"Moses" belongs on ATYCLB - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2004, 04:08 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:49 PM
i thought spin-off threads, repeated topics (especially those which always result in locked threads) and the like were banned.

for someone who makes a point to tell me she feels threatened by me, and is afraid to voice her musical taste, u2kitten certain does start quite a few of these things...

Old 04-18-2004, 06:29 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:49 PM
Moses is a mediocre song, and I guess it could fit on ATYCLB. I really never thought about it much, but then again, I only heard it a couple of times.

But I really don't get it anyway. What happened to live and let live? I think that The White Stripes are terribly overrated, I've seen them live, I've even sort of met them, and was not even once impressed. But I don't care if people here love them or if they're overrated here. Who gives a shit? People can love whatever they want to love and it's just a huge waste of time, IMO, to constantly be harping on negativity. I wouldn't even put Coldplay into my top of anything list, but I also don't see the poing of repeating that ad nauseum.

It's so easy to NOT listen to music you hate or to songs that sound like blatant ripoffs. I do it all the time. It's a waste of energy otherwise.

Old 04-18-2004, 06:57 PM   #18
Refugee

TO HELL WITH COLDPLAY and THE PEOPLE WHO LOVE THEM, F*#$ 'em all!

*burns all coldplay cds, concert tickets and erases all sorts of fond and loving memories out of my head that has to do with their music. Might as well burn everything else that I own that sounds like other successful bands*

/sarcastic response. I will say I cannot stand "Moses", I would like to toss that song into a pile of burning leaves. It is my least favorite song.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:07 PM   #19
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 06:49 PM
yes, i do not like coldplay either. we got off to a bad start with "yellow," really didn't like that song. there is one of their songs that is all right i suppose. i don't know the name of it, but i heard it on the radio so that would narrow it down a bit.

but yeah, i can't understand why coldplay is so fawned over, but then again i can't understand why britney spears still has a career. i guess if i had to choose between pop crap and stuff like coldplay, at least coldplay writes and performs their stuff.

ah well anyway, i don't like most new artists anyway. the only new cds i buy are by artists i've liked for years.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:13 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Dear Salome, Angela, Khanada or other resident mod-

PLEASE delete this thread NOW and forgive me for ever hoping that Coldplay could possibly be discussed in less than glowing terms without all the personal attacks. Please close it now before they all jump on this post and tell me what a terrible person I am for speaking negatively about a band that means so much to them It was hopeless to believe I could ask the question about the ATYCLB connection without the past being drug out into the light. I will never understand why they are protected like no other band and cannot be discussed unless you praise them. A lot of bands are loved by and mean a lot to a lot of people but they are still open to opinion and two sided discussion.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:14 PM   #21
Refugee

darling, what did you expect when you posted this thread? you should have known from the past this would be a touchy topic in here.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:17 PM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

short term memory.

i have the same problem...i'm forever posting threads here about bands that i should realise now one gives a fuck about.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:30 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
I will never understand why they are protected like no other band and cannot be discussed unless you praise them. A lot of bands are loved by and mean a lot to a lot of people but they are still open to opinion and two sided discussion.
I believe the problem is that many threads about Coldplay start out with an insult to the band or to its fans. Threads that start out in a negative light, end on a negative light. If you start out threads with a discussional or thought-provoking tone and less in-your-face, you will get responses that are less biting and more conversational and "open to opinion."

I refuse to protect Coldplay - I see no reason to. What I will do is defend myself against "assumptions" made by people who dislike Coldplay, the White Stripes and any other band who is bound to elicit dogged and impassioned discussion.

You see, if people are not logical when they discuss, if they can't keep their overamped emotions and assumptions out of it, there is no point in responding or even being a part of a controversial thread. It might behoove all of us to not bring BAGGAGE and ASSUMPTIONS to threads (or even visit them at all) if we are to continue discussing Coldplay, Creed and the like in the future.

But that's just my opinion.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:30 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:49 AM
It's funny; when people say that the band they -like- sounds like some other band they like, it's meant to be a compliment. Like, wow, that Vines song is so good it could have been a Nevermind outtake.

When they say that the band they -dislike- sounds like some other band they like, it's meant to be a derision.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:05 PM   #25
New Yorker

I think "Moses" has a nice little guitar riff but the song sounds too U2 derivative for me to like it and I really like Coldplay, to boot.

Actually I think it's a medicore song to be honest.

As for "In My Place" sounding like Electrical Storm.... naw, Electrical Storm is actully Bono and co. trying to act/ sound like Coldplay, IMO... not a very good impression...

As for the Coldplay "likes" and "dislikes".... different strokes for different folks.

I also find it hypocritical to not be able to criticize/ bash a band like Coldplay or Radiohead considering people are often bash happy about Mayer, Creed, etc....
Old 04-18-2004, 10:23 PM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

oh, i still haven't even heard 'moses'.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:25 PM   #27
Refugee

I believe "In My Place" was written back when the band was on tour for their Parachutes album. I have a bootleg from one of their concerts and they were playing that song along with a couple of other songs from what is now on the "Rush of Blood to the Head" LP. So I highly doubt they ripped ES off.

I also want to say I love John Mayer.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:32 PM   #28
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justified
I also want to say I love John Mayer.
me too! i'll admit i don't like a lot of his fans though. the ones i saw at his concert were there because he's omg so cute!! i'm glad he's seeing success, but i wish they'd just stick with people who don't even write their own empty songs about nothing except dancing.

but i still had a good time when i saw john mayer, both times.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:34 PM   #29
Refugee

I have not seen him live for that very reason. I really regret not seeing him when was performing at a local bar here before hitting it big. I am also sad that I will not be able to see him open for Sting.
Old 04-18-2004, 11:45 PM   #30
Refugee

U2Kitten, I want to say you can have your opinion. I respect it, I don't think you should have requested this thread be deleted or closed because of your view on their music. I like to give you a hard time about it because well it is my job to play the devil about a band i love. I am sure we can get along. If I can like and date a die hard Republican *seeing that I am a die hard Democrat*, I am sure we can respectfully disagree about Coldplay and still be kind to one another.

Tags
coldplay