

After Precious came Regatta de Blanc, a kick ass instrumental. I don't think it worked very well after Precious, but it's great nonetheless.

The Blondie track was meh. Blondie is an artist, like The Cars, where they have awesome singles and perhaps a few great album cuts, but after that, it's mostly filler on the albums.

Rudie Can't Fail. Again, a bit awkward after the Blondie song, but what an excellent tune.

I don't care for literal splits between sections, if you can't tell. :wink: Just my personal preference. I did a 2 disc on the DI5 I'm entering, but those keep their mood throughout the entire discs, and there are only two of them, so the complaint doesn't really apply.

II B.S.--->Walrus = iffy segue, I know what you were going for, but it's a little jumpy
Walrus--->Rained All Night = excellent immediate segue, but it throws the list off track a bit
Rained All Night--->One Of These Mornings = fantastic segue; the keyboards really help it out

Right. I remember you being critical of my DI3 list, which had the same idea, but was pretty badly executed in retrospect.

I like the idea of starting out with one mood and having it go in a completely other direction by the end of it. For example, the first half (Freaks and Nautica) is pretty electronic and proggy and whatnot, going from dance-y music to more manipulated iterations of the same idea. By the end, you get to Please and it makes sense. Like I said, the 4-sided idea came out of necessity and wanting to making fun covers out of them. In the end, the only changes that matter are within the 18 songs of each set.

Thanks. That section in particular is a little jumpy, but the rest is pretty good, I think.

Right. I remember you being critical of my DI3 list, which had the same idea, but was pretty badly executed in retrospect.

I like the idea of starting out with one mood and having it go in a completely other direction by the end of it. For example, the first half (Freaks and Nautica) is pretty electronic and proggy and whatnot, going from dance-y music to more manipulated iterations of the same idea. By the end, you get to Please and it makes sense. Like I said, the 4-sided idea came out of necessity and wanting to making fun covers out of them. In the end, the only changes that matter are within the 18 songs of each set.

Thanks. That section in particular is a little jumpy, but the rest is pretty good, I think.

I do recall being tough on your DI3 list, but looking back on it, it was quite impressive. If anything, I think it was a nice move towards a new direction. Your DI4 has probably aged worse because it's kind of the same old, same old. These two DI5 lists though...flow-wise, they're the best you've done so far, no question, so you're moving in the right direction for sure.

Just think, if I'm harsh on you, imagine how tough I am on myself. I spend hours moving things around to get them like that.

After The Clash was The Boomtown Rats. Bob Geldof in all his glory.

Never heard this song before, actually. It's ok, I'm not into them that much.

XTC fucking rocks, though. I almost had Senses Working Overtime on my list, but it got cut at the last minute.

And you get major props for including Alice Cooper in his new wave phase. Clones is so cool.

I totally forgot about Adam & The Ants. Good call on this one. And then of course into The Buzzcocks, a song our lists share.

All of these went into each other very well, too.

Squeeze now. :up:

I do recall being tough on your DI3 list, but looking back on it, it was quite impressive. If anything, I think it was a nice move towards a new direction. Your DI4 has probably aged worse because it's kind of the same old, same old. These two DI5 lists though...flow-wise, they're the best you've done so far, no question, so you're moving in the right direction for sure.

Just think, if I'm harsh on you, imagine how tough I am on myself. I spend hours moving things around to get them like that.

I look back on the DI3 and wish I could've done some things differently, but like you said, it was a step in a new direction. Song-wise, it still holds up. The DI4 doesn't stick because the song quality just isn't there in as much abundance as the others. Thanks, I think the second half will win you over to this list over the last one.

Oh, I like this sort of stuff, don't worry about that. Yeah, I spend too much time on these kinds of things, too. It's the frustrated musician in me at work, I guess.

I'm alright, gonna go out and chill with some friends tonight. You?

I look back on the DI3 and wish I could've done some things differently, but like you said, it was a step in a new direction. Song-wise, it still holds up. The DI4 doesn't stick because the song quality just isn't there in as much abundance as the others. Thanks, I think the second half will win you over to this list over the last one.

Oh, I like this sort of stuff, don't worry about that. Yeah, I spend too much time on these kinds of things, too. It's the frustrated musician in me at work, I guess.

Remember, I weigh lists with more atmospheric songs differently than lists that don't have them, because they naturally flow together more easily (the second LP is a good example of this). So yeah, this one is flowing better, but like you said, the second half is the litmus test.

Because you sent this over to me, I think I'll send that list I showed you last night your way, because I think (and this isn't just me hyping things up) that it'll be your favorite of the lists I've made by a wide margin. Even DI3. It's a rare example of a person digging up their best set of songs 4 lists in.

Remember, I weigh lists with more atmospheric songs differently than lists that don't have them, because they naturally flow together more easily (the second LP is a good example of this). So yeah, this one is flowing better, but like you said, the second half is the litmus test.

Because you sent this over to me, I think I'll send that list I showed you last night your way, because I think (and this isn't just me hyping things up) that it'll be your favorite of the lists I've made by a wide margin. Even DI3. It's a rare example of a person digging up their best set of songs 4 lists in.

I think the 3rd and 4th LPs flow* better, so there's that. My goal is to make something fun, improve from my last list, and surprise some people a bit, all while keeping my head out of my ass.

Please do. Your DI3 was one of my favorite lists ever, so that'll be hard to top. I'll probably do a running diary of it tonight.

*WTF?

I think the 3rd and 4th LPs flow* better, so there's that.

Please do. Your DI3 was one of my favorite lists ever, so that'll be hard to top. I'll probably do a running diary of it tonight.

Awesome.

I'll see what I can do. I need to get all of the MP3s together. You'll probably have to do it tomorrow night, but no biggie.

Going with the flow today...Mr G is working an all nighter so I don't even get to go out for dinner and drinks!!! :madwife:

Oh well....he'll just have to make up for it later :evil:

That stinks. There have been drunkposters, maybe you could be the first Midway-through-celebratory-birthday-sex-poster. Drop some purity points for yourself and a few people, maybe even Mr. 99.

Continuing here...

Squeeze was great after The Buzzcocks, and the live version of Life During Wartime owns the original. Good choice using the edit from the Best Of so it fades out cleanly.

And good thing someone put B-52's on here. Worthy of inclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom