more computer help needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABEL

An Angel In Devil's Shoes
why can't i start my computer in safe mode? :angry:

it's been driving me crazy for 2 days.
i'm running windows ME.
i've tried holding down the control key while rebooting, and i've tried rebooting and tapping the F8 key. i've tried and tried and tried again.

i need to start it in safe mode cuz i've got some :censored: spyware and was given this advice by dell support (along with other steps i have to do).

:banghead:

:scream:

hmmmm....if it's absolutely refusing to start in Safe Mode, it may have larger problems than spyware...oh wait, it has windows ME, yep you're screwed. ME = worst.operating.system.EVER. :banghead:

What I do is reboot and immediately hit F8 key like a spastic maniac until the Safe Mode menu appears or the computer starts beeping like "I GET IT ALREADY". :shrug:

If you can't get it to go, you're best bet is removing anything from Add/Remove in Control Panel that you don't recognize, namely "Gator" "Hotbar" or any other search bar, tool bar, or internet companion. Then get Spybot S&D, update it, and run it. I like to do Spybot AND Adaware just for good measure.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I like to do Spybot AND Adaware just for good measure.
yes. YES. that and getting rid of windows me is the best computer advice ever. it's best to run them both because each program will pick up things that the other doesn't. try running both and then running the comp in safe mode if the two programs alone don't get rid of the spyware. if you run both and still can't get into safe mode, then i'd definitely suggest calling dell back.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
What I do is reboot and immediately hit F8 key like a spastic maniac until the Safe Mode menu appears

that worked :lmao: :reject:

i already have spybot s&d and adaware that i'm running. dell support walked me through another program called hijack this. but you have to be VERY careful about what you delete.

i think, hopefully i may have gotten rid of everything. we'll see.

While we're on the subject of computer help, I've just bought a cd-burner (Plextor :up: ). The manual gives the advice to connect the burner on the secundary connector as master and to install no other hardware on the secundary connector. However, I already have my 'normal' cd-rom player as a master on the secundary ide. Can I just put the cd-rom player as a slave and the burner as master? What is a boy to do???

Edited to say that ME sucks and it used to make my computer freeze up, but now I have XP and it is much more stable! :drool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom