Mount Buggery, Victoria Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aww, it's alright. I didn't ever think you were a wanker. :love:

Really? I thought the US had already run away with that title entirely. A lot of the food here is just amazingly unhealthy and the presence of those, being the cheaper foods, have contributed. It's so expensive to buy "healthy" food, at least here, these days. I do try to eat what one would call healthy anyway. A nutrition freak of sorts, I suppose. Like I freak out if I don't think I got enough vitamin c and stupid shit like that. :lol:

A lot of the stuff that Americans eat though, really put me off. Hamburger is one especially. I can't tell you how many times I've been told I'm not a real American because I won't eat hamburger. Piss off. Hamburger is fucking disgusting. And of course, my loathe for hot dogs seems to be pretty extreme, too. Though it's not just meat that annoys me with our diets. The fast food, the frozen meals and stuff like that really irks me too. Yeah, I eat out from time to time (to be quite honest, chinese food is my preference and always will be.) but I hate places like McDonald's and Burger King. And Pizza is so damn overrated, imho.

Yeah, I can see how drinking habits and laziness would contribute to it. Even if you don't really eat that much fattening in the food department, the alcohol (and soda, too.) combined with not moving a whole lot can sure do it!

Aww, thanks. :)

There was some report recently that stated Australia is now the fattest. But I think it's just one report, and some of the methodology may be questionable, so I think it's safe to say that according to most sources right now, the US is still fattest, but Australia is uncomfortably second, possibly first, and heading down totally the wrong track.

See, here, I think the pricing doesn't have that disparity, and the cheapness of utter junk is one thing I noticed over your way (I visited in 2005). I find that it is usually cheaper for me to make a healthier equivalent of something myself than buy the ultra-processed nasty equivalent from the supermarket. Lasagne's a good example. I make my own lasagne and it lasts six dinners; the cost to make it is far less than it would cost me to buy six much more unhealthy frozen lasagnes from the supermarket. One reason I cook and bake a lot is because I find it more economical. The other reason is that - well, come on, ultra-processed store muffins or homemade muffins, which do you think is going to taste better?

As for hot dogs, bleh. What I like to do is fry a herb and garlic sausage and put it in a slice of bread with some onion. Good, traditional Aussie/Kiwi food too. And pizza? I loooove my pizza, make it myself a lot, but the shit you get from Domino's and Pizza Hut and whatnot is about as appetising to me as vomit.

God, I feel like I've suddenly done so much thinking on this thread! :lol:

And Reggo, I got your e-mail. I'm trying to do a good response here rather than rushing one out. The thread being alive makes that a slower process. :wink:

It took me a good ten minutes yesterday to convince my one buddy that by being Lutheran he is, in fact, a Protestant.

LMP, if you read back, damn you. I was enjoying my morning and then Old Gregg just randomly popped up in my brain. You owe me five minutes of my morning that I spent giggling like a maniac! :lmao: j/k

It took me a good ten minutes yesterday to convince my one buddy that by being Lutheran he is, in fact, a Protestant.
Uhm...uh...Er...Wow. This is so phenomenally stupid, I think my brain stopped.

Aww, thanks. :)

There was some report recently that stated Australia is now the fattest. But I think it's just one report, and some of the methodology may be questionable, so I think it's safe to say that according to most sources right now, the US is still fattest, but Australia is uncomfortably second, possibly first, and heading down totally the wrong track.

See, here, I think the pricing doesn't have that disparity, and the cheapness of utter junk is one thing I noticed over your way (I visited in 2005). I find that it is usually cheaper for me to make a healthier equivalent of something myself than buy the ultra-processed nasty equivalent from the supermarket. Lasagne's a good example. I make my own lasagne and it lasts six dinners; the cost to make it is far less than it would cost me to buy six much more unhealthy frozen lasagnes from the supermarket. One reason I cook and bake a lot is because I find it more economical. The other reason is that - well, come on, ultra-processed store muffins or homemade muffins, which do you think is going to taste better?

As for hot dogs, bleh. What I like to do is fry a herb and garlic sausage and put it in a slice of bread with some onion. Good, traditional Aussie/Kiwi food too. And pizza? I loooove my pizza, make it myself a lot, but the shit you get from Domino's and Pizza Hut and whatnot is about as appetising to me as vomit.

Yeah, I definitely think that the US will be first for a long time to come. Frozen dinners are a whole lot cheaper than most anything, so it's what people buy with the soaring food costs. Hell, certain brands sell for cheaper than a damn can of soup. The already processed stuff tends to be a slight bit on the cheaper side, for some reason. Hell, we had a cookout yesterday and one yellow bell pepper costed nearly $2. What the hell is that? Seriously.

As for Lasagna, I prefer it without meat. But I can definitely get into some homemade of it, that's for sure! :love:
I just love the food you make for yourself a whole lot more. Granted, I do get into cans of soup and things like that, too, they're not as bad for you as frozen, nasty, premade dinners.

Onions, ew. :down: I can't have them, actually. Not that I care for the taste anyway but I've noticed that when I eat something that has them in it, I tend to get very nasty indigestion.
That's what kinda pizza I meant was overrated, the kind from Pizza Hut or Domino's. I prefer to get bagels or english muffins, buy some tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese, put it in the oven and bake it for a little while and there's my dinner! On the flipside, making pizza like that is a lot cheaper than buying a premade one or one from a pizza place, most definitely. And it's a lot tastier. I like bell/banana peppers, ham and bacon on mine, though. No pepperoni.

LMP, if you read back, damn you. I was enjoying my morning and then Old Gregg just randomly popped up in my brain. You owe me five minutes of my morning that I spent giggling like a maniac! :lmao: j/k

He'll deal with it ... like he dealt with Curly Jefferson.

... you're kidding.

It'd be one thing if he were Presbyterian or Methodist or whatever. I mean, it's still "you're kidding" material, but in comparison ... Lutheran? Martin "I bringz teh Reformation" Luther? Holy shit.

Uhm...uh...Er...Wow. This is so phenomenally stupid, I think my brain stopped.

Friend: We don't have to go to church all the time. It's real chill. I went like six months ago, once.
Me: Yeah, but you're a protestant.
Friend: No, I'm not a protestant.
Me: Yeah, you're not Catholic.
Friend: No, I'm Lutheran.
Me: Right. That's a protestant religion.
Friend: We're not protesting anything!
Me: Yeah, the Catholic church.
Friend: No, that was just like Martin Luther and those guys!
Me: ... Who do you think your church is named after?
Friend: ... Oh, shit.

It turns out he thought Protestant was a denomination, not a group of denominations.

He also threw up on the side of his car later that night.

:lol: Is it a bad thing?

No, I just don't usually expect to be engaging my brain quite so much on the Superthreads at 2:30am!

But then again, I tend to do my uni work this late, so it's not TOO unusual.

No, I just don't usually expect to be engaging my brain quite so much on the Superthreads at 2:30am!

But then again, I tend to do my uni work this late, so it's not TOO unusual.
I love intelligent conversation and I tend to ramble a lot. Sorry about that! :lol:

I'm an atheist now, but was Anglican, and that was kind of sweet with regards to the Protestant/Catholic thing, since being Anglican essentially means you've got a bet each way.

God, I feel like I've suddenly done so much thinking on this thread! :lol:

And Reggo, I got your e-mail. I'm trying to do a good response here rather than rushing one out. The thread being alive makes that a slower process. :wink:
I know, I know. Took me two hours to write it cause of a vibrant thread.

Welcome to the club. I think my recent LiveJournal entries are proof in a big way of my tendency to ramble.
I do lotsa rambling in my LiveJournal.
Haven't done so for about 3 entries now, though because I just haven't felt the urge to ramble, haven't had a lot to say, in the way of well, anything.

I'm an atheist now, but was Anglican, and that was kind of sweet with regards to the Protestant/Catholic thing, since being Anglican essentially means you've got a bet each way.
I've never been religious or considered myself a member of any religion.

I do lotsa rambling in my LiveJournal.
Haven't done so for about 3 entries now, though because I just haven't felt the urge to ramble, haven't had a lot to say, in the way of well, anything.

My problem is that I've gotten out of the habit of regularly updating. Used to write a daily update, and didn't miss a day from late September 2003 to mid-April 2005. But now I'm well and truly out of practice. I'd like toi get back into the swing of things but the threads here aren't helping! Plus other factors have been at play.

In any case, it means when I do post, I often fly wildly past a limit I try to achieve of only writing 4-5 paragraphs.

And my latest stuff has been SO FUCKING NERDY, good god. Can I get any nerdier after this? A series of entries on revitalising New Zealand's railway network. FFS.

My problem is that I've gotten out of the habit of regularly updating. Used to write a daily update, and didn't miss a day from late September 2003 to mid-April 2005. But now I'm well and truly out of practice. I'd like toi get back into the swing of things but the threads here aren't helping! Plus other factors have been at play.

In any case, it means when I do post, I often fly wildly past a limit I try to achieve of only writing 4-5 paragraphs.

And my latest stuff has been SO FUCKING NERDY, good god. Can I get any nerdier after this? A series of entries on revitalising New Zealand's railway network. FFS.
I never really did update daily. I was lucky to update once a month, really. Then I got into the habit of updating it more and more but now I don't really have much to say or the patience to really do it. I'm sure one I get a good rambling bug, that I will end up updating it frequently again.
Yeah, the thread here isn't helping. I mentioned it my most recent entry. :lol:

When I post, it's usually just about that, 4-5 paragraphs but I have had the occasion where I'll post like a page and a half or more of total nonsense that nobody in their own right mind would waste 10 minutes of their lives to read. :laugh: That being said, my journal is pretty much just an outlet for when I need to bitch, when I'm excited about something, or something to that efect.

That's not nerdy, that's awesome. :up:

Wish I could say that. Goddamnit, what was 15-18 year old me thinking?
:shrug:

I was just raised outside of it. My parents never made me go to church or anything. I mean, I learned more about Jesus in my history class in high school than I did listening to any of my friends talk about church.

I don't post about my life in an LJ or anything like that. I just vent to my friends through emails.

I'm Catholic. I believe in God and Jesus and all, but not in organized religion. As soon as I leave for college, that's it for me and church.

I never really did update daily. I was lucky to update once a month, really. Then I got into the habit of updating it more and more but now I don't really have much to say or the patience to really do it. I'm sure one I get a good rambling bug, that I will end up updating it frequently again.
Yeah, the thread here isn't helping. I mentioned it my most recent entry. :lol:

When I post, it's usually just about that, 4-5 paragraphs but I have had the occasion where I'll post like a page and a half or more of total nonsense that nobody in their own right mind would waste 10 minutes of their lives to read. :laugh: That being said, my journal is pretty much just an outlet for when I need to bitch, when I'm excited about something, or something to that efect.

That's not nerdy, that's awesome. :up:

Right now, I'm just procrastinatory. I have an entry I want to make, have been wanting to make for about five days now, but I just haven't gotten around to it. Got to upload photos and stuff first. And then there's one I've been meaning to make for over a month that'll be damn hard to write and who knows when/if it will happen.

My blog's pretty much my outlet for my thoughts on everything. And I'm a serious bastard too, so it's never a recount of my day or anything like that, but my thoughts on music and politics and theology and what's happening in the world. And my over-excitedness about the rugby and cricket.

I suspect approximately zero people read the series, but I'm proud of it and think it's one of the best things I've written!

I don't post about my life in an LJ or anything like that. I just vent to my friends through emails.
I like to vent in my LJ 'cause it all gets out in that one spot and I'm not annoying anyone directly by sending JUST them an email or anything like that. Plus I can review it without having to log into hotmail - which is a pain in the ass, btw, just to see it and hopefully, feel a bit better when I'm sorted!

I like to vent in my LJ 'cause it all gets out in that one spot and I'm not annoying anyone directly by sending JUST them an email or anything like that. Plus I can review it without having to log into hotmail - which is a pain in the ass, btw, just to see it and hopefully, feel a bit better when I'm sorted!
Are you trying to tell me something?

:shrug:

I was just raised outside of it. My parents never made me go to church or anything. I mean, I learned more about Jesus in my history class in high school than I did listening to any of my friends talk about church.

See, I was raised outside of it too. I've been to a Sunday service three times in my life, and never with my family! My mother is the kind of person who just isn't concerned with religion, in much the same way I'm sure you're entirely not concerned with the condition of the plumbing in the shops on the main street of Woodville, New Zealand. And my father thinks religion is all just a bunch of myths. But I fell in with the wrong crowd - well, to be honest, the right crowd - at high school and when a few things happened all at once, I joined them on the religion boat. But unlike them, I had this voracious appetite for theological literature (still do), and the more I read, the less I believed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom