Morrissey--Ringleader of the Tormentors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lazarus

Blue Crack Supplier
I know there's a pre-existing Moz thread, but this album really deserves its own.

I'm blown away. As much as I like You Are The Quarry, it was more for its standout tracks than any kind of real consistency. And while there may not be anything on ROTT as instantly addictive as First of the Gang to Die, as an album it's the strongest since Vauxhall and I, and quite possibly the best album of Morrissey's solo career?

Why? In short, it fucking rocks, man. One would have to go back to Your Arsenal to find this much power. There aren't a lot of quiet tracks. But more importantly, on my first listen I just wasn't hearing any filler. I'm on my fourth go-around, and while there are certainly songs that are weaker than others, I'm liking EVERYTHING.

I don't want to ruin the surprises on this album by overdescribing them--there are a lot of interesting choices and instrumentation here, and I'm sure a good deal credit goes to producer Tony Visconti for that. When I first heard Morrissey was working with this legend, I was excited, and the collaboration paid off big time. Getting fellow legend (film score composer) Ennio Morricone to participate is just the tip of the iceberg. Recorded in Italy, the sound palette is broader this time, an exoticism at times that steers Moz a bit further away from his British origins. There are horns, there are strings, there are children's choruses. A lot of depth.

As I don't have the lyrics to look at, I can't really judge it on that end, but it was nice to hear, for the second album in a row, a leadoff track that takes a jab at everyone's favorite Imperialist nation. Moz is definitely not afraid of biting the hand that feeds him. There are the usual ruminations of mortality, loneliness,lost childhood, etc., but it's certainly not limited to that.

Hope some of you don't have to wait another four days to hear this--it's that good.

Got the new album.. and indeed better then You are the quarry..
i still rate Vauxhall and I as his best solo album, but this one comes close..

Id like to hear more opinions on this, ive heard some say its his best solo work and others have called it unlistenable. Ive only heard 2 tracks so far, im withholding judgement...

I can't believe no one else is talking about this album. I guess to the uninitiated, it might just sound like the same old Morrissey. But for people like myself who have been following his career, he really does sound rejuvenated.

It's holding up after a week of listening contantly as well.

Back
Top Bottom