"Moses" belongs on ATYCLB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
Okay so don't bash me, I don't mean this to be another Coldplay bash thing, but I have to say I heard live Moses on the radio yesterday and was laughing my ass off at how much it is a ripoff of U2 and sounds like it belongs on ATYCLB between POE and Grace. Martin's pathetic attempt at Bono's falsetto was almost hilarious. I've heard of being influenced by a band, and that's cool, but from the guitar playing to the musical and vocal (attempts) stylings, this sounded like a U2 wannabee thing, much more than anything 'original' or 'groundbreaking'. Is that why you guys like them, they copy U2? But you hated Creed for copying U2? Never mind. But that's my point, that song belongs on ATYCLB.

*runs*

:reject:

i thought clocks was u2 the first 12 times i heard it.

:reject:

but i still dont like coldplay :wink:

actually, that song is ok. its 'yellow' which makes me want to run people over with a combine harvester.

:wink:

I know what you mean about Clocks. I hear UF all through it, the tinkling piano sounds, the style, the feel, everything. It's a clear ripoff and I can never understand why anyone can't see or hear that unless they just love Coldplay so much they want to think they are innovative and original or something. They are U2 wannabees and ripoffs and if anybody wants to like them for that okay, but to me it's a cheap imitation I don't care for at all.

I see what you mean about "Yellow" too :lol:

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:
...and I can never understand why anyone can't see or hear that unless they just love Coldplay so much they want to think they are innovative and original or something. They are U2 wannabees and ripoffs and if anybody wants to like them for that okay, but to me it's a cheap imitation I don't care for at all.

Don't you think that's a tad assumptive against Coldplay fans? I love Coldplay because they make beautiful music, and Chris is a wonderful lyricist. Yes, they are very influenced by U2, but that has never been a reason I've seen by ANY U2 fan for liking Coldplay. I LOVE Billy Joel - is it because I LOVE Elton John? Absolutely NOT.

I've never seen Coldplay as innovative or original. I don't know if anybody does. What they are good at is making very touching music that on many occasions, brings me to tears. I don't suckle at the Coldplay teet; I just think they make beautiful music.

If we all start disliking bands because their sound is heavily influenced by something that came before it, our CD collections will be very small. If I like the band's message, sound and lyrics, well, that's good enough for me. I am a schooled music fan, and I can pinpoint an influence along with the best of them. The question is - do I care? Not really.

As for your comment about Creed - they are pompous, ridiculous arena rockers whom even most music fans bash. The same can't be said about Coldplay.

I don't dislike them because they copy U2. I dislike them because I dislike Chris's voice and find most of their lyrics dull and uninspiring and their music boring. But mostly I dislike them because they are so overrated by people here. If it weren't for that I'd just ignore them. And I didn't mean to assume that's why ALL Coldplay fans like them I'm sure everybody has their own reasons. I just thought it was funny how much that song sounded like something from ATYCLB.

Last edited:
i still will never understand why people get so worked up about disliking a band that they have to constantly shout it from the rooftops. why can't you be happy that people have found something in coldplay that is meaningful and enjoyable? why do you care so much?

It's just an observation and I wanted to see if anyone else could hear the same thing. I said first off this is not meant to be a Coldplay bash thread so don't jump all over me. The question is, doesn't Moses sound like ATYCLB?

Back to the point, I think "Moses" is a shitty song - and sonically, does sound very similar to stuff off of ATYCLB.

like clash, or ramones were the inspiration spring for U2, the same is it for coldplay compared with U2, i don't think actually that coldplay are U2 wannabees, they're quite original even though they remind in some songs U2...but they would have already exploded if they would have wanted to be "U2", i think they're the right heirs of U2

HelloAngel said:

I've never seen Coldplay as innovative or original. I don't know if anybody does. What they are good at is making very touching music that on many occasions, brings me to tears. I don't suckle at the Coldplay teet; I just think they make beautiful music.

If we all start disliking bands because their sound is heavily influenced by something that came before it, our CD collections will be very small. If I like the band's message, sound and lyrics, well, that's good enough for me. I am a schooled music fan, and I can pinpoint an influence along with the best of them. The question is - do I care? Not really.

As for your comment about Creed - they are pompous, ridiculous arena rockers whom even most music fans bash. The same can't be said about Coldplay.

Couldn't have said it better myself. To be honest, Clocks-Live is Coldplay's attempt at making their own "streets" and whenever i heard the first few seconds of "In My Place" I thought It was Electrical Storm... as for Moses, I've only heard it live once and didn't like it much. But I still think they are worth listening to!

Now if you want a rip-off, how about that Hawksley Workman? His songs belong as B-Sides to "Beautiful Day" single!

Last edited:
*sigh*

Even your first post in this thread didn't stop at just Moses belonging on ATYCLB, you had to (yet again) add your own VERY well-known feelings on them and Chris Martin. How did you expect it not to turn sour sooner or later?
I also don't see the connection between people liking Coldplay on this board and you hating them. Go figure.

Yes, I'm one of the "lunatics" that likes Coldplay. Believe it or not, it had ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with them sounding like U2. I like what I hear, and their music touches me period. If that makes me an idiot to some people, I could care less. The only time that they really reminded me of U2 was the riff on In my place and Yellow, but then again, they've never hidden the fact that they're influenced by U2.
I don't see what is the big deal - everyone draws their influences from someplace - heck the whole songwriting principle for the vast majority of today's music ows it big time to the Beatles.

And no, I do not think Moses belongs on ATYCLB.

*edit* and it would be nice if you didn't use the roll-eye smilie at the Coldplay fans here - in advance even, it's bad enough you insult us in your threads.

Last edited:
i thought spin-off threads, repeated topics (especially those which always result in locked threads) and the like were banned.

for someone who makes a point to tell me she feels threatened by me, and is afraid to voice her musical taste, u2kitten certain does start quite a few of these things...

:rolleyes:

Moses is a mediocre song, and I guess it could fit on ATYCLB. I really never thought about it much, but then again, I only heard it a couple of times.

But I really don't get it anyway. What happened to live and let live? I think that The White Stripes are terribly overrated, I've seen them live, I've even sort of met them, and was not even once impressed. But I don't care if people here love them or if they're overrated here. Who gives a shit? People can love whatever they want to love and it's just a huge waste of time, IMO, to constantly be harping on negativity. I wouldn't even put Coldplay into my top of anything list, but I also don't see the poing of repeating that ad nauseum.

It's so easy to NOT listen to music you hate or to songs that sound like blatant ripoffs. I do it all the time. It's a waste of energy otherwise.

TO HELL WITH COLDPLAY and THE PEOPLE WHO LOVE THEM, F*#$ 'em all! :mad:

*burns all coldplay cds, concert tickets and erases all sorts of fond and loving memories out of my head that has to do with their music. Might as well burn everything else that I own that sounds like other successful bands*

/sarcastic response. I will say I cannot stand "Moses", I would like to toss that song into a pile of burning leaves. It is my least favorite song.

yes, i do not like coldplay either. we got off to a bad start with "yellow," really didn't like that song. there is one of their songs that is all right i suppose. i don't know the name of it, but i heard it on the radio so that would narrow it down a bit.

but yeah, i can't understand why coldplay is so fawned over, but then again i can't understand why britney spears still has a career. i guess if i had to choose between pop crap and stuff like coldplay, at least coldplay writes and performs their stuff.

ah well anyway, i don't like most new artists anyway. the only new cds i buy are by artists i've liked for years.

Dear Salome, Angela, Khanada or other resident mod-

PLEASE delete this thread NOW and forgive me for ever hoping that Coldplay could possibly be discussed in less than glowing terms without all the personal attacks. Please close it now before they all jump on this post and tell me what a terrible person I am for speaking negatively about a band that means so much to them :banghead: It was hopeless to believe I could ask the question about the ATYCLB connection without the past being drug out into the light. I will never understand why they are protected like no other band and cannot be discussed unless you praise them. A lot of bands are loved by and mean a lot to a lot of people but they are still open to opinion and two sided discussion.

Last edited:
darling, what did you expect when you posted this thread? you should have known from the past this would be a touchy topic in here.

short term memory.

i have the same problem...i'm forever posting threads here about bands that i should realise now one gives a fuck about.

U2Kitten said:
I will never understand why they are protected like no other band and cannot be discussed unless you praise them. A lot of bands are loved by and mean a lot to a lot of people but they are still open to opinion and two sided discussion.

I believe the problem is that many threads about Coldplay start out with an insult to the band or to its fans. Threads that start out in a negative light, end on a negative light. If you start out threads with a discussional or thought-provoking tone and less in-your-face, you will get responses that are less biting and more conversational and "open to opinion."

I refuse to protect Coldplay - I see no reason to. What I will do is defend myself against "assumptions" made by people who dislike Coldplay, the White Stripes and any other band who is bound to elicit dogged and impassioned discussion.

You see, if people are not logical when they discuss, if they can't keep their overamped emotions and assumptions out of it, there is no point in responding or even being a part of a controversial thread. It might behoove all of us to not bring BAGGAGE and ASSUMPTIONS to threads (or even visit them at all) if we are to continue discussing Coldplay, Creed and the like in the future.

But that's just my opinion.

It's funny; when people say that the band they -like- sounds like some other band they like, it's meant to be a compliment. Like, wow, that Vines song is so good it could have been a Nevermind outtake.

When they say that the band they -dislike- sounds like some other band they like, it's meant to be a derision.

I think "Moses" has a nice little guitar riff but the song sounds too U2 derivative for me to like it and I really like Coldplay, to boot.

Actually I think it's a medicore song to be honest.

As for "In My Place" sounding like Electrical Storm.... naw, Electrical Storm is actully Bono and co. trying to act/ sound like Coldplay, IMO... not a very good impression...

As for the Coldplay "likes" and "dislikes".... different strokes for different folks.

I also find it hypocritical to not be able to criticize/ bash a band like Coldplay or Radiohead considering people are often bash happy about Mayer, Creed, etc....

Last edited:
I believe "In My Place" was written back when the band was on tour for their Parachutes album. I have a bootleg from one of their concerts and they were playing that song along with a couple of other songs from what is now on the "Rush of Blood to the Head" LP. So I highly doubt they ripped ES off.

I also want to say I love John Mayer. :yes: :heart:

Justified said:
I also want to say I love John Mayer. :yes: :heart:
me too! i'll admit i don't like a lot of his fans though. the ones i saw at his concert were there because he's omg so cute!! i'm glad he's seeing success, but i wish they'd just stick with people who don't even write their own empty songs about nothing except dancing.

but i still had a good time when i saw john mayer, both times.

I have not seen him live for that very reason. I really regret not seeing him when was performing at a local bar here before hitting it big. I am also sad that I will not be able to see him open for Sting. :(

U2Kitten, I want to say you can have your opinion. I respect it, I don't think you should have requested this thread be deleted or closed because of your view on their music. I like to give you a hard time about it because well it is my job to play the devil about a band i love. I am sure we can get along. If I can like and date a die hard Republican *seeing that I am a die hard Democrat*, I am sure we can respectfully disagree about Coldplay and still be kind to one another. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom