Most miserable band?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yo dudes

been listening to some heavy stuff like these bands. and wondering which bands are the most miserable? by miserable i mean bands that just writing sad, depressive music

ones that ring to mind:

joy division (where is the 'joy' in joy division?)

portishead

the smiths- no dancing around the point, just write a song about some form of depression, hell even title it depressively "heaven knows im miserable now"

radiohead

depeche mode- or is it depressed mode?

massive attack- they spiralled down dark matter on mezzanine after a reasonably bright start with blue lines

I found a huge amount of 90's bands to be very depressing, a reason why I'm not too fond of it as a musical decade. (I prefer music that is dark, but more as in being mysterious, not so much depressing.) Nirvana would certainly be an example, but honestly I'm not very familiar with most of those bands.

------------------
Love was never a single emotion

-ACROB@T

joy division (where is the 'joy' in joy division?)

Joy Divisions were the huts containing the women who were forced to prostitute themselves to Nazi officers on leave in the book The House Of Dolls.

And excerpt of that book makes up the middle verse of the song "No Love Lost".

I find the Smiths uplifting for some odd reason. A lot of their lyrical content was pretty miserable, but the songs were structured in a way that they had pop sensibility to them.

I can only think of two Smiths songs that were actually funny lyrical wise, Panic and Girlfriend In A Coma.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:
Joy Divisions were the huts containing the women who were forced to prostitute themselves to Nazi officers on leave in the book The House Of Dolls.

And excerpt of that book makes up the middle verse of the song "No Love Lost".

well...

thats just totally 'joyful' now isnt it?
frown.gif

Nine Inch Nails.

I like them but after listening to them too much you start feeling like stepping in front of an oncoming car might not be a bad thing.

(I'm kidding. No intentions of playing in traffic.)

Tom Waits, The Buzzcocks, The Cure (I'm think Wish era here...)and the Slackers. (Why the girlies gotta break Vicks heart?)

I am a huge proponent of Listenign to Tom Waits's "Blue Valentines" and crying. Try it!

------------------
Keepin it krunk...

http://www.iloveham.com/

Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees:
Nine Inch Nails.

I like them but after listening to them too much you start feeling like stepping in front of an oncoming car might not be a bad thing.

I cannot listen to too much NIN cause they have such depressing music. I can handle an album, but anymore and I start feeling strange. Hehe, sorry Seadog.

Hayden's "Everything I Long For" is a sad beauty.

If you want to hear depressing, just flick on the radio. That depresses me every time.

Originally posted by david:
I find the Smiths uplifting for some odd reason. A lot of their lyrical content was pretty miserable, but the songs were structured in a way that they had pop sensibility to them.

I can only think of two Smiths songs that were actually funny lyrical wise, Panic and Girlfriend In A Coma.

I agree, I find the Smiths uplifting too - even with miserable lyric content.

How about the Violent Femmes? When I wasn't listening to U2 in the 80's then I listened to the Cure, Depeche Mode, Smiths, REM and Violent Femmes! My boyfriend at the time was great at picking out bands and I fell in love with the Violent Femmes after we had 8th row seats. Before that, I couldn't get past the name to even listen to them! Funny how most of the bands I listened to are now in this miserable band thread!

I never did warm up to the Butthole Surfers though...

------------------
"There's a lot of real rubbish going on about new music & old music, can I just say we play U2 music? Is that OK?" - Bono, Us Festival 5/30/83

[This message has been edited by BostonAnne (edited 02-07-2002).]

[This message has been edited by BostonAnne (edited 02-07-2002).]

Listen to Springsteen's "Nebraska" too, I always feel like standing on a road waiting for the cars to run me over after that one.

Originally posted by david:

I love Girlfriend in a Coma!!

------------------
Such a nice day
Let it go...

Originally posted by barlowdog:

If you want to hear depressing, just flick on the radio. That depresses me every time.

Everytime I turn on the radio, I regret it. So depressing.

------------------
"Very strange looking object you have at the end of your stick.." - Bono

"Bono looks too intense for me." - Rollercoaster Tycoon park guest

"I was drunk, high on him, a shrinking, shadowboxing dwarf following in his foosteps...badly...STARSTRUCK.." - Bono, on meeting Frank Sinatra for the first time

"Bono? Bono is going to tie ropes around my neck? Wait a minute.." - Edge, when shooting the 'Numb' video

Soul Asylum

I only know a few songs and they are not the ones that make you love the world...

------------------
Olofski
SWEDEN
We move through miracle days Spirit moves in mysterious ways

Back
Top Bottom