Mount Buggery, Victoria Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
NSW, whatever it stands for, may I just say:

Horrorshow moloko ad in your sig, brother.

NSW is just short for No Spoken Words, which is my user name. :) NSW is also short for New South Wales, which makes some Superthread folks guffaw.

Thanks for liking the sig. I am sort of a big Clockwork fan. :) I'd tell Axver to "come get one in the yarbles, if you have any!!" but I'm keeping the tone civil.

I keep an open mind about international sports, like I try to keep an open mind about most things "foreign" to me....I really cannot comment until I've experienced things. So, I've watched enough Rugby, AFL, Cricket, etc, to pass some judgement, though at the end of the day, who cares what I think?

NASCAR is disturbing, in so many different ways. The races themselves, the culture behind it, the noise, the smell, etc.

I do feel kind of bad that the sports that incur my wrath are American sports, or that a lot of stuff I rag on tends to be American. It's not like I ever singled out US stuff for special criticism and am more willing to love other sports. They're just the ones that ended up on my shitlist. Gridiron partly because it was such a letdown. When I first learnt of it - well, come on, rugby's a damn rough game, so if these American guys have to wear helmets and padding, then I expected it to be even faster, rougher, and more intense. But ... it's not. It's so goddamned slow. Hence I came to loathe the sport as soon as I learnt what the deal was.

As for NASCAR, I've luckily not been too exposed to its culture, though I get the picture. Which reminds me, my friends last year made me sit through that godawful Ricky Bobby movie. Puerile nonsense, through and through.

NSW is just short for No Spoken Words, which is my user name. :) NSW is also short for New South Wales, which makes some Superthread folks guffaw.

Thanks for liking the sig. I am sort of a big Clockwork fan. :) I'd tell Axver to "come get one in the yarbles, if you have any!!" but I'm keeping the tone civil.
I am a HUGE fan. I've read the book more times than I'll admit to. And it's always good to see the look on people's faces when I say I've seen an X-Rated movie. I can speak the Nadsat almost fluently :uhoh: but it's not as impressive on your resume as, say, being fluent in a "real" language like French or something.

I do feel kind of bad that the sports that incur my wrath are American sports, or that a lot of stuff I rag on tends to be American. It's not like I ever singled out US stuff for special criticism and am more willing to love other sports. They're just the ones that ended up on my shitlist. Gridiron partly because it was such a letdown. When I first learnt of it - well, come on, rugby's a damn rough game, so if these American guys have to wear helmets and padding, then I expected it to be even faster, rougher, and more intense. But ... it's not. It's so goddamned slow. Hence I came to loathe the sport as soon as I learnt what the deal was.

As for NASCAR, I've luckily not been too exposed to its culture, though I get the picture. Which reminds me, my friends last year made me sit through that godawful Ricky Bobby movie. Puerile nonsense, through and through.
A lot of stuff I hate is American, so there you go. I've been told by a number of people I should've been born in England in the 60's. That would suit my personality and tastes so much better.

The only thing I like about NASCAR is it inspired Pixar's "Cars". The rest of it? Fuck it.

Understandably so, regarding the US. Hell, I join in the on the ragging that gets done to a lot of American things 'cause I just can't stand them!

The movie Talladega Nights? That movie was shit. I had to sit through it once and never again I tell you!

Aw, damn I missed 3600

HA! Who'd have ever thought I'd have twice as many posts as you, sis?

I mean, try this sentence: "the night watchman was dismissed leg before wicket for a duck early on the third day by a fantastic in-swinging yorker." I am sure it seems to be pure gibberish to you.

For the hell of it, let me translate this.

Night watchman: Test matches usually run for five days. If a batsman is dismissed just before the end of a day's play, the team may opt not to send in one of their good batsmen and send in a lesser batsman as the "night watchman", in the expectation that he will just hold the fort until the end of play, then get dismissed early the next day so that the more talented batsman can come in and play straight for the day without the night break to disrupt his rhythm.

Leg before wicket: A very hard to understand form of getting out (i.e. dismissed). Basically, if the batsman fails to hit the ball with the bat and the ball hits his body instead, he is out if the ball would have hit the wickets if he had not been standing in its way. There are further nuances, but hopefully you get the idea.

A duck: Dismissed for a score of zero.

Third day: As I said, Test matches go for five days. There are three predominant forms of cricket. Five-day Tests that have unlimited overs (an over is when the bowler bowls six deliveries) and each team plays two innings. One Day Internationals are where each team is limited to one innings of fifty overs (and this funnily enough takes one day to complete). Twenty20 is very new and is basically a One Day International with twenty rather than fifty overs. It takes about three hours.

In-swinging: Pace bowlers bowl either in-swing or out-swing. Either the ball swings into the batsman, or it swings away from him.

Yorker: A ball bowled to bounce directly at/on the batsman's feet.

FUCK, this is a complicated sport.

Night watchman: Test matches usually run for five days. If a batsman is dismissed just before the end of a day's play, the team may opt not to send in one of their good batsmen and send in a lesser batsman as the "night watchman", in the expectation that he will just hold the fort until the end of play, then get dismissed early the next day so that the more talented batsman can come in and play straight for the day without the night break to disrupt his rhythm.

Leg before wicket: A very hard to understand form of getting out (i.e. dismissed). Basically, if the batsman fails to hit the ball with the bat and the ball hits his body instead, he is out if the ball would have hit the wickets if he had not been standing in its way. There are further nuances, but hopefully you get the idea.

Third day: As I said, Test matches go for five days. There are three predominant forms of cricket. Five-day Tests that have unlimited overs (an over is when the bowler bowls six deliveries) and each team plays two innings. One Day Internationals are where each team is limited to one innings of fifty overs (and this funnily enough takes one day to complete). Twenty20 is very new and is basically a One Day International with twenty rather than fifty overs. It takes about three hours.

In-swinging: Pace bowlers bowl either in-swing or out-swing. Either the ball swings into the batsman, or it swings away from him.

Seriously, I barely understand any of that.

I am a HUGE fan. I've read the book more times than I'll admit to. And it's always good to see the look on people's faces when I say I've seen an X-Rated movie. I can speak the Nadsat almost fluently :uhoh: but it's not as impressive on your resume as, say, being fluent in a "real" language like French or something.

I saw the film a few times before I read the book, which is of course not the order you want things to go in, but there you have it.

I enjoyed the obok greatly but wish Burgess would have been more pleased with Kubrick's vision, but I can understand his complaints.

Yeah, if you're going to be a polyglot, at least speak German or French as opposed to Nadsat. Still, speaking Nadsat will endear you to a small, cultish and likely scary group of people, so there's that. :)

That makes less sense than the original.
retard.gif

I actually understood most of that, well done.

It's always hard to explain a sport to someone because there are nuances you take for granted that you're suddenly forced to explain, just to get the basics across. Despite your dislike of it, american football is insanely hard to explain to someone, because there are so many little components that help truly illustrate what's going on. Or, you can simply say "the goal of american football is to carry the ball across the goal line" and that might suffice. :)

I saw the film a few times before I read the book, which is of course not the order you want things to go in, but there you have it.

I enjoyed the book greatly but wish Burgess would have been more pleased with Kubrick's vision, but I can understand his complaints.

Yeah, if you're going to be a polyglot, at least speak German or French as opposed to Nadsat. Still, speaking Nadsat will endear you to a small, cultish and likely scary group of people, so there's that. :)
Well, Nadsat usually just slips out when I'm not thinking of it. I've lost count of the times I've annoyed Serena with "interesovatting" :lol:

And Kubrick's version...well, I honestly can't see that movie being redone. I like it the way it is, but Kubrick had a truncated version of the book to work from, so there's that. I would've liked it better if he hadn't demonised Alex so much and had kept him as funny as he was in the book.

A lot of stuff I hate is American, so there you go. I've been told by a number of people I should've been born in England in the 60's. That would suit my personality and tastes so much better.

The only thing I like about NASCAR is it inspired Pixar's "Cars". The rest of it? Fuck it.

Understandably so, regarding the US. Hell, I join in the on the ragging that gets done to a lot of American things 'cause I just can't stand them!

The movie Talladega Nights? That movie was shit. I had to sit through it once and never again I tell you!

I feel that I've developed a bit of a reputation as maybe being anti-American, which I'm uncomfortable with. I'm not, though I can understand why people may see me that way. It just so happens that things I dislike and can be inclined to argue about have this tendency to be American things: US sport, US politics, US spelling, US religion, etc. I didn't choose it that way. I'd dislike them just the same if it were Scottish sport, Canadian politics, Jamaican spelling, and New Zealand religion. But no, the US does a lot of things I seem to dislike and I end up looking like a wanker. No-one's fault but my own, though, and I stand by my opinions (if not the hyperbole I sometimes over-employ).

And yeah, Talladega Nights. My friends on the Gold Coast put it on while I was visiting them for dinner. Fucking hell. I don't know why they like it.

Well, Nadsat usually just slips out when I'm not thinking of it. I've lost count of the times I've annoyed Serena with "interesovatting" :lol:

And Kubrick's version...well, I honestly can't see that movie being redone. I like it the way it is, but Kubrick had a truncated version of the book to work from, so there's that. I would've liked it better if he hadn't demonised Alex so much and had kept him as funny as he was in the book.

Any time a book is precious to someone and is adapted for film, it's more or less inevitable that the screenplay will find a way to disappoint. However, when you take major liberties, like Kubrick did with Clockwork and The Shining, the odds increase. That being said, I usually applaud Kubrick's choices, and I can always re-read the book if I want to stay true to the original. I think most people had issues with the opposing outlooks....the end of the book is different than the end of the film, and that colors what the author/director's statement really is.

Either way, I love both the book and the film, and I own two very special Clockwork t-shirts. :)

Seriously, I barely understand any of that.

That makes less sense than the original.
retard.gif

:lmao:

I've played cricket with a group of Americans once. One of the funniest things I've ever done. We all had a great time - they vaguely got the hang of how to bat, though only one of them got even close to figuring out how to bowl over-arm. We spent a lot of time pissing ourselves laughing.

Cricket is crazy complicated and I've tried teaching people about it, and failed. It's crazy how you just know all this shit as an Aussie/Kiwi/Pom, isnt it?

Hah, yeah. You can be conscious of cricket being a complicated game, but it's not until you try to explain it that you realise just how insanely complicated it is. Even the simplest of things like runs and wickets seem to require a paragraph or two to explain.

You're not a wanker, Axxo. You've just pulled your head out of your arse.

Any time a book is precious to someone and is adapted for film, it's more or less inevitable that the screenplay will find a way to disappoint. However, when you take major liberties, like Kubrick did with Clockwork and The Shining, the odds increase. That being said, I usually applaud Kubrick's choices, and I can always re-read the book if I want to stay true to the original. I think most people had issues with the opposing outlooks....the end of the book is different than the end of the film, and that colors what the author/director's statement really is.

Either way, I love both the book and the film, and I own two very special Clockwork t-shirts. :)
Sweet.

Another good book/bad movie: American Psycho. I love both, and Christian Bale as Patrick Bateman was casting genius, but the script was sooooo laaaaame. Pat could've gotten in SO much more trouble. But I guess the movies can only show so much.

I feel that I've developed a bit of a reputation as maybe being anti-American, which I'm uncomfortable with. I'm not, though I can understand why people may see me that way. It just so happens that things I dislike and can be inclined to argue about have this tendency to be American things: US sport, US politics, US spelling, US religion, etc. I didn't choose it that way. I'd dislike them just the same if it were Scottish sport, Canadian politics, Jamaican spelling, and New Zealand religion. But no, the US does a lot of things I seem to dislike and I end up looking like a wanker. No-one's fault but my own, though, and I stand by my opinions (if not the hyperbole I sometimes over-employ).

And yeah, Talladega Nights. My friends on the Gold Coast put it on while I was visiting them for dinner. Fucking hell. I don't know why they like it.

And I certainly agree. There's a lot of things that the US does that I don't like. Even some of the foods that they consider to be "American" like a hot dog? EW. What the hell is that shit? Our country thrives on greasy, nasty, overly-fattening and blood clotting food. And we wonder why obesity and heart problems are so common? Don't wonder. :doh: That's part of why I don't eat a lot of meat, actually. If I do, it's poultry or ham and I do make an exception for salamis and things like that. But freezer foods, which have become a standard staple of the American diet, are just idiotic. I used to eat them when I was a lot younger, mostly because I was a kid and didn't have a whole lot of a choice. But no? Oh hell no.
So I don't think you're a wanker. :up:

Yeah, I saw that movie once last year during a cookout. I wasn't really sure what to make of it. I can't stand NASCAR to begin with so naturally, even if the movie is meant to be funny, I just don't like it. Not my kinda thing.

Sweet.

Another good book/bad movie: American Psycho. I love both, and Christian Bale as Patrick Bateman was casting genius, but the script was sooooo laaaaame. Pat could've gotten in SO much more trouble. But I guess the movies can only show so much.

Well, Clockwork, to me, is a case of good book/good movie, just different.

But, yes, American Psycho was a good, if slightly disturbing book that was turned into a less than stellar film. However, people that have seen the film but not read the book seem to like the film. I thought Bale was great, but that's about it. There are tons of good book/bad film examples out there, sadly.

Good book/good film status could go to:

Silence of the Lambs
The Hunt for Red October
The Constant Gardener
The Tailor of Panama
The Cider House Rules
The Right Stuff
The Sweet Hereafter

and countless others, but those leap to mind for me.

:lmao:

I've played cricket with a group of Americans once. One of the funniest things I've ever done. We all had a great time - they vaguely got the hang of how to bat, though only one of them got even close to figuring out how to bowl over-arm. We spent a lot of time pissing ourselves laughing.

Hah, yeah. You can be conscious of cricket being a complicated game, but it's not until you try to explain it that you realise just how insanely complicated it is. Even the simplest of things like runs and wickets seem to require a paragraph or two to explain.

I do believe I'd be very, very clueless if I tried to play it. I've never even watched it let alone, but now I'm interested it seeing it.

I actually understood most of that, well done.

It's always hard to explain a sport to someone because there are nuances you take for granted that you're suddenly forced to explain, just to get the basics across. Despite your dislike of it, american football is insanely hard to explain to someone, because there are so many little components that help truly illustrate what's going on. Or, you can simply say "the goal of american football is to carry the ball across the goal line" and that might suffice. :)

Oh yeah, I certainly appreciate that. I'd like to think, though, that I've given gridiron a very fair chance for its nuances to sink in. I've watched a lot of it. As I said, my first impressions of it were very positive, so I spent a lot of time watching it to learn the rules and get a grip on the sport. And it totally disappointed me, but that first impression was favourable enough for me to give it multiple chances. Then along came Kate and I gave it even more time for her sake. But continued exposure to it just reinforced my disappointment and intense dislike; every nuance I found just seemed to confirm to me why I think it's shit. Hence my arseholish rants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom