Monster/Pop and beyond... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2005, 01:20 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 10:08 AM
Monster was a HUGE hit. It sold 4 million copies, same as Out of Time and Automatic. Those three albums in a row were the peak of their popularity.

Monster just gets disregarded by some hardcore REM fans who want all of their music to be janglely.

Monster

Oh, and someone actually used the word "meh" to describe New Adventures.

Old 08-27-2005, 01:28 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque

3. New Adventures is great!!! E-bow The Letter and Electrolite are only the tip of the iceberg. And E-bow is not even as good as songs like Leave, Bittersweet Me, So Fast So Numb and Binky The Doormat.
I have nothing to add to this thread, but E-Bow the Letter is like the best REM song ever (except possibly Nightswimming). Don't insult it.

Old 08-27-2005, 01:38 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 09:08 AM
I think with Monster, REM was trying to be something they are not. The album was hyped to be a rocker, but it was full of distorted guitars and fuzzy production, and cold lyrics. I admire them for trying an album like this while the grunge scene was in full effect, but for me it failed miserably....it just wasn't the REM I liked....although many seem to enjoy it.

And, it is the only cd I've ever had in my collection that I wasn't able to sell back to a used cd outfit. Nobody wants it. That says something.

However, New Adventures is fabulous and is completely underrated.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:42 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The OOTS

And, it is the only cd I've ever had in my collection that I wasn't able to sell back to a used cd outfit. Nobody wants it. That says something.

All that really means is that it isn't popular. Good and popular are not mutually exclusive.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:05 PM   #20
War Child

Local Time: 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonosgirl84

not everyone.

i dislike everybody hurts probably more than any other song that has ever been recorded by anyone. it's the only song on the album that i skip. it's maudlin, and trite, and i completely hate it. in fact, every time i see them live, i use that song as an opportunity to go get more beer.

this is a really interesting thread, though.
I totally agree with this. Maudlin is a great way of putting it. "Everybody Hurts" captures sadness as poorly as "Hey Jude" does. Both songs are well executed pieces of strong songwriting, but their vision of their content is dreadful. Both songs also finish with the hope reigns supreme moment. Both songs fail to properly carry the moment. In REM's case, they don't have the power to pull off that stuff properly. In the Beatles case, they resort to the 'hum factor'. In other words, the ending of "Hey Jude" overrelies on tunefulness.

As for what's gone wrong with REM. It's simple. Michael Stipe has become a man. Monster was his coming out record. He's become much more outspoken and comfortable in his own skin, post-Automatic. This in and of itself is not the problem. The problem arises because I think his evolution as a man is in contrast with the other members' evolution to manhood. Simply put, REM are not the united force they once were. This can definately be felt in their material. Stipe writes songs from a vantage point that I'm not always sure Buck and Mills can relate with to the same degree as happened when they were younger. Hi-Fi is the exception because it was put together mainly on the road when all members of the band were on the same wavelength. This theory shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. Many bands have devolved as its members have evolved into more unique individuals. This is precisely what has happened to REM. To their credit, they fight on together against these forces. This says alot about their friendship. Many another band would've called it quits when dealing with this kind of joint creative malaise.

As for the silly comments regarding U2 pushing some sort of panic button, I'll do you all a favor and not go there. All I'm going to say is that Pop was a max'd out record in thematic terms. A mole can only dig so far into a hole before it either suffocates or comes back up for some sustenance.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:06 PM   #21
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:08 AM
No one wants your used copy of Monster probably because every used CD shop in the world had about a bazillion copies of it, and couldn't get rid of them all.

As much as I loathe Everybody Hurts, the video was quite lovely.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:07 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:08 PM
Quote:
i dislike everybody hurts probably more than any other song that has ever been recorded by anyone. it's the only song on the album that i skip. it's maudlin, and trite, and i completely hate it. in fact, every time i see them live, i use that song as an opportunity to go get more beer.
I agree with you entirely.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:10 PM   #23
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
No one wants your used copy of Monster probably because every used CD shop in the world had about a bazillion copies of it, and couldn't get rid of them all.

I wonder why...my copy is in pristine condition...only played a few times.

Old 08-27-2005, 02:14 PM   #24
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

All that really means is that it isn't popular. Good and popular are not mutually exclusive.
see below post.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:15 PM   #25
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

True. But why isn't it popular?

You can buy it used for $.01 on Amazon.
No joke.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:22 PM   #26
Blue Crack Distributor

Maybe it means it was really popular (because loads of people bought it), but it didn't have staying power (because everyone later got rid of it).

I loved it when it came out, but now it's near the bottom of the list of Corianderstem's Favorite REM Albums.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:16 PM   #27
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

not everyone.

this is a really interesting thread, though.
I skipped school to go to the video shoot. They filmed it in San Antonio on a stretch of highway that hadn't been opened yet, I of course was left on the cutting floor(so goes life) but that song still has a place in my heart because of that. It is very trite but sometimes Stipe can actually pull that off, I can't explain it. The only REM song I will refuse to listen to is Shiny Happy People I seriously get physically sick.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:11 PM   #28
Neon Zebra

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
that song still has a place in my heart because of that
ok, fine, but beer...

Old 08-27-2005, 06:59 PM   #29
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

ok, fine, but beer...

Well if you were there we'd go grab a beer during that song, it doesn't have that big of a place in my heart.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:46 PM   #30
Neon Zebra

we'll compromise

i'll go get the beer and you can tell me how good the song was