Most divided fanbase of any band = U2 fans? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2006, 11:11 AM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:49 AM
Most divided fanbase of any band = U2 fans?

Posting this in B&C cos I'm kinda throwing this question out there. Which band has the most divided fanbase? I guess it's U2 cos I can't think of any that are so divided in their opinions...

We got...

Fans of post punk
Fans of atmospheric music
Fans of classic rock
Fans of eurodance
Fans of experimental/avant garde music
Fans of electronica
Fans of pop music
Fans of adult contemporary

Of course there are fans that like all of it but we're probably fewer in number.

Or do you guys think The Beatles or Bowie or somebody have us beat?

Discuss.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:39 AM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 10:49 PM
sory, false start here

Old 09-12-2006, 11:44 AM   #3
Refugee

I don't know. Do you mean that the fanbase has an appreciation for different genres? It's a good question. I think that because U2 are influenced by so many different genres and have worked with really diverse people that maybe THOSE fans are aware of U2. For example, Mary J. Blige fans or Leonard Cohen fans.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:03 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by yeter
Do you mean that the fanbase has an appreciation for different genres?
Yeah... either the fanbase is openminded and has an appreciation for different genres...

or due to the sheer variety of styles, there is a lot of in-fighting within the fanbase.

Old 09-12-2006, 12:06 PM   #5
Refugee

I like to think we are open minded!
Old 09-12-2006, 12:55 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:49 AM
It's not particularly diverse until you're looking at Belorussian rock music.

Old 09-12-2006, 07:01 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I think Zoo has a point.

There were huge arguments on the Bruce Springsteen fan boards between liberals and conseravatives when Bruce first announced he was going to do the Vote for Change tour, but that's just a political division. There also was a lot of division between people who only like Bruce in rock and roll mode with the E-Street Band who were ticked off when he went the solo, folky-rootsy route with the past two albums, and fans who really, really like the last two albums.

However, Bruce's fans aren't nearly as diverse in their musical tastes as U2 fans appear to be. The great majority of them seem to be classic rock fans. There are some alt-country fans and indie rock fans, but I don't think I've encountered anyone on their fan boards who likes techno/electronica music.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:48 PM   #8
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's shades
I think Zoo has a point.

There were huge arguments on the Bruce Springsteen fan boards between liberals and conseravatives when Bruce first announced he was going to do the Vote for Change tour, but that's just a political division. There also was a lot of division between people who only like Bruce in rock and roll mode with the E-Street Band who were ticked off when he went the solo, folky-rootsy route with the past two albums, and fans who really, really like the last two albums.

However, Bruce's fans aren't nearly as diverse in their musical tastes as U2 fans appear to be. The great majority of them seem to be classic rock fans. There are some alt-country fans and indie rock fans, but I don't think I've encountered anyone on their fan boards who likes techno/electronica music.
I agree as a regular contributer to a springsteen board that the musical taste is much less diverse, although I bet that the Springsteen version of Free your Mind is much more heated

as for U2 having the most diverse thats just completely relative and opinion-based since theres no definitive way to judge that, and there is probably more diverse bands than U2
Old 09-12-2006, 07:56 PM   #9
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by I'm Ready
and there is probably more diverse bands than U2
Bands with such a huge fanbase that are also as diverse as U2? Like who?
Old 09-12-2006, 08:01 PM   #10
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque

Bands with such a huge fanbase that are also as diverse as U2? Like who?
well I can't name a specific band, many of my friends have hundreds of bands on their ipod that they like, not as many songs, but more diversity in their bands

just so you can get an idea most of the bands that they base their collection off of are like dashboard, death cab and maroon 5, but they literally have hundreds of artists that they may pick and choose 1 song from to listen to (genres from techno-country-emo)

so that would be much more diverse than U2 fans
Old 09-12-2006, 09:51 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:49 AM
Personally, I'm the kind of fan that loves every era and every album from U2. This might be an explanation - or not, I'm supposing - why I'm more opened to every genre, or even to start to like an artist that I disliked till then. Naturally, I get closer to musical genres and artists that have connections or similarities with U2, but mostly I consider myself an ecletic and about U2 I don't think there's a better or a worse era in their career.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:13 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:49 PM
I'd say this is probably the most diverse and tolerable [believe it or not] band forum when it comes to other music. Other forums I've been to either don't like any band which formed after 1990 and some are just the opposite. Also, here at blue crack it appears that while everyone likes/tolerates/loves U2 they don't get in a jiffy when another band is mentioned , most people understand that the 'best band ever' concept it purely an opinion and not a fact. There are few music forums I post in which is composed of 99% snobs *coughcoughmarsvoltacoughcough* and posters literally only will praise the band or music that they know the band members like.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:17 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:49 PM
Quote:

I agree as a regular contributer to a springsteen board that the musical taste is much less diverse, although I bet that the Springsteen version of Free your Mind is much more heated

as for U2 having the most diverse thats just completely relative and opinion-based since theres no definitive way to judge that, and there is probably more diverse bands than U2

hahaha, yes the Springsteen forum can get heated at times especially for the people who can't stand the Seeger sessions or anything that doesn't include the E Street Band....and of course the damn Democrats Vs Republicans never ending quarrel.
And people who argue over what version of a song was played best live e.g. "The intro to Born To Run was far best superior in the spring of the River tour, second LA show when he used the black Esquire guitar and the second best version was played during the Ghost of Tom Joad in France 1996 with the blah blah blah"
From my experience the musical diversity of the fans is almost nonexistent... it basically circles around Bob Dylan/Neil Young/CCR
Old 09-12-2006, 10:55 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
I bet that the Springsteen version of Free your Mind is much more heated
Oh, it is. FYM is like peaches and cream compared to that place.

I only brought up Springsteen because he's the only other musical artist with a Web site I visit regularly.

I think Prince might have a pretty diverse fan base, considering all the different elements in his music (rock, soul, funk).
Old 09-13-2006, 01:23 AM   #15
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by elevation2u

hahaha, yes the Springsteen forum can get heated at times especially for the people who can't stand the Seeger sessions or anything that doesn't include the E Street Band....and of course the damn Democrats Vs Republicans never ending quarrel.
And people who argue over what version of a song was played best live e.g. "The intro to Born To Run was far best superior in the spring of the River tour, second LA show when he used the black Esquire guitar and the second best version was played during the Ghost of Tom Joad in France 1996 with the blah blah blah"
From my experience the musical diversity of the fans is almost nonexistent... it basically circles around Bob Dylan/Neil Young/CCR
thats true, but it doesn't mean that their tastes are that confined

at the forum I go to there isn't a subforum just for other music, so its generally uncommon for other bands to be discussed constantly, and bruce related bands just happen to be brought up more often