MLP 2K5 Playoff edition - Page 31 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2005, 12:46 PM   #451
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:55 PM
don't both teams get to hit at the same wall? if anything, minute maid's quirky nature lends an advantage to the team that actually plays there every day vs. the team that's never played there at all.

meanwhile... comiskacellular field is as cookie cutter as they come.

it's like playing at fenway... those who play there often and are used to the wall have a clear advantage over those who've never played there at all.

Old 10-20-2005, 12:53 PM   #452
Blue Crack Addict

speaking of ballparks my eyes swelled upa bit leaving busch for the last time ever last night. stayed around for an hour and a half after the game was over and there was still a couple thousand fans left. for being a cookie cutter park it was beautiful, and it's sad to see it go.

white sox in 6. the cardinals lineup made the astros pitchers look better then they really are.

and i agree about the umps, its unbelievable how bad they have been this postseason.

Old 10-20-2005, 12:56 PM   #453
Blue Crack Distributor

it really did turn it's self into a very nice looking ballpark in it's final years... if only shea could do the same as it heads towards it's death march.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:04 PM   #454
Blue Crack Distributor

the new one looks pretty damn nice though...

Old 10-20-2005, 01:11 PM   #455
Blue Crack Distributor

can we start talking about roy oswalt as the best pitcher in baseball? i'm serious now...

two straight 20 win seasons... 19+ wins in 3 of the last 4 years, with the 4th year being one that was cut in half by injuries. 4-0 over the past two seasons in the post-season.

20 wins and an era under 3 this year for a playoff team, yet he's never once mentioned as a cy young candidate.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:12 PM   #456
Blue Crack Distributor

rotation for houston is likely to be clemens, pettite, oswalt, backe, clemens, pettite, oswalt.

that's tough right there... very very tough.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:16 PM   #457
Blue Crack Addict

yeah the new one is going to be nice, but it was a werid feeling being sad leaving Busch for the final time, then walking by the half built new ballpark.

though i almost feel like the "retro" stadium is the new "cookie cutter" stadium. everybody is buliding retro parks these days, i almost wish they had gone in a different, more unique, direction.

oswalt is good no doubt, but the cardinals have owned him in the past, that's why i was so surprised to see him shut us down. props to him though. i wouldn't mind seeing the astros win the world series, they are a classy organization (except for phil garner who is a douchebag), and it would be nice to see biggio and bagwell win a world series. hopefully clemens would retire for good then too.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:20 PM   #458
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
rotation for houston is likely to be clemens, pettite, oswalt, backe, clemens, pettite, oswalt.

that's tough right there... very very tough.
i think clemens gets beat twice, he is not the same pitcher he was earlier in the season. hell atlanta lit him up for 5 runs.

the white sox will also beat backe and pettite once to win it in 6.

i think the white sox lineup is a good fit against the astros. you can't string a bunch of hits against this pitching staff, you need to get someone on and then hope for a home run. while the white sox dont have a big home run hitter, they have 6 or guys with 20+ homeruns, so any one of them can send it out at anytime. so i think thay will be key.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:04 PM   #459
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:55 PM
The Sock have 200 home runs this year.

And Sox park is actually a very fan friendly place. Even my cub fan friends like watching games there.

One of my students offered to sell me the tickets he got from his uncle, who works for the sock. We'll see if that pans out.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:07 PM   #460
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways
The Sock have 200 home runs this year.

And Sox park is actually a very fan friendly place. Even my cub fan friends like watching games there.

One of my students offered to sell me the tickets he got from his uncle, who works for the sock. We'll see if that pans out.
fan friendly it may be, the fans don't play. there's nothing unique that takes getting used to about whatever the heck they're calling it these days.

you can't say the same about minute maid. there's a lot of strange quirks about it... from the short left field porch, to the pilars in left field, to the hill in centerfield, to that little overhang in left centerfield.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:13 PM   #461
ONE
love, blood, life

Not only has Oswalt been spectacular in the past few seasons, he also plays in a homer friendly park (except for the cavernous CF)

My prediction: White Sox in 7. Both pitching staffs are real solid w/ slight edge going to Houston, however, I think over a long series, the Sox have a much more diverse line up and can score runs in a more variety of ways than houston.

I sure do miss the Big Hurt, he's played a long time to get to the WS and won't even play. He was a MONSTER.

But the game isn't played on paper (or on interference for that matter)...we shall see.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:15 PM   #462
ONE
love, blood, life

Knicks in 8.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:17 PM   #463
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

you can't say the same about minute maid. there's a lot of strange quirks about it... from the short left field porch, to the pilars in left field, to the hill in centerfield, to that little overhang in left centerfield.
Why do ballparks need a gimmick? That hill in center field just might be the stupidest addition to a ballpark ever.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:27 PM   #464
Blue Crack Addict

if Houston wins the World Series that will be 4 Wild Card teams in a row, would that be enough for MLB to try to disadvantage the Wild Card team more, or do you think they don't care?

In football, if the Wild Card team wins the Superbowl they really have to earn it. In baseball, the wild card team almost has an advantage. They have to be playing hot baseball in order to make it into the playoffs, and then I almost think the 2-3-2 format favors the team without homefield advantage. There should never be a point in the series where the team that is supposed to be disadvantaged has the advantage, but after 5 games the team without homefield has had 3 games at home and 2 on the road. After 6 it's even, and only if the game goes 7 does the team that is supposed to have homefield advantage realize it. I think a 2-2-1-1-1 format is the most fair, though that causes travel problems, then id rather see a 3-3-1 format. thoughts?
Old 10-20-2005, 02:30 PM   #465
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways

Why do ballparks need a gimmick? That hill in center field just might be the stupidest addition to a ballpark ever.
the "gimmicks" make the stadium unique... as opposed to the cookie cutter stadiums that populated baseball through the 70s and 80s.

most of the "gimmicks" used at minute maid are based on old time baseball stadiums.

the hill in centerfield was a "tribute" to the hill that was located in crosley field, cincinatti...

the flag pole in play is remenicisent of the old yankee stadium and tiger stadium.