Monster, The Netherlands Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it's placement is a bit odd, I can't think of anywhere it could really go EXCEPT a B-Side. Though it really does belong on an album, I think.

Drowning Man is probably my favourite song on War, but it's placement is also pretty whack, now that you mention it. I never did pay much attention to the placement of the tracks on there since, ya know, I don't listen to it much. I'd go as far as I say it's my least favourite U2 album, period. I would just rather listen to other albums. :shrug:

If the album had 11OTT, you could do TEC --> 11OTT --> Ocean to close it out, and you'd even get the traditional pairing of 11OTT and The Ocean that U2 used live, but then what to do with SATT? It's a more natural closer anyway, so I favour TEC --> 11OTT --> SATT and use The Ocean as a b-side to 11OTT.

God, I could never rank War that low. Not when it has songs like NYD, Like A Song, and Drowning Man, each one of which is individually superior to all of ATYCLB and HTDAAB combined. I rank War sixth, below October but above Zooropa.

If the album had 11OTT, you could do TEC --> 11OTT --> Ocean to close it out, and you'd even get the traditional pairing of 11OTT and The Ocean that U2 used live, but then what to do with SATT? It's a more natural closer anyway, so I favour TEC --> 11OTT --> SATT and use The Ocean as a b-side to 11OTT.

God, I could never rank War that low. Not when it has songs like NYD, Like A Song, and Drowning Man, each one of which is individually superior to all of ATYCLB and HTDAAB combined. I rank War sixth, below October but above Zooropa.
Is it bad that it takes me a minute to figure out what all these abbreviations mean? :laugh:

I do simply because even though it has songs I like on it, overall, it is the last album I'd listen to. Yeah, I think that ATYCLB and HTDAAB musically aren't as good as a lot of their other stuff, but overall is what I count, whether or not I can listen to the entire thing without turning it off. For example, the ONLY song I don't like from ATYCLB is Wild Honey. That song just pisses me off. It's so fucking random and doesn't even belong on the album. Not to mention I don't like it as a song anyway. I don't like a few tracks on HTDAAB but I think I could listen to it (all the way through) before War without tearing my hair out. I don't think ATYCLB is as good as say, UF musically and the only reason it earned my favourite album rank is because of the personal ties behind it.

OK, keeping myself awake isn't working. Have a good one, folks. It's been fun today. :wave:

You're not into Boy either?

I just can't really look at Boy or October as anything meaningful ( I think I have the bad habit of pushing off anything remotely punk as forgettable). They're good fun albums, but If I'm in the mood for serious music listening, I would never turn to either of them. This is not to say that I don't LIKE either album, but I hardly ever find a reason I would turn to listen to them, except for U2 listening parties/obsession with U2 exploding again. understandable?

Is it bad that it takes me a minute to figure out what all these abbreviations mean? :laugh:

I do simply because even though it has songs I like on it, overall, it is the last album I'd listen to. Yeah, I think that ATYCLB and HTDAAB musically aren't as good as a lot of their other stuff, but overall is what I count. For example, the ONLY song I don't like from ATYCLB is Wild Honey. That song just pisses me off. It's so fucking random and doesn't even belong on the album. Not to mention I don't like it as a song anyway. I don't like a few tracks on HTDAAB but I think I could listen to it (all the way through) before War without tearing my hair out. I don't think ATYCLB is as good as say, UF musically and the only reason it earned my favourite album rank is because of the personal ties behind it.

:lol: I seriously think in abbreviations and throw them around without even thinking about it.

See, I don't think Wild Honey is that bad. It's a bit of summery fun. Certainly hardly as bad as the inane idiocy of In A Little While or the over-obvious bollocks of Peace On Earth or the radio-sanitised Stuck. Wild Honey would probably make more sense if Flower Child and Summer Rain were also on the album. Why they chose Wild Honey of those three to represent that style and vibe is beyond me, though, since the other two are both better-written. It's like U2 have something against well-written songs this decade. See: Native Son brutalised into Vertigo, and Smile's omission from HTDAAB. Seriously, U2 are the LAST people who should be judging their own work since they are so consistently wrong.

Anyway, I'm really out this time. :wave:

I just can't really look at Boy or October as anything meaningful ( I think I have the bad habit of pushing off anything remotely punk as forgettable). They're good fun albums, but If I'm in the mood for serious music listening, I would never turn to either of them. This is not to say that I don't LIKE either album, but I hardly ever find a reason I would turn to listen to them, except for U2 listening parties/obsession with U2 exploding again. understandable?

You say this and yet praise an album with TENTH TENTH TENTH TENTH TENTH Avenue Freeze Out. :wink:

I'm surprised you dismiss it and punk so quickly though, given how the better bands often had some of the strongest and most powerful socio-political lyrics. The Clash being a good example. U2 not so much, given Bono was still finding his stride, but hell, they haven't written a song this decade as good as Gloria or Twilight or The Electric Co.

... bah, damn addictive thread!

I can't hear lyrics cause I can't abide the music :wink:
I guess you can bash on Tenth Av if you must :tsk: But a Change was made uptown and the bigman joined the band, don't forget that now, because it's the most important part

Boo ATYCLB and HTDAAB bashing :wink:

ATYCLB was my first U2 album and still is one of my favourites, Wild Honey always puts me in a good mood :drool:

The Bomb is one of their "least good" albums but I still think it's a pretty great collection of songs; One Step Closer, City, Original :drool:

Not up to much, just playing Age of Empires, and listening to The National in a depressed manner :grumpy:

I'm fine, making "dinner"; well that was the plan until I realise there was nothing there to make instead I will now have noddles with tuna:drool:

Yeah Gibby, it's the first one. I picked it and the second one up for $10 at walmart yesterday, afer I found Empire Earth and Rise and Rule of Ancient Emprires in a box downstairs. online told me Empire Earth is hella hard though, and R&R is kinda lame, and told me to try out AOE so here I am lol

Yeah Gibby, it's the first one. I picked it and the second one up for $10 at walmart yesterday, afer I found Empire Earth and Rise and Rule of Ancient Emprires in a box downstairs. online told me Empire Earth is hella hard though, and R&R is kinda lame, and told me to try out AOE so here I am lol

Empire Earth is hella hard; I once has this massive empire and was able to withstand invasion after invasion and then...planes were invented and they bombed me to the ground

All that I managed to escape with was two aircraft carriers and a transport ship, that was one epic journey lol

Tuna and noodles are delicious

and

Implausible, but apparently not impossible :ohmy:

HOW DO YOU BUILD A DAMNED MARKE?!

The AOE series is awesome. :up:

Here is an amusing strategy to try out: First, ensure that you have full control over as many stone stockpiles as possible. You can do this by building a tower or two by each source and keeping a few foot soldiers nearby to take care of any wandering peasants from the computer's side. Once you've collected a shitload of stone, construct a wall around your base. Have your main gate pointing in the direction of the computer's town centre, and then construct a narrow stone passage that extends out from the gate. Line the passage with as many towers as you can - instant pathway of doom! The computer is stupid, and will attempt to attack the gate first. The AI armies will have to pass through the towers and will die before they even manage to get there. That leaves you free to build up your own armies without worrying about an outside attack. Also, if you attack the computer's base immediately after your towers have wiped out one of its armies, you'll encounter very little opposition. Cruel, but it works! :evil:

Empire Earth is hella hard; I once has this massive empire and was able to withstand invasion after invasion and then...planes were invented and they bombed me to the ground

All that I managed to escape with was two aircraft carriers and a transport ship, that was one epic journey lol

I've never played Empire Earth before. :hmm: It sounds fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom