Monster, The Netherlands Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It might be the one record I'll never achieve. Never missed a thread. Second most posts in the Superthreads ever, but never broke 300 posts in a single thread.

What a story!

That would just be fucking bizarre. I do wonder when we'll finally do a thread that you miss. :lol:

Hahaha, I just noticed that the thread we hijacked in our forum gypsy stage on Peeling Off Those Dollar Bills is STILL on that forum's first page. :lmao:

And if you need proofreading or anything, I'd be happy to help such a worthy cause.

Heh, all the courses here have a requirement of 4,000 words total - which usually means two 2,000 word essays or one 2,000 word essay and an exam, but occasionally in History courses I strike a 2,500 word research essay and a 1,500 word reflective essay. Isn't so bad, though, since the reflective essays are pointless wank while the extra room on the research essay is handy.

I'll aim to get most of the writing done Tuesday/Wednesday, so I'll send you a draft for a read through then.

I like they way your courses have it. I can understand why some of my papers which have a practical element don't do it, but the one that I have to write this essay for could benefit from logical thinking like that.

I hate reflective writing. I managed to get a C on a 600 word reflective essay just because I didn't know what the fuck I wanted to say. What did they want me to say, "I feel as though I'm just as good a writer as I was when I came into the course, that I was being taught what I already knew"?

I'll aim to get most of the writing done Tuesday/Wednesday, so I'll send you a draft for a read through then.

I like they way your courses have it. I can understand why some of my papers which have a practical element don't do it, but the one that I have to write this essay for could benefit from logical thinking like that.

I hate reflective writing. I managed to get a C on a 600 word reflective essay just because I didn't know what the fuck I wanted to say. What did they want me to say, "I feel as though I'm just as good a writer as I was when I came into the course, that I was being taught what I already knew"?

Ah, that soon? Awesome. I'll be looking forward to it.

Yeah, I'm happy with how it's structured, though the word limit does feel like it cramps me more than it helps me. Can't wait for Honours next year and some more realistic word limits.

Reflective essays in History mercifully aren't bad. They want you to talk about the general themes on the course and reflect on the content of the prescribed readings. So for Holocaust & Genocide, for example, the reflective essay was one that considered multiple genocides in a comparative sense. It usually proves to be dull wank, but easy wank.

:lol:

We do deserve our own forum!

We've just about got one, given how large this is!

Also, that's our Kunstmuseum thread on POTDB! Oh god. Can my night get any better? A postwhorehouse record here and postwhorehouse history there ...

Anna! :wave:

In the time you were gone, you missed a whole Superthread.

Ah, that soon? Awesome. I'll be looking forward to it.

Yeah, I'm happy with how it's structured, though the word limit does feel like it cramps me more than it helps me. Can't wait for Honours next year and some more realistic word limits.

Reflective essays in History mercifully aren't bad. They want you to talk about the general themes on the course and reflect on the content of the prescribed readings. So for Holocaust & Genocide, for example, the reflective essay was one that considered multiple genocides in a comparative sense. It usually proves to be dull wank, but easy wank.

It IS due on Friday, and since I have a class on Friday morning I can't do it at the last minute.

It would be nice to be able to have more flexibility with word counts. Especially with two essay papers. Last semester I had to write two 2,500 word essays. The first one I struggled to about 2,300 words (and got a B+, I think), and the next one I had to fight to stay below 2,700 words. If they'd asked for 5,000 words in essays I'd have managed even better marks, I'm sure.

Your reflective essays actually sound useful.

It IS due on Friday, and since I have a class on Friday morning I can't do it at the last minute.

It would be nice to be able to have more flexibility with word counts. Especially with two essay papers. Last semester I had to write two 2,500 word essays. The first one I struggled to about 2,300 words (and got a B+, I think), and the next one I had to fight to stay below 2,700 words. If they'd asked for 5,000 words in essays I'd have managed even better marks, I'm sure.

Your reflective essays actually sound useful.

Oh, wow, you've stuff due already? I've nothing due until late September.

For me, the word count issue is very dependent on how much I give a shit. If I don't care, merely getting to 1,000 words is the definition of tedious. But when I am really into the material, I could write a whole fucking book. I imagine that's true for a lot of people, really. My Kiwi history stuff? I have this draft essay, just exploring possibilities. It has 1,000 words simply outlining the contrary case and placing the topic in context! I wrote it off the top of my head in half an hour one night when the essay I was meant to be writing was too dull to focus on.

Oh, wow, you've stuff due already? I've nothing due until late September.

For me, the word count issue is very dependent on how much I give a shit. If I don't care, merely getting to 1,000 words is the definition of tedious. But when I am really into the material, I could write a whole fucking book. I imagine that's true for a lot of people, really. My Kiwi history stuff? I have this draft essay, just exploring possibilities. It has 1,000 words simply outlining the contrary case and placing the topic in context! I wrote it off the top of my head in half an hour one night when the essay I was meant to be writing was too dull to focus on.

It's only (only!) about 20% of the overall mark though, and they don't seem to expect much of us. I'll also have a 3000 word essay due in about three weeks, but that's because of the topic I chose and when it falls in the curriculum.

I find the order of my getting a decent word count relies on, in this order:

1) How much I understand what I'm talking about
2) How much I care about what I'm writing
3) How much research I've done

If I know what I'm talking about I can write a heap without research. But if I've no idea what I'm on about, all of the research in the world won't help me.

I'm probably going to be less inclined to post a lot somewhere else. Although my next wishful international trip is Melbourne, so that may be no better than continuing to post.

:lol: Yeah, post on the postwhorehouse, or hang out with the postwhores ...

I can imagine that if you visited my place, we'd both just end up posting on the thread. Because, you know, we aren't #1 and #2 here for nothing.

The thread is very much reminding me that this place really misses Vazza. It's just not the same without her.

Hell yes. And make the Kunstmuseum t-shirts. I want one for every day of the week.

I randomly clicked onto Vazza trying to set me up with one of her friends :lol:

I want at least one t-shirt for each day of the week, and spares to carry with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom