Most Essential 2005 songs ever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

intedomine

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Aussie radio station triple m just completed an absorbing countdown of the "most essential" songs in the history of music.

They were asking for a wide range of genres and artists yet most of the songs are standard rock and roll songs from the 70's and onward.

U2 had about 27 entries i think, and about 6 or 7 in the top 100 i think.

Of all songs, Violent femmes shocking piece of music, Blister in the Sun ended up at number one. The countdown was based on the votes from triplem listeners.

Quite a controversial countdown and really, it is just a load of nonsense because Jet's boring derivative are you gonna be my girl came it at number 2. Despite it's flawed interpretation as "the most essential 2005 songs of all time", it's quite interesting to see how the whole thing panned out. Some wierd songs ranked quite high.

One of the problems was how most of the top couple of hundred are modern songs which are still in people's memory, hence they recieved more votes than they would if the countdown was done in several years time.

Still it's worth a look if you are into music rankings and charts.

http://www.mmmelb.com.au/music/essential/index.php

Last edited:
I hate these sort of lists

album lists are fine, really

but song lists tend to include a band's most well-known hit rather than one of any quality

for instance Blur's 'Song 2', hardly their best song, but it's the one people know, so it's always mentioned instead of 'This Is A Low' or something

yertle-the-turtle said:
I hate these sort of lists

album lists are fine, really

but song lists tend to include a band's most well-known hit rather than one of any quality

for instance Blur's 'Song 2', hardly their best song, but it's the one people know, so it's always mentioned instead of 'This Is A Low' or something

:up:

Personally, I have a weakness for Country House.

The list is of course ridiculous but thought provoking.

...and remember of course that it was essentiallty a list of the "most essential singles of all time."

Back
Top Bottom