Modest Mouse - The Moon & Antartica

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2popmofo

Blue Meth Addict
In honor of Basstrap purchasing Modest Mouse's album 'The Moon and Antartica' I decided to make this thread.

This is a GREAT album in my opinion, and a bizillion reviewers opinions. It came out in 2000, and was Modest Mouse's first major label release. This album was all over tons of magazines "Best of 2000" lists. Anyways, I'd like to let you all know that you most likely wont be disappointed by purchasing this kiester kicking album.

I really dont know how to describe the album, Experimental Rock I suppose. Pretty freakin cool.

Recommended Tracks:

3rd Planet *
Gravity Rides Everything *
Wild Pack of Family Dogs *
Paper Thin Walls *
Tiny Cities Made of Ashes
I Came As A Rat
Life Like Weeds

* = HIGHLY Recommended
(pretty much everything else is great, check the album out!!!)

Last edited:
Yes Yertle, I dont think you'll be disappointed. That album is good stuff.

I've listened to it 3 times through already!

the melodies are great!
"this is how - the world - began
and this is how - the world - will end"

The lyrics are very insightful and philosophical
The only thing that makes me uncomfortable are the atheistic undertones...nay...overtones!
like saying god dies too, it just takes a longer time
though I do think he makes a distinction between god or gods and the Lord...which he mentions a couple times in existence- related scenarios such as "the Lord called me up..." and so forth - no doubt mockingly, but all the same.

he also likens what may be Jehovahs Witness or even Christians to a pack of wild dogs; most likely the former. They came and "ate" or converted his sister and then went to heaven to be rewarded. Even if he is referring to Christians here, I can see where he is coming from. Over-agressiveness is unfortunately a trait of many.

as you can see...the lyrics alone are thought-provoking and controversial.

the music is another whole story...and warrants purchase alone.
Beats are always chaging, songs take unforseen directions.
I like how in I Came as A Rat the mood TOTALLY changes when the chorus comes in
"I came as ice
I came as a whore"

Modest Mouse is from Washington State, where I live. I believe they all grew up in Issaquah, which is just across the lake from Seattle. They've been popular here for a long time but like other local bands such as Sleater-Kinney, have only become more widely known in the last couple of years. Last I heard, Isaac Brock lives in rural Oregon now. A few years back he became very disillusioned with the local scene and left Seattle after there was a big scandal about him involving an alleged date rape. He denied the charges but local alternative weeklys like The Stranger dragged his name through the mud anyways. His disgust with the city and it's scene becomes apparent in the lyrics of the song Perfect Disguise off of The Moon and Antarctica:

Need me to fall down, so you can climb up
Some fool ass ladder, well good luck
I hope, I hope there's something better up there
Cuz you cocked your head to shoot me down, down
And I don't give a damn about you or this town no more
No cuz I know the score

Here is an interview with Isaac Brock from the Stranger from a couple years ago if you're interested.

Back
Top Bottom