Moments that scared you as a child (or an adult!). - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-09-2005, 01:19 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict
 
RedRocksU2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Murrieta, CA.
Posts: 26,437
Local Time: 02:43 PM
Watching the face of Linda Blair in the Exorcist.......I still can't watch that movie alone......no way ,man!
__________________

__________________
RedRocksU2 is offline  
Old 05-09-2005, 01:20 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,272
Local Time: 03:43 PM
Re: Moments that scared you as a child (or an adult!).

Quote:
Originally posted by PopMartian33107
My first instance of being terrified of tv came from those dreaded, horrifying "public service annuncements". You know, the ones where they show the girls looking really cute, having a party...then at the end they said what day they died due to a drunk driver.
Oh, my god...YES! I was wondering if I was the only one who got freaked out by those things as a kid. Anytime there was a commercial that had that little Ad Council symbol in the bottom corner, that always freaked me out. They always had such scary music and images and stuff in them. I remember seeing one one time when I was really little that was talking about stopping child abuse, and the letters "Help stop a different kind of child abuse" were flashing across the screen in big letters, and that really bothered me. I'm getting chills just thinking about it.

I also remember seeing another abuse commercial in which it was from a dog's perspective, and you saw this guy right up in its face beating it about and having this really scary, angry look on his face while doing it. I only saw it once, though-due to its disturbing nature, I imagine it didn't get a lot of screen time.

And I remember seeing commercials for dyslexia in which there were letters that dyslexics would mix up in front of a spiraling background, and there was this eerie, almost warped-circus-sounding voiceover being all like, "Do you know what I am? Am I a 'p' or a 'q'?" or something like that, and that voiceover was just really creepy.

The drunk driving ones have always creeped me out, too. Yeah. I definitely know what you're getting at with the public service announcments, believe me. Some of them still creep me out to this day.

As for other things...I agree with the mention of the wicked witch from "The Wizard Of Oz". And when I was little, I wasn't one of those kids who was terrified of monsters under the bed or in the closet. No, my fear was of our bathroom hamper. I was always terrified that some of the freaky images from those public service commercials would come out after me, or freaky things from other shows, like "Are You Afraid Of The Dark?", would come out after me. That show...I loved that show as a kid, but yeowza, were there some really creepy moments on that show. I remember being particularly frightened of this ghostly witch figure that slowly moved down a hallway. Ever since that episode, and the hamper being right near the hallway in my old house, and all that sort of thing, dark, empty hallways have always bothered me. Matter of fact, I'm sitting here right now glancing over my shoulder at our darkened hallway, just making sure that I'm the only one up and about.

I'm also with bono_man2002 on horror movies and ghost shows and stuff like that. Those things always make me paranoid for a good number of days afterward (like with the movie "Halloween" a couple of years ago-I see it Halloween night, and the next day, I'm coming home from school, and there's this row of trees in our backyard, and I was like, "If I see Michael Myers peer out from behind one of those things, I'm running..."). And yet, I love watching them, and sometimes think that it'd be kinda fun to be a ghost hunter.

Cemetaries, morgues, and funeral homes have also always creeped me out. Seriously, you couldn't pay me to spend even an hour in any of those three places alone. Ugh.

Okay, this post is getting long-winded, so I'll end here for now. But I'm just really happy to find that I'm not the only one who gets creeped out by public service announcements .

Angela
__________________

__________________
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 05-09-2005, 01:23 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,272
Local Time: 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by RedrocksU2
Watching the face of Linda Blair in the Exorcist.......I still can't watch that movie alone......no way ,man!
*Nods* You know the part where she's rising from the bed, and it shows her from the front, and her eyes are all glowing and all that? I do believe that is possibly one of the most frightening screen moments I've ever seen.

Also, speaking of movie moments-that girl from "The Ring" who climbs out of that well...yeah, I reeeeeeeeeaaaaaallllly don't like that.

Angela
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 05-09-2005, 01:27 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict
 
RedRocksU2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Murrieta, CA.
Posts: 26,437
Local Time: 02:43 PM
Funny things is that my 3 year old daughter looks like the girl coming out of the well when she wakes up!
__________________
RedRocksU2 is offline  
Old 05-09-2005, 03:00 AM   #20
War Child
 
myusernamehere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The question is; where are you?
Posts: 768
Local Time: 04:43 PM
__________________
myusernamehere is offline  
Old 05-09-2005, 03:50 AM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier
 
IWasBored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 36,505
Local Time: 05:43 PM
david bowie scared the hell out of me in labyrinth, i saw it when i was 8. i still won't listen to bowie or go near that movie. i made sure i wasn't home when my brother rented it a couple years ago.
__________________
IWasBored is offline  
Old 05-09-2005, 05:17 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,998
Local Time: 04:43 PM
When I was little I was scared when I went to have my picture taken w/ Santa. I look traumatized in the picture.

I was terrified of Silence Of The Lambs, Psycho,...this old movie, I think it's called something like "He Knows You're Alone" -this girl is getting these phone calls and it turns out the guy is inside the house. I had this very scary dream about Bono a few years back too, he was chasing me w/ a meat cleaver
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is online now  
Old 05-09-2005, 05:28 AM   #23
Jesus Online
 
Angela Harlem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: a glass castle
Posts: 30,163
Local Time: 08:43 AM
Which Nightmare On Elm Street movie had the girl drowning in her own waterbed? I dont really remember many of them, just certain scenes, and that was one of the worst. She was trapped in it and couldn't get out, but the top was see-through. Waterbeds scare me now. I dont like them.

We had the grim reaper in a few of our tv ads back in the 80s before the govt banned the really graphic ones. One which had immense public outcry was a girl lighting a cigarette but a fish hook came out the butt and she obliviously put it to her lips and the uncut version showed her mouth getting graphically and literally hooked by the fishing hook. It was horrible and lucky me saw it before it was banned. I still think of it.
__________________
<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/angelaharlem/thPaul_Roos28.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aul_Roos28.jpg</a>
Angela Harlem is offline  
Old 05-09-2005, 07:35 AM   #24
Acrobat
 
PopMartian33107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 332
Local Time: 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Which Nightmare On Elm Street movie had the girl drowning in her own waterbed? I dont really remember many of them, just certain scenes, and that was one of the worst. She was trapped in it and couldn't get out, but the top was see-through. Waterbeds scare me now. I dont like them.
That was part one, and yes, very surreal, very scary. I still won't go near part 5 wth a ten-foot pole, though...just the memories of Greta's nightmare still haunts me, her cheeks bursting of food and intestines...it was meant to look scary, but I just felt incredibly sorry for her.

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem

We had the grim reaper in a few of our tv ads back in the 80s before the govt banned the really graphic ones. One which had immense public outcry was a girl lighting a cigarette but a fish hook came out the butt and she obliviously put it to her lips and the uncut version showed her mouth getting graphically and literally hooked by the fishing hook. It was horrible and lucky me saw it before it was banned. I still think of it.
Ouch, literaly. That probably would have scraed the crap out of me as a young child, too! Drug Ad commercials really ARE the worst, in my opinion...
__________________
PopMartian33107 is offline  
Old 05-09-2005, 07:43 AM   #25
Acrobat
 
PopMartian33107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 332
Local Time: 09:43 PM
Re: Re: Moments that scared you as a child (or an adult!).

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel


Oh, my god...YES! I was wondering if I was the only one who got freaked out by those things as a kid. Anytime there was a commercial that had that little Ad Council symbol in the bottom corner, that always freaked me out. They always had such scary music and images and stuff in them. I remember seeing one one time when I was really little that was talking about stopping child abuse, and the letters "Help stop a different kind of child abuse" were flashing across the screen in big letters, and that really bothered me. I'm getting chills just thinking about it.

I also remember seeing another abuse commercial in which it was from a dog's perspective, and you saw this guy right up in its face beating it about and having this really scary, angry look on his face while doing it. I only saw it once, though-due to its disturbing nature, I imagine it didn't get a lot of screen time.

And I remember seeing commercials for dyslexia in which there were letters that dyslexics would mix up in front of a spiraling background, and there was this eerie, almost warped-circus-sounding voiceover being all like, "Do you know what I am? Am I a 'p' or a 'q'?" or something like that, and that voiceover was just really creepy.

The drunk driving ones have always creeped me out, too. Yeah. I definitely know what you're getting at with the public service announcments, believe me. Some of them still creep me out to this day.

Thanks a bunch, I think I remember some of those public servce announcements now. I'll be having bad dreams for nights, thnk you!

The scariest public service ad I ever saw as a kid involved a robotic, snake-like man...you couldn't see his face real well, only the trench coat he was wearing. Anyway, he was haunting and asking this little boy questions in an elemantary school. The boy was holding a basketball, ready to go play recess. The man would say, "Hey, kid! Smoke me.", and you'd see puffs of smoke arise from his trench coat. Then he'd say "Hey kid! Drink me." The boy lurched back in fear, but the final seconds of the ad showed the basketball go rolling down the dimly lit school hallways, as if the boy had suddenly died.

I tell you what, as much of a man as I am, I STILL have bad dreams abut that one!

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

Okay, this post is getting long-winded, so I'll end here for now. But I'm just really happy to find that I'm not the only one who gets creeped out by public service announcements .

Angela
Awww, how sweet. I'm happy I'm not the only one terrified of them, too!
__________________
PopMartian33107 is offline  
Old 05-09-2005, 08:09 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict
 
Laura M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 18,932
Local Time: 10:43 PM
Now I'm remembering movies that terrified me. I'm a huge Roald Dahl fan and I really loved the Witches so my Dad got us the video. He told my Mum it was child friendly so she let us watch it one afternoon while she was tidying the house. About an hour later she came to check on us and we were all hiding behind the sofa crying. To this day I've never been able to watch the movie again.

I would also not watch all of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang because of the child catcher. My sister was a really huge fan of musicals and she used to watch that every single day for months. My Mum said she always came in from work at the same time (where the childcatcher is enticing the children into his childcatching contraption) and my brother and sister would be copying everything he said and apparently I used to sit with my fingers in my ears and my back to the wall.

My Dad is one of these people who buys his children movies because he wants to see them. For Christmas when I was about 7 or 8 he bought me Edward Scissorhands. It terrified me. About 2 years ago he bought me it on DVD for Christmas thinking I somehow really enjoyed it the first time around, I let him keep it.
__________________
Laura M is offline  
Old 05-09-2005, 08:40 AM   #27
BAW
The Flower
 
BAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: The OC....!!!!
Posts: 11,094
Local Time: 01:43 PM
Uncovered or open windows after dark scared the living hell out of me a child all the way into my teenage years and I'm still a bit freaked out by them. I think it started after I had an extremely vivid nightmare when I was 4 years old, where I saw a robot looking into my bedroom window. No amount of reasoning or logic (it was a second story window) could convince me that there was no robot with blinky lights looking in at me.

From there it progressed into a fear of the Goodyear blimp (again the blinky lights in the night sky) and UFOs, which I started seeing on a regular basis of course.

I almost went completely over the bend after I saw the Amittyville Horror and it featured the ghost of a stupid little pig whose presence was made known by his two red glowing eyes looking into or out of windows of the house

Needless to say, if my bedroom curtains were open just a crack, I buried my head under the covers and refused to look. Even as a teenager, I would get scared sitting in a room with open curtains or blinds after dark and there was no way I was going to use the bathroom at night because my mom insisted that the window over the shower stay open. I would rather have let my bladder burst!

Other things I was terrified of but to a lesser degree:

the flying monkeys from the Wizard of Oz

fire

kidnappers
__________________
BAW is offline  
Old 05-09-2005, 10:39 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,272
Local Time: 03:43 PM
Re: Re: Re: Moments that scared you as a child (or an adult!).

Quote:
Originally posted by PopMartian33107
Thanks a bunch, I think I remember some of those public servce announcements now. I'll be having bad dreams for nights, thnk you!
LOL, aw, I'm sorry.

Quote:
Originally posted by PopMartian33107
The scariest public service ad I ever saw as a kid involved a robotic, snake-like man...you couldn't see his face real well, only the trench coat he was wearing. Anyway, he was haunting and asking this little boy questions in an elemantary school. The boy was holding a basketball, ready to go play recess. The man would say, "Hey, kid! Smoke me.", and you'd see puffs of smoke arise from his trench coat. Then he'd say "Hey kid! Drink me." The boy lurched back in fear, but the final seconds of the ad showed the basketball go rolling down the dimly lit school hallways, as if the boy had suddenly died.

I tell you what, as much of a man as I am, I STILL have bad dreams abut that one!
Yeesh...I don't blame you. That one sounds freaky.

Quote:
Originally posted by PopMartian33107
Awww, how sweet. I'm happy I'm not the only one terrified of them, too!
.

Also, in regards to the mention of "Psycho"...people, please tell me that I'm not the only one who still peeks out from behind the shower curtain from time to time.

I also remember that that "Tales From The Crypt" guy was a bit weird to me as a kid-I have a memory of watching an episode of that show once really late at night and seeing a guy's eyes get taken out by a bird. My poor sister-she saw that guy once when she was a kid, and she started screaming and crying.

Ooh! Also, according to my parents, there was a David Lee Roth album that we had around the house when I was a really little kid that apparently scared me-David's picture was on the front and he had a lot of face paint stuff on, and whenever I'd see it, I'd run screaming from the room and run to wherever my mom was.

My fear of spiders has been around since I was little, too-the earliest memory I have of being scared by a spider was on my 6th birthday-I was sitting on the kitchen floor with one of my gifts, and I looked off to my right and saw a black spider quickly crawling across the floor, and I jumped up and ran out of the room and told my mom to go kill it, which she did. Ever since then, I've hated spiders. Creepiest little things ever.

Angela
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 05-09-2005, 10:47 AM   #29
BAW
The Flower
 
BAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: The OC....!!!!
Posts: 11,094
Local Time: 01:43 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Moments that scared you as a child (or an adult!).

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel




Ooh! Also, according to my parents, there was a David Lee Roth album that we had around the house when I was a really little kid that apparently scared me-David's picture was on the front and he had a lot of face paint stuff on, and whenever I'd see it, I'd run screaming from the room and run to wherever my mom was.



That is hilarious!

When my youngest son was small, his older brothers knew he was terrified of Freddy Krueger and they would chase him with the covers from Nightmare on Elm Street videos to make him cry. One of them would even trick him into going into the horror section at Blockbuster after he had put all of the Freddy Krueger movies at eye level so he would scream bloody murder! I would be in the new releases and hear this high pitched little "aaaahhhhhhh, STOP IT!!!" and just shake my head.

And my middle son was terrified of Alf! Every time the theme music would come on, he would start to cry and run out of the room
__________________
BAW is offline  
Old 05-09-2005, 11:07 AM   #30
New Yorker
 
AvsGirl41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 2,948
Local Time: 02:43 PM
Poltergeist scared the crap out of me. It still does.

I also remember that Stephen King movie, "Cat's Eyes" where the little troll comes to steal Drew Barrymore's breath. Oh man. I kept seeing it appear in the corner of my room!! (I thought I had made it up, and then happened to see it one night on cable which was a relief.) And I believe I saw Cat's Eyes around the same time as "Critters" so basically I was seeing evil furry things everywhere.

I asked my mom once why, when we were little, they rented/watched so many horror movies. And she didn't know! Thanks, Mom and Dad!

Connected to all those great horror movie memories was this video store we used to go to--it was within walking distance of our house and wasn't a great area. We used to walk there and the owners had a popcorn machine and would give us little bags of popcorn. I remember being absolutely terrified of that video store, because there was a movie poster with this skull on it that scared me--but I never said anything to my parents. I didn't want to give up the popcorn.
__________________

__________________
AvsGirl41 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com