Mount Buggery, Victoria Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Clockwork, to me, is a case of good book/good movie, just different.

But, yes, American Psycho was a good, if slightly disturbing book that was turned into a less than stellar film. However, people that have seen the film but not read the book seem to like the film. I thought Bale was great, but that's about it. There are tons of good book/bad film examples out there, sadly.

Good book/good film status could go to:

Silence of the Lambs
The Hunt for Red October
The Constant Gardener
The Tailor of Panama
The Cider House Rules
The Right Stuff
The Sweet Hereafter

and countless others, but those leap to mind for me.
Silence. FTW. I read the book before I saw the movie on that one, can I couldn't BELIEVE how spot-on it was. After seeing so many bad adaptations, that was awesome.

Mystic River is another good book/good movie. Sean Penn as Jimmy Marcus :love:

Oh yeah, I certainly appreciate that. I'd like to think, though, that I've given gridiron a very fair chance for its nuances to sink in. I've watched a lot of it. As I said, my first impressions of it were very positive, so I spent a lot of time watching it to learn the rules and get a grip on the sport. And it totally disappointed me, but that first impression was favourable enough for me to give it multiple chances. Then along came Kate and I gave it even more time for her sake. But continued exposure to it just reinforced my disappointment and intense dislike; every nuance I found just seemed to confirm to me why I think it's shit. Hence my arseholish rants.

Oh, I'm not trying to talk you into liking it or suggesting that you need to watch more of it to appreciate it....was just commiserating with you on how hard it can be to explain a sport to someone, especially if you appreciate all the nuances of said sport....you want to convey every little thing you know, but it's all layered, so each finer point requires you to explain even more points, etc.....

Silence. FTW. I read the book before I saw the movie on that one, can I couldn't BELIEVE how spot-on it was. After seeing so many bad adaptations, that was awesome.

Mystic River is another good book/good movie. Sean Penn as Jimmy Marcus :love:

Agreed on Mystic River. Gone Baby Gone, by the same author, is another good book/good movie.

Whoa. I haven't even looked in PLEBA today. I just came straight to the superthread without looking there first. :lol: Awesome!

Oh, I'm not trying to talk you into liking it or suggesting that you need to watch more of it to appreciate it....was just commissertaing with you on how hard it can be to explain a sport to someone, especially if you appreciate all the nuances of said sport....you want to convey every little thing you know, but it's all layered, so each finer point requires you to explain even more points, etc.....

Right, yeah. My cricket post could have been twice the length ... I nearly launched into an explanation of what bowling means in cricket! But I'm sure you know what I mean when I say it's something best seen rather than explained.

And I just thought I should at least try to offer some explanation and some context for where I'm coming from, as I really don't want to just seem like some arsehole. I'll stand by my opinions, but not at the expense of putting people off.

Sweet.

Another good book/bad movie: American Psycho. I love both, and Christian Bale as Patrick Bateman was casting genius, but the script was sooooo laaaaame. Pat could've gotten in SO much more trouble. But I guess the movies can only show so much.
I think the film was fucking great.

Also, what is the film version of Fear and Loathing like? I've not seen it but I studied the book extensively in Year 12 in parallel with Death of a Salesman.

Whoa. I haven't even looked in PLEBA today. I just came straight to the superthread without looking there first. :lol: Awesome!

True sign you're hooked!

I operate with two Interference tabs in Firefox: one for the Superthread and one for the rest of the forum. I get up and check the Superthread tab immediately ... can take an hour to get to the other tab and check EYKIW if the Superthread's active.

I think the film was fucking great.

Also, what is the film version of Fear and Loathing like? I've not seen it but I studied the book extensively in Year 12 in parallel with Death of a Salesman.
FEAR AND LOATHING FUCKING WINS. I've tried to get my hands on the book, but I haven't found a copy yet. Johnny Depp, omfg. :lmao:

True sign you're hooked!

I operate with two Interference tabs in Firefox: one for the Superthread and one for the rest of the forum. I get up and check the Superthread tab immediately ... can take an hour to get to the other tab and check EYKIW if the Superthread's active.
And when you're putting off breakfast to post in the superthread. It's past noon, now. May as well be lunch!

Right, yeah. My cricket post could have been twice the length ... I nearly launched into an explanation of what bowling means in cricket! But I'm sure you know what I mean when I say it's something best seen rather than explained.

And I just thought I should at least try to offer some explanation and some context for where I'm coming from, as I really don't want to just seem like some arsehole. I'll stand by my opinions, but not at the expense of putting people off.

Well, to be honest....saying you dislike american football or baseball does not bother me in the least. I know tons of Americans who dislike either or both. But, it's taking the extra step and saying that baseball is for brainless people that maybe might rankle some. PFan and I, for example, both love baseball and so does Phanan, and I'd like to think that Phanan and PFan are not brainless. Me, that's another story. :) But, you know that I respect your opinion and do not think that you have some blind hatred of all things American.

You're not a wanker, Axxo. You've just pulled your head out of your arse.

And I certainly agree. There's a lot of things that the US does that I don't like. Even some of the foods that they consider to be "American" like a hot dog? EW. What the hell is that shit? Our country thrives on greasy, nasty, overly-fattening and blood clotting food. And we wonder why obesity and heart problems are so common? Don't wonder. :doh: That's part of why I don't eat a lot of meat, actually. If I do, it's poultry or ham and I do make an exception for salamis and things like that. But freezer foods, which have become a standard staple of the American diet, are just idiotic. I used to eat them when I was a lot younger, mostly because I was a kid and didn't have a whole lot of a choice. But no? Oh hell no.
So I don't think you're a wanker. :up:

Yeah, I saw that movie once last year during a cookout. I wasn't really sure what to make of it. I can't stand NASCAR to begin with so naturally, even if the movie is meant to be funny, I just don't like it. Not my kinda thing.

Thanks, both of you. :) I know I've bugged some people or given impressions I don't quite wish to give, and I feel bad about that.

And I know what you mean about the foods, Serena. I was surprised at some of what I saw in the US. Australia is shocking too, and we've apparently just become the fattest country on earth, but some food consumption habits in the US really surprised me. Just what the supermarkets stocked compared to here was pretty telling. I do suspect that part of why Australia's become the fattest country is less to do with food habits and more to do with drinking habits and sheer laziness.

The book wins more, I'd wager.

The film was kind of a mess, even above and beyond its desire to be a deliberate mess at times. But, still worth watching.

I wish American Psycho were a bit of a better film, but, I can see how people would enjoy it.....for me, it fell just short of being good....reading the book might have been the culprit for that, not sure.

If I can chime in on A Clockwork Orange, I first saw it in film class in college. I liked it, but it affected me for a few days afterwards. I haven't read the book, though. :reject:
The only movie that's really messed with my head after watching it was "The Wall" and it still fucks with me. And I still watch it. And listen to the album ALL the time. I love it.

Thanks, both of you. :) I know I've bugged some people or given impressions I don't quite wish to give, and I feel bad about that.

And I know what you mean about the foods, Serena. I was surprised at some of what I saw in the US. Australia is shocking too, and we've apparently just become the fattest country on earth, but some food consumption habits in the US really surprised me. Just what the supermarkets stocked compared to here was pretty telling. I do suspect that part of why Australia's become the fattest country is less to do with food habits and more to do with drinking habits and sheer laziness.
Aww, it's alright. I didn't ever think you were a wanker. :love:

Really? I thought the US had already run away with that title entirely. A lot of the food here is just amazingly unhealthy and the presence of those, being the cheaper foods, have contributed. It's so expensive to buy "healthy" food, at least here, these days. I do try to eat what one would call healthy anyway. A nutrition freak of sorts, I suppose. Like I freak out if I don't think I got enough vitamin c and stupid shit like that. :lol:

A lot of the stuff that Americans eat though, really put me off. Hamburger is one especially. I can't tell you how many times I've been told I'm not a real American because I won't eat hamburger. Piss off. Hamburger is fucking disgusting. And of course, my loathe for hot dogs seems to be pretty extreme, too. Though it's not just meat that annoys me with our diets. The fast food, the frozen meals and stuff like that really irks me too. Yeah, I eat out from time to time (to be quite honest, chinese food is my preference and always will be.) but I hate places like McDonald's and Burger King. And Pizza is so damn overrated, imho.

Yeah, I can see how drinking habits and laziness would contribute to it. Even if you don't really eat that much fattening in the food department, the alcohol (and soda, too.) combined with not moving a whole lot can sure do it!

Well, to be honest....saying you dislike american football or baseball does not bother me in the least. I know tons of Americans who dislike either or both. But, it's taking the extra step and saying that baseball is for brainless people that maybe might rankle some. PFan and I, for example, both love baseball and so does Phanan, and I'd like to think that Phanan and PFan are not brainless. Me, that's another story. :) But, you know that I respect your opinion and do not think that you have some blind hatred of all things American.

Thanks. :) I certainly respect you guys as well; the brainless stuff is just hyperbole. Fairly brainless hyperbole at that. I more mean (and perhaps I should say this rather than getting stuck into the joys of hyperbole!) that I just cannot understand how anybody could really like those sports if they actually sat down and thought about it. Of course, it's just different tastes at the end of the day. But that's just tolerance getting in the way of a good bit of to-and-fro banter. :wink:

Requiem for a Dream is the film that fucked with my head the most. I'll never watch it again, the one time did the trick. I am glad I saw it, though.
I've always wanted to see it, but I wonder if it's banned here or something. I can never find it.

I've always wanted to see it, but I wonder if it's banned here or something. I can never find it.
Maybe it's just a thing with where you live? Like how where I live, I can't fucking find anything I'm looking for.
Hell, I had to have the record store order out for U2 Go Home live from Slane because I spent 6 months searching for it and couldn't find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom