MLP 2K5 Playoff edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
zoney! said:
I thought bob costas was from St. Louis

he started his career in st. louis, so many people assume he's from that area... he's actually from long island.

my boss was a bio teacher @ commack high school when bob was there and had him in class... he says he was an arrogent little shit. :shrug:

i was mistaken about the rosie thing... rosie graduated a few years later.

still don't like 'em.

Last edited:
so what if the bob costas thing is from 203, the wild card is still the same. i suggest you all read

747f.jpg

good stuff

and costas isnt from st louis but he has lived here for a long time

Astros, White Sox Deserve This
By Jim Caple
ESPN.com, Page 2

The crucial difference between fans of the Red Sox and Cubs and those of the White Sox and Astros is that the latter had the decency to keep their suffering to themselves.

The White Sox have gone longer than the Red Sox went without a world championship, but did Stephen King write about their angst? Did Jimmy Fallon make a movie about their pain? Did their fans whine about some ridiculous curse? No. In fact, if you so much as bring up any nonsense about a curse, the White Sox will set you straight.

"We didn't have a curse to deal with," White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf said. "We just had failure to deal with."

The Cubs haven't been to a World Series since 1945 and haven't won one since 1908, but really, how much worse was that than what Houston fans endured? Until this week, the Astros had never been to the World Series in their 44-season history, or longer than most of their fans have been alive. They suffered five flatlining postseason losses so painful they would make even Ernie Banks say, "I don't want to play today." But did Houston fans burden the rest of the world by constantly bitching about their pain? Did they blame any of their losses on a fan loyally rooting for them along the left-field line? Of course not. They considered themselves fortunate if people simply acknowledged their existence.

The Astros and the White Sox. These are two sets of fans who have suffered even more than viewers who sat through the entire Red Sox makeover episode of "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy."

You want pain? Before this week, the White Sox were primarily known for three things: Throwing the 1919 World Series, Disco Demolition Night and the father-son tandem who beat up the Royals' first base coach. The most famous player in their history was permanently banned from baseball. They've played in one World Series in the past 86 years. They threatened to move to Tampa Bay. And they not only wore those god-awful pajama tops, they wore shorts one day in 1976. Talk about winning ugly.

You want misery? The Astros gave the game AstroTurf, indoor baseball and those infamous rainbow jerseys that would one day serve as the basis for the Department of Homeland Security's color code. The nation's terror threat level is at Jose Cruz home jersey. Even when they moved out of the Astrodome, they moved into a stadium named for Enron with a plaza named for Halliburton. Nolan Ryan left them as a free agent. J.R. Richard suffered a stroke and ended up on the streets. Don Wilson committed suicide.

Worst of all, the team appeared in "The Bad News Bears in Breaking Training," inspiring perhaps the single most ridiculous scene in a baseball film that does not include Fallon. The one at the Astrodome where Tanner Boyle pulls a Lou Piniella act on the field and Bob Watson and the fans chant, "Let them play! Let them play!"

Which is at least one good thing the White Sox had going for them. They inspired two of the best baseball movies ever made, "Eight Men Out" and "Field of Dreams."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=caple/051021

Chizip said:

i think clemens gets beat twice, he is not the same pitcher he was earlier in the season. hell atlanta lit him up for 5 runs.

the white sox will also beat backe and pettite once to win it in 6.

i think the white sox lineup is a good fit against the astros. you can't string a bunch of hits against this pitching staff, you need to get someone on and then hope for a home run. while the white sox dont have a big home run hitter, they have 6 or guys with 20+ homeruns, so any one of them can send it out at anytime. so i think thay will be key.

so far so good on my prediction

nice to see the umpire BLOWING another call at a crucial part of the game...might even cost the Astros the series. Series is tainted from now on...they need instant replay for plays like that when the umps view is blocked & the resulting call is questionable. Better to get it right than cost one team the series.

Back
Top Bottom