More than a month after x&y is released, and I am underwhelmed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mofo said:

LOL!! everyone is entitled to their opinion, although going as far as saying that it's better than all U2's 90's catalog is quite a stretch just like intedomine said that till kingdome come and fix you are the worst songs which are actually my favorites. I'll probably get tired of fix you depending on the exposure but till kingdome come is right there with other quiet gems like see you soon and warning sign like I said it is a question of tastes as for all the debate as to which is better X&Y or HTDAAB I really don't take preference I enjoy each one for their strenghts not their weaknesses

Which '90's U2 album (excluding Achtung, which I said) is better?

Pop?

Fucking Zooropa?

Don't joke man, those albums were absolute trash. U2 completely overextended their reach into areas that they were not proficient and both of those albums came off as painfully embarassing. Just awful.

00's?

All That You Can't Leave Behind? How bland can an album get? People were happy with it merely because it wasn't a continuation of the awful trends that U2 were desperately trying to create.

HTDAAB? With the exception of COBL, the album reeks of mediocrity.

Go see Coldplay on this tour and see how beautifully these songs translate to the large ampitheaters. They're great. ALSO remember that these albums for Coldplay are the equivalent of Boy (uneven), October (One of my least favorite U2 discs) and War (an undisputed masterpiece). Before you speak, go through U2's discography and realize that after 11 studio albums (including Rattle and Hum), U2 has only 3 true classic 5 star albums (War, Joshua, Achtung). Their catalog is far from untouchable, ESPECIALLY, their post '91 work.

griffey123 said:

Pop?

Fucking Zooropa?...

and War (an undisputed masterpiece).

i'd take pop and zooropa over x&y anyday.

ooohhooohhoooohh ooohhoohhoooh i am a refugee...

masterpiece my ass.

griffey123 said:

Pop?

Fucking Zooropa?

Don't joke man, those albums were absolute trash. U2 completely overextended their reach into areas that they were not proficient and both of those albums came off as painfully embarassing. Just awful.

00's?

All That You Can't Leave Behind? How bland can an album get? People were happy with it merely because it wasn't a continuation of the awful trends that U2 were desperately trying to create.

Go see Coldplay on this tour and see how beautifully these songs translate to the large ampitheaters. They're great. ALSO remember that these albums for Coldplay are the equivalent of Boy (uneven), October (One of my least favorite U2 discs) and War (an undisputed masterpiece). Before you speak, go through U2's discography and realize that after 11 studio albums (including Rattle and Hum), U2 has only 3 true classic 5 star albums (War, Joshua, Achtung). Their catalog is far from untouchable, ESPECIALLY, their post '91 work.

I not one minute ago agreed with you on Kanye West.

Now I think you're nuts.

griffey123 said:

Pop?

Fucking Zooropa?

00's?

Actually yes I went to Coldplay in London at the Crystal Palace and yes they translate beautiful in a live setting and no I am not one of the coldplay bashers in this forum, like I said before I love both groups and I don't really compare them. And before I speak yes I went through U2's catalog seeing as I now them by heart and I can actually play most of their songs and Codlplays to. Most songs by both groups are extremely simple compared to other groups and yet in their simplicity also lies the genius that they work musically and in terms of melody but again saying X&Y is better than Pop is quiet something, like I said everyone is entitled to their opinion

zooropa and pop are better than almost anything anyone's ever put out.

including u2.

and most certainly coldplay.

was listening to fix you again this morning and was thoroughly underwhelmed. folks, i don't bash because it's the in thing to do...x+y is an album that is merely a sidestep from their previous efforts. so they use more synths...big deal.

and yet, i still wonder if this is better than htdaab.

I might be beating a dead horse, but I just want to reiterate my opinion:

I actually LIKE coldplay; don't love 'em/don't hate 'em....but I prefer them to many if not most people doing rock music these days.

however, I think x&y is totally over-hyped. many might say htdaab was over hyped, and that may be, but that's a seperate subject. the songs on x&y leave me with this look on my face sometimes: :| usually when there's a particularly cliche lyric (which happens often).

I mean, for people to say coldplay are the new u2....it's like: they're not even the new rem or the new radiohead, maybe they're the new oasis...you know, a few brilliant songs and alot of mediocre ones....then again, alot of people would say that about u2......hmmmm.....

whatever, the album gets 2 out of 5 stars from me.

griffey123 said:

Pop?

Fucking Zooropa?

Don't joke man, those albums were absolute trash.

I think you're delusional. Pop and Zooropa blow everything Coldplay has ever done out the water.

griffey123 said:

ALSO remember that these albums for Coldplay are the equivalent of Boy (uneven), October (One of my least favorite U2 discs) and War (an undisputed masterpiece).

Don't joke, man. X&Y is anything but the equivalent of those albums. You're trying to compare Coldplay in their late 20's to U2 in their teens and early 20's. Don't blame U2 because Coldplay has sat on their ass for most of their 20's (prime music making years) and only put out 3 albums at an age where U2 had put out 6. I shudder to think what Coldplay's output will be like in their 30's and 40's if they're this lethargic already.

Last edited:
Se7en said:

i'd take pop and zooropa over x&y anyday.

ooohhooohhoooohh ooohhoohhoooh i am a refugee...

masterpiece my ass.

Too right. What bothers me about this board is that if you criticise Coldplay you seem to be automatically saying "Coldplay are rubbish and U2 are amazing". It seems that people get back at you for criticising Coldplay by criticising U2. I don't like X&Y or HTDAAB that much. But Pop and Zooropa are brilliant albums.

X&Y has been ridiculously overrated by the critics IMO. In ten years times it will probably be looked upon as an average album (bit like HTDAAB and ATYCLB)

nickypiemcg said:

But Pop and Zooropa are brilliant albums.

:up:

the only reason i will "criticise" u2 in a coldplay context is because it seems like one can't come up without the other.

for instance, "coldplay is not the next u2 how dare they even say that they want to be that big omg wtf." at that point, and usually at most, i will defend x&y as being more interesting than most things u2 have done this decade.

I saw coldplay last night (and going again tonight). They are great, and l love their albums, but they are no U2 live.

I taped and you can grab a couple MP3's here and decide for yourself.

http://rapid share . de/files/4230465/coldplay2005-08-20sample.zip.html

Back
Top Bottom