Most underappreciated album of the 90's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yield, by Pearl Jam. It is my firm belief that had Pearl Jam decided to play the mainstream game (i.e. videos, interviews, etc.) they would be by far the biggest American band in terms of both popularity and record sales. Yield was an AWESOME album from start to finish that never got the attention it deserved.

------------------
"You gotta love living, baby, 'cause dyin's a pain in the ass."-- Frank Sinatra

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

No Code, Pearl Jam
Stunning in both its emotional and musical ranges, it sold poorly but mostly got good reviews. Of all Pearl Jam albums, people seem to have heard of this one the least. U2 could do a beautiful cover of "Around the Bend," the last song on the CD.

Is This Desire?, PJ Harvey
Released to mixed reviews after her stunning To Bring You My Love and her experimental Dance Hall at Louse Point with John Parrish (?). Her poetry on this album is among the best she has ever written, and it's a female-narrative concept album that was several years ahead of Tori Amos's Strange Little Girls.

Our Time in Eden, 10,000 Maniacs
No one cares about 10,000 Maniacs anymore, and over and over I saw this CD omitted from "Best of the '90s" lists. Absolutely inexcusable. Natalie Merchant's lyrics were never quite the same after this album, and the only place they were as good was on 1989's In My Tribe. It's a beautiful, tenuous, emotional record that contains most of the great work the Maniacs ever did.

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

I agree with Yield. Im not a huge PJ fan anymore, but I used to be.

Also anything the Flaming Lips did. I thought they were great. They only ever really had one mediocre hit here, with Vaseline, which I thought was such a shame.

I think From The Muddy Banks Of The Wishkah was also a very good album. Like PJ, I really went off Nirvana after all the hype got too much, but I think it was still very good.

And of course there is 16 Stone. I think its kinda sad that others dont get the same satisfaction I do out of listening to Bush. In many ways I love them more than U2. U2 however are stayers, I have loved them for so long, its like a habit. With Bush though, The Science Of Things was a bit of a flop, I think they can really make a mark if they go all out for the next and make it even better than their 2 biggest which are Razorblade Suitcase and 16 Stone.

And erm I dont know how to say this but Powderfinger. I may not like their new stuff, but I know what they are capable of, and if they can take Aus by storm, then its only common sense that a serious go should have been made with Double Allergic definately, and Internationalist if it was released in the 90's.

Im sure there's heaps more, but thats all I can think of.

Originally posted by Salome:
most Beach Boys albums released after Pet Sounds
especially their early 70's albums "Sunflower", "Surf's Up" and "Holland"

they might not be as magnificent as Pet Sounds, but they got pretty close

was that in the 90s too?

what Swallow said.

ah I knew only reading half the title would get me in trouble one of these days

so that leaves Jon Spencer Blues Explosion then

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

This is the theater cat coming out in me but I really feel as though the RENT score and soundtrack captured the struggle of youth and coming of age in the late 90's.

"There's only now, there's only this, forget regret, or life is yours to miss."

Originally posted by Peaseblossom:
This is the theater cat coming out in me but I really feel as though the RENT score and soundtrack captured the struggle of youth and coming of age in the late 90's.

No other road, no other way...no day but today

biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Angela Harlem:
Also anything the Flaming Lips did. I thought they were great. They only ever really had one mediocre hit here, with Vaseline, which I thought was such a shame.

Don't you mean are great? As far as I know they are working on their next album...maybe I'm misinformed?

And it is a shame that "She Don't Use Jelly," which is a fun but very mediocre song by all accounts, has been their only hit song (and a fluke hit song at that) because they have some very stirring music.

Oops, sorry! yes they ARE great. Shows how much I know, I even got the title wrong
biggrin.gif
I got the Clouds Taste Metallic album years and years ago, and thought it was fantastic. Then it got a massive scratch on it, and I never replaced it.

I havent really heard much from them since, though they obviously still record and stuff.

Originally posted by Peaseblossom:

Ok I'd agree with that, but there is NO WAY you can say that "Rent" was ever underappreciated. I mean how many Tonys did it win (including Jonathan Larson's post humous Tony.) Besides, what theater kid do you know who DOESN'T own it. Hell I own the soundtrack, the "Bible" and the firggen best of Rent (for long trips when you can't bring the CDs.) So yeah I can't say I second you there.

------------------
Keepin it krunk...

http://www.iloveham.com/

Originally posted by wannabe:
Pig - Sinsation
KMFDM - Adios

ALL KMFDM records weren't very successfull here, though they're a German band. Believe it or not, but it's very hard to find a record in the stores around. I was very happy to find "Angst" one day.

And I'd say Blur - Parklife. At least it wasn't successfull in Germany

------------------
Life is where we live

Now for those who thought I couldn't write...

U2 - Pop (1997) (I know it doesn't count, but I have to say this!)
So it sold seven million. It doesn't matter. This is clearly the band's most undervalued and underappreciated album, and it's easy to see why. You'd have to have a broad horizon of musical influences and tastes to enjoy this album, and alas, not everyone has. Yet in time this will be, and is already proving to be, a grower.

Supergrass - In It For The Money (1997)
Ditching the jaunty Britpop of previous effort I Should Coco and not yet embracing the commercial discipline of their eponymous third effort, Supergrass are neither here nor there. Yet they are in both places, albeit with the lights turned off. Menacing yet reassuring, dark but bright. Confusing, but it all makes sense in the end.

Garbage - Version 2 (1998)
Never received the same acclaim as their first album, but is much more fully realised. The first half of the album in particular is a factory line of hit after hit after hit. The pace lessens towards the end of the record, but any more would have been spoiling us. And anyone who doesn't like Special should be taken out side for a gentle 'reminder'.

Black Grape - It's Great When Your Straight... Yeah!(1995)
It is fair to say that a number of people worried about Shaun Ryder after the Happy Mondays imploded so spectacularly after spending too much time in the Caribbean with too much money and too many drugs. What would happen to him now? This was the answer. With friends in tow - including bug-eyed rapper Kermit - Ryder and producer Danny Saber to concoct this blast of a record. Songs like Tramazi Parti and Shake Your Money (sample lyric "you're a bleeding mother fucker now aren't you/go and bleed in a different place") suggest Ryder will forever be not quite from this planet. But who needs to live his near-fatalistic life when we can hear what it is like on this record?

Electronic - Electronic (1991)
If you take a band that's part The Smiths and part New Order, there's always a good chance of a fine record in the offing. And Messrs Marr and Sumner do not fail to deliver. At this conjecture, the band was still being augmented by Pet Shop Boy Neil Tennant, but other than on the glorious Getting Away With It it is the main duo who dominate. Get The Message remains one of my favourite songs to this day.

Mansun - Attack Of The Grey Lantern (1997)
Strange as it may sound today, Mansun's 'strings and samplers' approach to music was still very much in its infancy in 1997, certainly where supposed rock bands were concerned (witness the response to U2's Pop). For a debut album, however, this was a breath of fresh air in a post-Grunge, post-Britpop era. It's self-consciously nonsensical lyrics (an attempted concept album involving a cross-dressing vicar, I kid you not!) hide some great tunes, and although it seems naive now, it's main charm is in its innocence. Mansun will never ever be a favourite of the critics, but only a fool would deny the pop genius of Wide Open Space and Taxloss.

There are a lot more - Pulp's This Is Hardcore, The Cardigan's Gran Turismo, REM's Monster, New Adventures In Hi-Fi and particularly Up, Divine Comedy's Fin De Siecle, and, in England at least, Red Hot Chilli Peppers' Californication - but then I would be here all night.

So everyone go out and buy all those albums or else!!
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by bullet the blue sky (edited 02-08-2002).]

Originally posted by bullet the blue sky:

U2 - Pop (1997) You'd have to have a broad horizon of musical influences and tastes to enjoy this album, and alas, not everyone has.

I know it's nearly impossible to believe, but...wait for it...there are people who have "a broad horizon of musical influences and tastes," and yet...wait for it...still don't think it's amazing!!!

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

------------------
Love was never a single emotion

-ACROB@T

Oasis - Be Here Now (1997)
I think oasis were sterotyped after their first two albums, and, in its own right, although this album got slated, i still believe it to have fantastic songs.

Embrace - The Good Will Out (1998)
Fantastic debut album. They may not be very well known to some people, but this is a superb album from a band that deserves more credit. if you havn't heard of them i advise u to check them out!
wink.gif

P.S. there are many others, these are just the two that came to my head straight away
smile.gif

Originally posted by scatteroflight:
I know it's nearly impossible to believe, but...wait for it...there are people who have "a broad horizon of musical influences and tastes," and yet...wait for it...still don't think it's amazing!!!

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Yes, but those people are stupid.

Aren't they?
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by bullet the blue sky:
You love it really!

rolleyes.gif

To be honest, it's been so long that I don't really know any more. Ditto for Zooropa. They're both on my to do list. When I will get to them is another question. But I'm familiar enough with Pop especially to know that I will never think it is great as a whole. Mofo and Discotheque are just alien to me.

I actually like Zooropa less, but probably no one believes me on that
biggrin.gif

------------------
Love was never a single emotion

-ACROB@T

Originally posted by Esnapand:
ALL KMFDM records weren't very successfull here, though they're a German band. Believe it or not, but it's very hard to find a record in the stores around. I was very happy to find "Angst" one day.

And I'd say Blur - Parklife. At least it wasn't successfull in Germany

I've heard that about KMFDM. Both bands are fairly big in Japan from what I've read. Angst is a great album. Look for KMFDM's new Attak album due out in March. Their new single Boot was released the last Tuesday.

I'll have to try that album by Blur. Thank you!

These 2 mentioned already, both what I thought of when I read the thread title...

Flaming Lips-The Soft Bulletin
Supergrass-In It For The Money

If you like great music you should really own these.

Also
Mercury Rev-Deserter Songs

Here are some you should check out:

Ivy - Apartment Life
Promise Ring - 30 Degrees Everywhere
Basehead - Play With Toys
Tortoise - TNT
Magnetic Fields - Holiday
Star Room Boys - Why Do Lonely Men and Women Want to Break Each Others' Hearts?
Afghan Whigs - 1965
Dr. Octagon - Dr. Octagonecologyst
Sleater-Kinney - The Hot Rock
The Roots - Things Fall Apart
Yo La Tengo - Painful
Sparklehorse - Good Morning Spider

------------------
I'm the boy with the poetry power
I'm the boy who smells like flowers
Everytime I make a rhyme
I live my life like I wasn't invited

Originally posted by scatteroflight:

LMFAO!! I see scattero's still fighting for truth, justice, and those who don't particularly care for POP...er, I mean Pop!
wink.gif
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom