Money problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pax

ONE love, blood, life
I'm running into a problem paying for my last year of school. Without getting into dirty details, I'm roughly a thousand bucks short to pay my tuition, which is due in less than a month. I can't ask my parents for the money because they're already footing the bill for some surgery I need (which is next week). I have almost all of the money in a savings account (and within a week could scrape together the rest of it), but I need to have some cash free because I am getting a car soon and at the *very least* need money for an inspection, registration, and an initial payment on insurance. I'm too late to apply for a Stafford or a Perkins loan (I think), and I'm in the hole about $1400 on credit cards.

The good news:
--I have good credit (I just checked my credit reports a few weeks ago)
--I'm still working, so I have *some* money coming in
--I'll be employed 25-30 hours a week once school starts again

So here's what I'm thinking are my options:

1.) Bite the bullet, pay school with cash, and be totally broke but totally in the clear.
2.) Split the payment somehow between cash and credit card.
3.) Take out a personal loan from my bank.

Any good financial people around here who can recommend a path of action?

If you can't get a student loan (rates are good now), I would go forward on a cash basis to the best of your ability. Keep your debts to a minimum.

If you can hold off on getting the car even by just a week or so, I'd advise you to pay in cash. Or perhaps speak to your school accounting office and see if they would consider working with you in your situation. I know that my school was willing to let me pay off my bill in installments that were manageable when I couldn't afford the payments on time. They charged me some interest, but it was cheaper and less of a hassle than taking out a loan.

Back
Top Bottom