mom's just jealous it's the beastie boys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
The first opening act was a Dog Show from Vegas....seriously. It was like watching the Super Dogs at the PNE all over again. It was unique and charming to watch a dog show at a rap concert. Thankfully it was kept short and sweet preventing the novelty from becoming a cheesy annoyance.

The second openers were "Talib Kweli". I appreciated the free styling antics but after a while the cliched topics bored me. They sampled "Can't Stop Til You Get Enough" by Michael Jackson which won me, as well as most of the crowd over for 3 minutes than it was back to redundant annoyance.

Beastie Boys hit the stage at 9:15 PM and played for approx 90 minutes. Their stage setting was minimal with a few lights, 1 mixing table for Mix Master Mike (no other props), Two large screens and a lot of floor space for the Beasties to run around. The Beastie Boys are one of those acts who can get away with a stage setting consisting of barely anything 'cause their energy and delivery stand out, they're the show. Not only did they have stage presence but they had a tight flow amongst themselves.

They interacted with their audience a lot. It was like chilling with your friends after school. They had a lot of small talk with their audience and even ran out into the crowd and into the stands for a few songs. It was easy to forgot at times that the Beasties were playing for a sold out GM Place crowd and not to a house party in Brooklyn.

Before the show, a videographer approached fans outside the Coliseum and asked them what Beastie Boys song they wanted to hear. The montage of the fan footage was later shown 2/3 into the show.

During half time the band appeared on a mini stage which consisted of patel orange and red patio lights. It looked like a cheesy wedding band setting with a little bit of the Love Boat mixed in. They performed (with other session musicians) a nice four song instrumental mini set which consisted of a mix of light hip hop and Zomba.

The set list was awesome. For those in the audience who were looking to hear familiar mixes of the Beastie's top 40 hits may have been disappointed. Mix Master Mike kicked it a few notches by doing a lot of remixes to new and classic Beastie Boys songs.

3 guys from Brooklyn made a lot of noise in Vancouver.

Word.

HelloAngel said:
Thanks for this! I'm seeing the Beasties next month!

I'm glad that my review has helped and has gotten you excited for the show :) Don't forget to post here what you thought of the show or PM me after as I would like to know your opinion.

Back
Top Bottom