Monster, The Netherlands Superthread - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2008, 08:28 AM   #76
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Yeah, especially as I have a modem that can accommodate four computers. So where the bloody hell are you?

Oh god, imagine if one of us wore one to a concert and somebody who didn't appreciate our work spotted it! I'd just respond to them with "what, you thought that was a hoax?!"
I'm bloody racing to Emirates.com!

I'd love to go to a concert wearing a Kunstmuseum shirt. I'd be concerned about being killed in the parking lot afterwards, though.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:29 AM   #77
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela Harlem View Post
As you're all (apparently) going to hell, you'll probably meet them!
And we are rebel angels.

I'm ascareded.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:30 AM   #78
Blue Crack Supplier

Five minutes and I'm out of here.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:32 AM   #79
Jesus Online

Local Time: 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
Five minutes and I'm out of here.
I admire your faith.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:33 AM   #80
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I admire your faith.

I'll be very careful on the stairs now
Old 08-03-2008, 08:34 AM   #81
Vocal parasite

Quote:
My original reply where I mentioned AB/Pop/Zoo also criticised ATYCLB and HTDABYHAT.. HTT..DB... but my fucktard laptop overheated and it crashed at the worst time.

ZooTV was brilliant. I take it you didn't go? I was squashed up front row. It was where I got ahold of Bono's cup, and thusly his DNA which I had plans to sell to PLEBA, but changed them when I considered who'd win out of that - a PLEBAN getting the score of the century and me probably going to jail? Fuck that. Ali and I can have his DNA on our own. We don't have to share.
It's funny, I loved HTDAAB when it came out. And there are very embarrassing posts in my post history about it. But it had NO staying power whatsoever and now I can't say I'd be sad if I never heard it again.

The only U2 tour I've actually attended is Vertigo, but due to the way I enjoy shows (i.e. I focus entirely on the music to the exclusion of everything else; visuals may be nice, but I can almost never see them!), I have found that the opinions I form on music from bootlegs are exactly the same that I form when I actually attend. In any case, my primary criticisms of ZooTV relate to shocking setlisting, and I just don't dig some of Bono's acting and ... well, not insincerity, but I can't think of the right word. I prefer the earnest, passionate Bono of the eighties to the ironic rockstar Bono of ZooTV or the obnoxious rambly prat of this decade. I should state that I have listened to EVERY ZooTV concert that's been bootlegged. I've listened to every U2 show for which there is a bootleg from 1982 to 2001 as part of working on U2gigs. My opinions of some tours rose from doing that, some stayed the same, and ZooTV and Elevation plummeted.

And at the DNA thing!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-03-2008, 08:35 AM   #82
Blue Crack Supplier

Outta here. Night!
Old 08-03-2008, 08:35 AM   #83
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
I'm bloody racing to Emirates.com!

I'd love to go to a concert wearing a Kunstmuseum shirt. I'd be concerned about being killed in the parking lot afterwards, though.

If I go to a U2 concert again, I promise you, I will wear a Kunstmuseum shirt.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-03-2008, 08:38 AM   #84
Jesus Online

night Ian! Take it easy...
Old 08-03-2008, 08:39 AM   #85
Vocal parasite

Have a good one, Ian. Sweet dreams of postwhoring!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-03-2008, 08:48 AM   #86
Jesus Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
It's funny, I loved HTDAAB when it came out. And there are very embarrassing posts in my post history about it. But it had NO staying power whatsoever and now I can't say I'd be sad if I never heard it again.

The only U2 tour I've actually attended is Vertigo, but due to the way I enjoy shows (i.e. I focus entirely on the music to the exclusion of everything else; visuals may be nice, but I can almost never see them!), I have found that the opinions I form on music from bootlegs are exactly the same that I form when I actually attend. In any case, my primary criticisms of ZooTV relate to shocking setlisting, and I just don't dig some of Bono's acting and ... well, not insincerity, but I can't think of the right word. I prefer the earnest, passionate Bono of the eighties to the ironic rockstar Bono of ZooTV or the obnoxious rambly prat of this decade. I should state that I have listened to EVERY ZooTV concert that's been bootlegged. I've listened to every U2 show for which there is a bootleg from 1982 to 2001 as part of working on U2gigs. My opinions of some tours rose from doing that, some stayed the same, and ZooTV and Elevation plummeted.

And at the DNA thing!
I guess our experiences and opinions are based on very different things. I've seen ZooTV, Popmart and the last one they did. Vertigo? I can't tell the difference between the last 2 rubbish albums which I don't think I even own. I may own the airport one, but I didn't buy it. I can barely remember tracks. I've got no idea on the atomic bomb album as by then my interest in the band and their music bordered on cringeworthy dislike. ZooTV was like the peak of my love for them. It was a great time in life, the best concert I'd attended by yards (my top 3 favourite concerts would make you cry, really), and being so close to it all - it was just the sweetest. Pop was an awful failure, but we also had the shittiest weekend in history that weekend! But still I loved the album, the band, things were good, the tour just flopped. It's been downhill for me since then. Beautiful Day sounds like headlice stuck in a polyestre wig which has been set on fire. I was so hyped waiting for that damn album, and they come out with elevator music. Disappointing. The Vertigo show was fun, though. Boy did my U2 senses wake up when they did The Saints!!! I hadn't heard the song before (I really ignore all U2 discussion here and had gone on a 6 month break from commerical radio - who do i remind you of? ) but at that show, I thought "My god, are they back?? Are U2 BACK???" It was really exciting.

I do believe music is coming back to me. I've been jaded and disappointed with music of late. I think I'm getting over my tantrum and am falling in love again. It's feeling good.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:04 AM   #87
Vocal parasite

Quote:
I guess our experiences and opinions are based on very different things. I've seen ZooTV, Popmart and the last one they did. Vertigo? I can't tell the difference between the last 2 rubbish albums which I don't think I even own. I may own the airport one, but I didn't buy it. I can barely remember tracks. I've got no idea on the atomic bomb album as by then my interest in the band and their music bordered on cringeworthy dislike. ZooTV was like the peak of my love for them. It was a great time in life, the best concert I'd attended by yards (my top 3 favourite concerts would make you cry, really), and being so close to it all - it was just the sweetest. Pop was an awful failure, but we also had the shittiest weekend in history that weekend! But still I loved the album, the band, things were good, the tour just flopped. It's been downhill for me since then. Beautiful Day sounds like headlice stuck in a polyestre wig which has been set on fire. I was so hyped waiting for that damn album, and they come out with elevator music. Disappointing. The Vertigo show was fun, though. Boy did my U2 senses wake up when they did The Saints!!! I hadn't heard the song before (I really ignore all U2 discussion here and had gone on a 6 month break from commerical radio - who do i remind you of? ) but at that show, I thought "My god, are they back?? Are U2 BACK???" It was really exciting.

I do believe music is coming back to me. I've been jaded and disappointed with music of late. I think I'm getting over my tantrum and am falling in love again. It's feeling good.
Yeah, I focus so specifically onh the music that, well, the best bootlegs I think provide an even better impression of the show than being there, because unless you're the guy at the mixing desk, you in the crowd won't hear the mix as well as it's presented on that bootleg. And since I'm judging the performance based on the music, with aspects like audience atmosphere and visuals very secondary concerns, I don't think my ability to pass judgement on the concert's quality is any way dependent on whether or not I'm actually in the building. So why do I go to concerts? Because it's fucking cool to hear loud music created right in front of me. And there's no guarantee of a high quality bootleg!

Ha, even though I don't agree with your description of Beautiful Day, I love it. The song's neither here nor there for me. ATYCLB as an album, however, can just fuck off. I can't believe that after Pop, they made THAT. They must have all been repeatedly dropped on their heads from great heights all through 1999 or something.

I go through very intense and very short phases with music. Listlessness and boredom, infatuation with new stuff, obsessive playing of old classics ... rarely does each stage last more than a couple of months before I slip into another.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-03-2008, 09:12 AM   #88
Jesus Online

I gotta stay in here and hide from FYM. There's one of those threads where everyone with an opinion is blowing hot air... For a change. And not that I've ever been any different. Hell, opinion is all I have!

I'm completely distracted now. I was going to go through the squeezebox's song list and paste out the list of songs with the work 'fuck' in it. Holy crap, I had no idea. Mat was just playing with it. Very funny. Or sad.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:15 AM   #89
Vocal parasite

Quote:
I gotta stay in here and hide from FYM. There's one of those threads where everyone with an opinion is blowing hot air... For a change. And not that I've ever been any different. Hell, opinion is all I have!

I'm completely distracted now. I was going to go through the squeezebox's song list and paste out the list of songs with the work 'fuck' in it. Holy crap, I had no idea. Mat was just playing with it. Very funny. Or sad.
I've given up on FYM. The tone and standard of conversation just bug me now. Would you believe that on a past Superthread, we actually had a calm and reasonable abortion discussion? We understood each other's perspectives, were able to come to understandings and conclusions, etc. It was amazing. So if I want to discuss anything FYMy, odds are I'd bring it up here instead, since the extremists rule FYM these days. I don't remember it being quite this bad a couple of years ago; I used to enjoy checking it.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-03-2008, 09:22 AM   #90
Jesus Online

I moderated it a couple of years, that's why it was brilliant! Nah, kidding. I do feel for yolland having all the worst seem to be the norm. She seems to cope with them though.

Christ, it's 11.20! I better head off very soon. Damn baby will wake up soon.

Tags
superthread