Most dissapointing albums.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm... when exactly did Bono describe ATYCLB as "punk rock"? "Titanium soul", yes, but "punk rock"?

Anyways:

PJ Harvey - Dance Hall at Louse Point, an album she's done with John Parish.
I adore the rest of her work, but this one just didn't go well with me.

Electric Soft Parade - I've read gushing praise about their debut so I gave it a try. Inoffensive, but soooo average.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
kevin you are going to be shot for that confession, you realize this! :ohmy:
I don't see why
people over here feel the need to put down ATYCLB every 2.87 weeks (yes, I'm keeping stats on this)

so, actually, I would have been disappointed if it wasn't mentioned here (I love that album though)

I don't think there's an album I'm really disappointed about

janes addiction kettle whistle
***** myownprison :silent:
days of the new
sarah maclachan surfacing
oasis familiar to millions
PUSA II
... and a whole bunch of others I don't remember, but sold them used.

meegannie said:

Most disappointing for me would be The White Stripes White Blood Cells, Jeff Buckley's Grace, Fischerspooner's #1, Cooper Temple Clause's See This Through & Leave....:hmm: I'll think of others later.

I have to disagree with you on Jeff Buckley here. Not just on the merits of the album (hey, everyone has his/her own taste), but more because it's the only album he made during his lifetime. So in that sense I wonder how it can be a disappointing album when he hasn't released any more albums? No, I'm not counting his posthumous (sp?) work as he never finished it.

As for me, I don't own any album I'm disappointed it (well... I do have Phil Collins' No Jacket Required, but that's just one of the worst albums ever and maybe apart from ...But Seriously he has never released an acceptable album).

C ya!

Marty

i was afriad that the audioslave album would disapoint me cos of all the hype, still haven't bought it. i think i need to do that...

Neil Diamond's 'Songs for Drifters' was, I felt, a disappointment. At least compared to his past work.

Queens of the Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf - I bought this based on a couple good words put in on this forum and a couple others I visit. Not impressed at all. Not even satisfied really. It sounds generic.

REM - Reveal - I think Bono was being a bit too generous when he praised this album so much before it's release. A lot of the songs have potential but fall well short, and there are only 4 on there that I actually like.

I have drifted in and out on the subject of REM, and have now settled on the opinion that Reveal is the worst album they've ever released. Which is saying a lot cause REM are (yes, still present tense I believe) a really good band.

Monster suffered by following Automatic for the People, Out of Time and a whole lot more. It was a sort of fuck-off album but has some great moments even so.

ATYCLB, coming from a band like U2, is so bad that I cannot begin to describe it. So, that's disappointing, but then again most people were really happy with it, so it probably doesn't count.

And 'Invincible' was kinda disappointing too, seeing as how Michael Jackson is the King of Pop and put in seven years of constant work with up to 58 songwriters labouring around the clock at gunpoint etc.

Disney on Ice was a bit of a letdown for me... poor old Walt just hasn't been the same since they put him in the cryogenic vat.

Radiohead-Kid A and Amnesiac
Oasis-Everything after WTSMG
Suede-Everything after Dog Man Star, basically Suede WERE Bernard Butler.
Primal Scream-Screamadelica and Give Out But Don't Give Up were wonderful, everything after is white guys trying WAY to hard to be black.

Zedbetty said:
And 'Invincible' was kinda disappointing too, seeing as how Michael Jackson is the King of Pop and put in seven years of constant work with up to 58 songwriters labouring around the clock at gunpoint etc.
:yes: i used to like his other stuff (what kid didn't?) but now i've just come to the conclusion that only the stuff he did when he was black is worth noting.

add me to the ATYCLB list

Death Cab for Cutie - We have the Facts...
it just sounds like this whipped this album up in 10 minutes...pretty boring

Lost Highway soundtrack - I wasn't expecting much. I really only got it for the great smashing pumpkins song (eye)....but the othewr 20 or so songs are PURE shit...such that I haven never put it on since.

Leonard Cohen - Ladies Man....for such a great singer/songwriter....this was a let down

I, too, was definitely disappointed with REM's Monster when I first got it. Even worse, I proceeded to buy their follow-up to Monster...wasn't it called Up? Daysleeper? Is this ringing a bell?

Anyway, there are quite a few songs I like on Monster now. Strange Currencies alone is worth the $$$ I spent on it. Haven't listened to that other one in forever, though.

Also disappointed in:

Dave Matthews Band--oh, the one with Don't Drink the Water on it, though there are a few good songs on it.

Million Dollar Hotel sdtrk. The U2/Bono stuff is great, but the rest is questionable at best.

HeartlandGirl said:

Dave Matthews Band--oh, the one with Don't Drink the Water on it, though there are a few good songs on it.

before these crowded streets. i was dissapointed in everyday, and even more so with busted stuff

REM

Yep, I have yet to make it through a complete listening of Reveal. I did, however, enjoy Monster.

as boring as it may seem, the scene of him running off the roof alone was worth the few bucks it cost to rent the movie.

so yes, lets fight.

:wink:

:( jeff buckley's grace is excellent, in my opinion. when i first got it i had heard much praise, and i didn't like it much. but once i actually started listening to it--the words, the music--rather than having it in the background...let's just say now my love for jeff buckley is second only to u2....

i also enjoy pete yorn's day i forgot. i'm listening to it right now, in fact. there are a few songs on it i don't like as much, but in general, i like it better than musicforthemorningafter

i guess it's just a matter of taste...as far as dissappointing albums...

i'll join the coldplay--robtth people...i got it but have never gotten into it.

other than that, i can't think of anything right now...

REM's followup to Monster was called New Adventures in Hi Fi.

I consider that pretty much all of the REM albums from Monster onward are somewhat disappointing, HOWEVER each and every one contains a fair chunk of excellent songs in amongst more mediocre recordings. New Adventures had Daysleeper, Ebow the Letter, Leave, and Electrolite. Which is pretty damn good.

As for Monster, Let Me In is one of my all time favourite REM songs.

I personally quite disliked Pete Yorn's first album, you could call it a disappointment. I wasnt expecting pure pop, I didnt like it.

I found Ryan Adams: Heartbreaker to be a huge disappointment too. Nothing new, special, or even interesting to me personally.

Every Metallica album since Black.

Music is all personal preference though, some people just dont like some things. That's just how it is.

Last edited:
Whoops, quick correction, New Adventures in Hi Fi did not have Daysleeper. That was on UP. My drugs aren't working today.

Radiohead - 'Hail to the Thief'
Stone Roses - 'Second Coming'
Starsailor - 'Whatever their newest is'
Stereolab - 'Everything after Dots and Loops'
Pearl Jam - 'Been slacking for a while, so anything after Vitology'
Audioslave - 'What a bore'
Doves - 'Last Broadcast'
The Strokes - 'Their new songs'
Hot Hot Heat - 'Make up the Breakdown'
Adult - 'Anxiety Always'
U2 - 'Pop'

Zoomerang96 said:
as boring as it may seem, the scene of him running off the roof alone was worth the few bucks it cost to rent the movie.

so yes, lets fight.

:wink:

A good scene, indeed.

Hmmm....I guess the fight's off? :shrug: :sexywink:

Back
Top Bottom