"Moses" belongs on ATYCLB - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2004, 10:49 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:22 AM
"Moses" belongs on ATYCLB

Okay so don't bash me, I don't mean this to be another Coldplay bash thing, but I have to say I heard live Moses on the radio yesterday and was laughing my ass off at how much it is a ripoff of U2 and sounds like it belongs on ATYCLB between POE and Grace. Martin's pathetic attempt at Bono's falsetto was almost hilarious. I've heard of being influenced by a band, and that's cool, but from the guitar playing to the musical and vocal (attempts) stylings, this sounded like a U2 wannabee thing, much more than anything 'original' or 'groundbreaking'. Is that why you guys like them, they copy U2? But you hated Creed for copying U2? Never mind. But that's my point, that song belongs on ATYCLB.

*runs*

Old 04-18-2004, 10:59 AM   #2
Jesus Online

Local Time: 09:22 PM
i thought clocks was u2 the first 12 times i heard it.

but i still dont like coldplay

actually, that song is ok. its 'yellow' which makes me want to run people over with a combine harvester.

Old 04-18-2004, 11:02 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

I know what you mean about Clocks. I hear UF all through it, the tinkling piano sounds, the style, the feel, everything. It's a clear ripoff and I can never understand why anyone can't see or hear that unless they just love Coldplay so much they want to think they are innovative and original or something. They are U2 wannabees and ripoffs and if anybody wants to like them for that okay, but to me it's a cheap imitation I don't care for at all.

I see what you mean about "Yellow" too
Old 04-18-2004, 11:29 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
...and I can never understand why anyone can't see or hear that unless they just love Coldplay so much they want to think they are innovative and original or something. They are U2 wannabees and ripoffs and if anybody wants to like them for that okay, but to me it's a cheap imitation I don't care for at all.
Don't you think that's a tad assumptive against Coldplay fans? I love Coldplay because they make beautiful music, and Chris is a wonderful lyricist. Yes, they are very influenced by U2, but that has never been a reason I've seen by ANY U2 fan for liking Coldplay. I LOVE Billy Joel - is it because I LOVE Elton John? Absolutely NOT.

I've never seen Coldplay as innovative or original. I don't know if anybody does. What they are good at is making very touching music that on many occasions, brings me to tears. I don't suckle at the Coldplay teet; I just think they make beautiful music.

If we all start disliking bands because their sound is heavily influenced by something that came before it, our CD collections will be very small. If I like the band's message, sound and lyrics, well, that's good enough for me. I am a schooled music fan, and I can pinpoint an influence along with the best of them. The question is - do I care? Not really.

As for your comment about Creed - they are pompous, ridiculous arena rockers whom even most music fans bash. The same can't be said about Coldplay.
Old 04-18-2004, 11:36 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Old 04-18-2004, 11:42 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

I don't dislike them because they copy U2. I dislike them because I dislike Chris's voice and find most of their lyrics dull and uninspiring and their music boring. But mostly I dislike them because they are so overrated by people here. If it weren't for that I'd just ignore them. And I didn't mean to assume that's why ALL Coldplay fans like them I'm sure everybody has their own reasons. I just thought it was funny how much that song sounded like something from ATYCLB.
Old 04-18-2004, 11:43 AM   #7
Blue Crack Distributor

I'll second that
Old 04-18-2004, 11:45 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

i still will never understand why people get so worked up about disliking a band that they have to constantly shout it from the rooftops. why can't you be happy that people have found something in coldplay that is meaningful and enjoyable? why do you care so much?
Old 04-18-2004, 11:49 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

It's just an observation and I wanted to see if anyone else could hear the same thing. I said first off this is not meant to be a Coldplay bash thread so don't jump all over me. The question is, doesn't Moses sound like ATYCLB?
Old 04-18-2004, 12:52 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:22 AM
Back to the point, I think "Moses" is a shitty song - and sonically, does sound very similar to stuff off of ATYCLB.
Old 04-18-2004, 01:16 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:22 PM
like clash, or ramones were the inspiration spring for U2, the same is it for coldplay compared with U2, i don't think actually that coldplay are U2 wannabees, they're quite original even though they remind in some songs U2...but they would have already exploded if they would have wanted to be "U2", i think they're the right heirs of U2
Old 04-18-2004, 01:38 PM   #12
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel

I've never seen Coldplay as innovative or original. I don't know if anybody does. What they are good at is making very touching music that on many occasions, brings me to tears. I don't suckle at the Coldplay teet; I just think they make beautiful music.

If we all start disliking bands because their sound is heavily influenced by something that came before it, our CD collections will be very small. If I like the band's message, sound and lyrics, well, that's good enough for me. I am a schooled music fan, and I can pinpoint an influence along with the best of them. The question is - do I care? Not really.

As for your comment about Creed - they are pompous, ridiculous arena rockers whom even most music fans bash. The same can't be said about Coldplay.
Couldn't have said it better myself. To be honest, Clocks-Live is Coldplay's attempt at making their own "streets" and whenever i heard the first few seconds of "In My Place" I thought It was Electrical Storm... as for Moses, I've only heard it live once and didn't like it much. But I still think they are worth listening to!

Now if you want a rip-off, how about that Hawksley Workman? His songs belong as B-Sides to "Beautiful Day" single!
Old 04-18-2004, 01:40 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:22 AM
*sigh*

Even your first post in this thread didn't stop at just Moses belonging on ATYCLB, you had to (yet again) add your own VERY well-known feelings on them and Chris Martin. How did you expect it not to turn sour sooner or later?
I also don't see the connection between people liking Coldplay on this board and you hating them. Go figure.

Yes, I'm one of the "lunatics" that likes Coldplay. Believe it or not, it had ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with them sounding like U2. I like what I hear, and their music touches me period. If that makes me an idiot to some people, I could care less. The only time that they really reminded me of U2 was the riff on In my place and Yellow, but then again, they've never hidden the fact that they're influenced by U2.
I don't see what is the big deal - everyone draws their influences from someplace - heck the whole songwriting principle for the vast majority of today's music ows it big time to the Beatles.

And no, I do not think Moses belongs on ATYCLB.

*edit* and it would be nice if you didn't use the roll-eye smilie at the Coldplay fans here - in advance even, it's bad enough you insult us in your threads.
Old 04-18-2004, 01:44 PM   #14
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
But mostly I dislike them because they are so overrated by people here. If it weren't for that I'd just ignore them.

so this thread is their fault.
Old 04-18-2004, 03:59 PM   #15
you are what you is

Local Time: 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
its 'yellow' which makes me want to run people over with a combine harvester.

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa

Tags
coldplay