MLP 2K5 Playoff edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the cardinals can, and probably should, win these next two games. with carp going tonight, and mulder home in stl, they are both very winnable games. it's the 7th game i have feared ever since they lost that second game. but right now, id be delighted to get to that 7th game.

the cardinals just need walker and sanders to suck it up and play through their injuries, and edmonds and grudzelanek to get their heads out of their asses and produce. the offense has been horiffic, if you cant get more than 2 hits off backe in a game you have to win, then you dont deserve to get to the world series.

it will be interesting to see how they react after last nights debacle. i think they'll probably lose tonight, as everything that could have gone wrong this series has, and it just feels like it wasnt meant to be this year.

could be an ugly night for st louis with both the rams and cardinals in line for embarrassing lossses on national tv tonight.

Hewson said:
I think a heavy dose of Stephen Jackson gets the job done.
i think Jackson is severly overrated. He is not fast but thinks he is, so he tries to bounce everything outside and gets swallowed up, when what he really needs to do is just burst through the hole. it may be the offensive lines fault, but i have been underwhelmed with him. he is only averaging 3.9 yard per attempt while faulk is averaging 6.2 behind the same line.

people blame mart for not running enough, but when he tries to run jackson isn't getting it done. maybe martz needs to stick with it longer, but its hard when you fall behind by so much so early, like we have all year.

our defense, and especially our secondary is terrible, i think peyton is going to light it up. i see a 42-24 type game.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
with all your constant put downs and underestimations of the colts, you're begining to sound like a yankees fan pre 2004
Have I yet to underestimate them?
After tonight if they pound the Rams, you can say I have, otherwise I've been pretty much on them, including predicting their playoff demise the past 2 seasons here in Bradyville. I think they are benefitting from an incredibly easy early season schedule, and will end up looking a little more like the rest of the pack when they play some real compettition.

phanan said:
Bill Polian must have done something behind the scenes for the Colts to get that kind of schedule.

not to turn this into a football thread... but...

the colts have 10 non division games. 5 of them are against teams that were in the playoffs last year. 3 of those 5 games are on the road.

the patriots have 10 non division games. 5 of them are against teams that were in the playoffs last year. 3 of those 5 games are on the road.

and when the two teams play each other, the game is in new england... again.

when the schedules were made, on paper, the schedules are of equal strength. obviously some teams end up stinking that were good the year before, i.e. the jets, and some teams who stunk last year have become very good, i.e. the bengals.

The schedules will even out by year's end to some extent, but compare the season to date:
Colts opponents: Balt, SF, Cle, Tenn and Jax, with Rams tonight
Pats Opponents: Oak, Car, Pit, SD, Atl, Den

Thru 6 games the Pats will have played 4 2004 playoff teams, 3 on the road (including visits to both conference runners up), whereas the Colts will have played 1 playoff team, the Rams tonight. (an 8-8 playoff team at that)

So my argument is that the Colts fast start is a product of a soft early season schedule...by week 17 they'll have had some tests, but to date the 5 teams thay have played could pool their players and still not come up with a mediocre NFL offense, so lets see how they do tonight and beyond.

i dont know, i hope he is working on breaking up the double play today in pregame today

WOW!

That's why they play nine innings!!

Classic playoff baseball moment. Pujols showed something which you can't teach to athletes, how to be the man when you are the man.

Last edited:
phanan said:
Not because of one single play, though. It's this type of dramatic moment that carries a team and swings the momentum their way.

Like the Red Sox last year.

I dunno. I think when Tony Larussa got tossed from yesterday's game, some people were wondering if this was a sign that (a) this was his way of trying to fire his team up, the way many managers do, or (b) it was indicative of a loss of team focus and eventual meltdown. After Jim Edmonds got tossed for arguing balls and strikes, and after Pujols blundered into an out at home, people arrived at conclusion (b). (Columnists especially -- they're paid to say shocking and provocative things. They don't remain calm and measured, unless they're Peter Gammons.)

The Astros don't seem to me to be the type of team that's going to let one big home run crush them. They only need to take 1 out of 2 in St. Louis, and they have Oswalt v. Mulder and Clemens v. Morris. Not terrible odds.

Massive swings in psychological momentum are exciting when they happen, but I don't know that they happen as often as we think they do.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom