Most dissapointing albums of 2004

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ashlee simpson...

because that album was supposed to save rock and roll and bring back real musicians to the forefront.

it's a shame it had a long title: "how to dismantle an atomic bomb"....

....oh, wait a minute.....no, no....that's the u2 album that did save rock and roll etc.

ashlee simpson bombed on SNL.

damn, I always get those 2 things mixed up.

damn drugs.

Lars Frederiksen and the Bastards - "Viking"

it's over-produced with too damn much high end. it's like tim armstrong (who produced it) ran the thing through a high pass filter. ick.

plus the songs are lame. they're mostly about lars trying to show us all how badass he is. um....no. their first album was pretty damn good punk rock but "viking" blows.

ok, end my wee rant here! :madspit:

Yeah, I'm going with Around the Sun. What a pound of suck.

I wonder if people would think REM sucked if they had a U2-style publicity machine behind them. I mean, maybe they do suck now, I dunno. Haven't heard the album. 'Reveal' was a letdown in an airport, I must admit.

tennispunk said:
Lars Frederiksen and the Bastards - "Viking"

it's over-produced with too damn much high end. it's like tim armstrong (who produced it) ran the thing through a high pass filter. ick.

plus the songs are lame. they're mostly about lars trying to show us all how badass he is. um....no. their first album was pretty damn good punk rock but "viking" blows.

ok, end my wee rant here! :madspit:

haha, yeah. :up: agreed.

i think i like two songs on that album. that's not too many...and the title track is a steaming pile of shit unto itself.

Definitely REM. I like the album, but I used to love them. Haven't been the same since Bill Berry left.

Kieran McConville said:
I wonder if people would think REM sucked if they had a U2-style publicity machine behind them. I mean, maybe they do suck now, I dunno. Haven't heard the album. 'Reveal' was a letdown in an airport, I must admit.

Publicity does not make a good album.

Case in point Michael Jackson's Invincible album. One of the superstars of music, and it tanked in spite of that video and the hype.
Come to think of it, I think "Bad" was his last really succesful album.

Not to mention the hordes of bubble gum pop/rap/R&B who get mega exposure on mainstream radio and MTV and the charts. Doesn't mean they're THAT good.

Last edited:
U2girl said:

Publicity does not make a good album.

Case in point Michael Jackson's Invincible album. One of the superstars of music, and it tanked in spite of that video and the hype.

Not to mention the hordes of bubble gum pop/rap/R&B who get mega exposure on mainstream radio and MTV and the charts. Doesn't mean they're THAT good.

well... michael jackson also had those pesty lil' child molestation charges circling around him...

REM? they haven't really had a hit in like 12 years. :shrug: they've had some good songs in that time... but nothing that's made even a minor dent on radio.

Far and away it has to be Interpol - Antics. I was also very sad about the latest BRMC album (but that might have been 2003, I dunno). :down:

There are a BUNCH of 'em, boys and girls...!

Antics, by Interpol, is a PIECE OF SHIT relative to how good it could have/should have been. I really loved Turn On The Bright Lights a good deal...but Antics was unforgivable. I shudder to think...

The Cure was a really BAD album...although I don't know that it's fair to call it disappointing since there was NO chance that it'd be any good at all.

That Badly Drawn Boy album sucked pure ass, as well. Jesus, it was bad. I think it was called Badly Written, Performed, Conceived, and Produced Music or something...?

Good News For People Who Love Bad News was disppointing as hell. It shoulda' been called Good News For People Who Like Painfully Mediocre Music and then at least Modest Mouse would've been accurate. Bono once said that "good" music was the enemy of "great" music or something...this album is so "good" that it makes me sick. So utterly un-captivating--EVERY FUCKING SONG IS "OKAY" or "DECENT"--that I can't even bear it.

Calexico's newest was pretty disappointing, too....but, then, they've ALWAYS found a way to disappoint me with everything other than their live albums....

Yeah...there are more. I gots to eat some food, though.

calexico's album is from 03. the new modest mouse is really good.

Badly Drawn Boy was pretty weak.

I was expecting more from the Prodigy also.

i don't get why wilco's latest is taking so much slack...not just from you guys, but from a lot of other people too.

oh well.

i dunno.. i just couldn't get into it. I've got into it a bit more lately, so it's now out of my disappointing list, but it isn't in my best most favourite list either.

Tastes are fickle anyway.. i don't trust best of lists until at least a year down the road.. my best of 2003 is right now waaaay better than it was at the end of last year.

and as far as Wilco.. that 'breakdown' at the end of Less Than You Think which sounds like a shitty but pointless imitation of Reservations knocks a point off just by itself.

Zoomerang96 said:
i don't get why wilco's latest is taking so much slack...not just from you guys, but from a lot of other people too.

oh well.

Wilco get the flack they want. Tweedy almost asks for the alienation of his fanbase who jumped on board after YHF. But the diehards realize the effort and genius that is A Ghost is Born. Of course, that is only my opinion.

:wink:

And I must agree with Modest Mouse, very mediocre other than Float On.

U2girl said:

I'm not a Michael Jackson fan per se...but Dangerous (released in '91) was his last hit album. Bad came out in '87. I have no idea why I know this.

Also, the code to skip to Mike Tyson in Mike Tyson's Punch Out is 007 373 5963.

My high school locker combination was 21-49-11.

The Jets have won divisional championships in 1998 and 2002.

Back
Top Bottom