Mount Buggery, Victoria Superthread - Page 51 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2008, 12:07 PM   #751
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Well, Clockwork, to me, is a case of good book/good movie, just different.

But, yes, American Psycho was a good, if slightly disturbing book that was turned into a less than stellar film. However, people that have seen the film but not read the book seem to like the film. I thought Bale was great, but that's about it. There are tons of good book/bad film examples out there, sadly.

Good book/good film status could go to:

Silence of the Lambs
The Hunt for Red October
The Constant Gardener
The Tailor of Panama
The Cider House Rules
The Right Stuff
The Sweet Hereafter

and countless others, but those leap to mind for me.
Silence. FTW. I read the book before I saw the movie on that one, can I couldn't BELIEVE how spot-on it was. After seeing so many bad adaptations, that was awesome.

Mystic River is another good book/good movie. Sean Penn as Jimmy Marcus

Old 07-15-2008, 12:07 PM   #752
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Oh yeah, I certainly appreciate that. I'd like to think, though, that I've given gridiron a very fair chance for its nuances to sink in. I've watched a lot of it. As I said, my first impressions of it were very positive, so I spent a lot of time watching it to learn the rules and get a grip on the sport. And it totally disappointed me, but that first impression was favourable enough for me to give it multiple chances. Then along came Kate and I gave it even more time for her sake. But continued exposure to it just reinforced my disappointment and intense dislike; every nuance I found just seemed to confirm to me why I think it's shit. Hence my arseholish rants.
Oh, I'm not trying to talk you into liking it or suggesting that you need to watch more of it to appreciate it....was just commiserating with you on how hard it can be to explain a sport to someone, especially if you appreciate all the nuances of said sport....you want to convey every little thing you know, but it's all layered, so each finer point requires you to explain even more points, etc.....

Old 07-15-2008, 12:10 PM   #753
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegularBonoFan View Post
Silence. FTW. I read the book before I saw the movie on that one, can I couldn't BELIEVE how spot-on it was. After seeing so many bad adaptations, that was awesome.

Mystic River is another good book/good movie. Sean Penn as Jimmy Marcus
Agreed on Mystic River. Gone Baby Gone, by the same author, is another good book/good movie.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:10 PM   #754
Blue Crack Addict

Whoa. I haven't even looked in PLEBA today. I just came straight to the superthread without looking there first. Awesome!
Old 07-15-2008, 12:11 PM   #755
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Agreed on Mystic River. Gone Baby Gone, by the same author, is another good book/good movie.
Is that the one Ben Affleck directed his little brother in?
Old 07-15-2008, 12:12 PM   #756
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:48 PM
Quote:
Oh, I'm not trying to talk you into liking it or suggesting that you need to watch more of it to appreciate it....was just commissertaing with you on how hard it can be to explain a sport to someone, especially if you appreciate all the nuances of said sport....you want to convey every little thing you know, but it's all layered, so each finer point requires you to explain even more points, etc.....
Right, yeah. My cricket post could have been twice the length ... I nearly launched into an explanation of what bowling means in cricket! But I'm sure you know what I mean when I say it's something best seen rather than explained.

And I just thought I should at least try to offer some explanation and some context for where I'm coming from, as I really don't want to just seem like some arsehole. I'll stand by my opinions, but not at the expense of putting people off.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-15-2008, 12:12 PM   #757
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Is that the one Ben Affleck directed his little brother in?
Yup. It was surprisingly good.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:12 PM   #758
Refugee

Local Time: 11:48 AM
Quote:
Sweet.

Another good book/bad movie: American Psycho. I love both, and Christian Bale as Patrick Bateman was casting genius, but the script was sooooo laaaaame. Pat could've gotten in SO much more trouble. But I guess the movies can only show so much.
I think the film was fucking great.

Also, what is the film version of Fear and Loathing like? I've not seen it but I studied the book extensively in Year 12 in parallel with Death of a Salesman.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:13 PM   #759
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:48 PM
Quote:
Whoa. I haven't even looked in PLEBA today. I just came straight to the superthread without looking there first. Awesome!
True sign you're hooked!

I operate with two Interference tabs in Firefox: one for the Superthread and one for the rest of the forum. I get up and check the Superthread tab immediately ... can take an hour to get to the other tab and check EYKIW if the Superthread's active.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-15-2008, 12:14 PM   #760
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy-V View Post
I think the film was fucking great.

Also, what is the film version of Fear and Loathing like? I've not seen it but I studied the book extensively in Year 12 in parallel with Death of a Salesman.
FEAR AND LOATHING FUCKING WINS. I've tried to get my hands on the book, but I haven't found a copy yet. Johnny Depp, omfg.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:14 PM   #761
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:48 PM
Quote:
Yes, there are other areas of the board besides PLEBA.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:15 PM   #762
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Yup. It was surprisingly good.
I'll add that one to the "rent" list.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:15 PM   #763
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:48 PM
Quote:
True sign you're hooked!

I operate with two Interference tabs in Firefox: one for the Superthread and one for the rest of the forum. I get up and check the Superthread tab immediately ... can take an hour to get to the other tab and check EYKIW if the Superthread's active.
And when you're putting off breakfast to post in the superthread. It's past noon, now. May as well be lunch!
Old 07-15-2008, 12:16 PM   #764
Refugee

Local Time: 11:48 AM
Quote:
FEAR AND LOATHING FUCKING WINS. I've tried to get my hands on the book, but I haven't found a copy yet. Johnny Depp, omfg.
The book wins more, I'd wager.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:16 PM   #765
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Right, yeah. My cricket post could have been twice the length ... I nearly launched into an explanation of what bowling means in cricket! But I'm sure you know what I mean when I say it's something best seen rather than explained.

And I just thought I should at least try to offer some explanation and some context for where I'm coming from, as I really don't want to just seem like some arsehole. I'll stand by my opinions, but not at the expense of putting people off.
Well, to be honest....saying you dislike american football or baseball does not bother me in the least. I know tons of Americans who dislike either or both. But, it's taking the extra step and saying that baseball is for brainless people that maybe might rankle some. PFan and I, for example, both love baseball and so does Phanan, and I'd like to think that Phanan and PFan are not brainless. Me, that's another story. But, you know that I respect your opinion and do not think that you have some blind hatred of all things American.

Tags
superthread