MLB Thread menage a trois: The Stretch Run

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hewson said:
If Lidle is still in the rotation, you probably win 3 more games. Think about that on Oct 2 if the Fightin' Phils are sittin home while David Wells and the Fattin' Padres are pounding the Mets at Shea having finished just 1 game ahead of the Cheesesteaks.
At least your owner saved some money.(for himself, I doubt he dropped ticket prices after the trade).

:lol: Lidle sucks. Moyer is just as good.

Numb1075 said:
yankee fans are dumb

they boo him even before he gets to the plate. then they boo him for popping out. then when he hits a homerun, they cheer him and demand a curtain call (which he obliged yesterday).

:tsk: :coocoo:

Come on, these are the same people who booed Mariano Rivera at the beginning of the 2005 season after he blew another couple saves against the Red Sox.

The Mets have been dismantling the NL pitchers all season long. I don't see why that would change against the Cards or Padres in the post season.

if the mets lose in the NL it will a choke job. the NL is awful. anything short of a trip to the world series would make this a disapointing season.

i know, when ya've been as bad as the mets have been you shouldn't be that greedy. but as a realist, they're significantly better than the other national league playoff teams. they aren't significantly better than the american league playoff teams, if better at all. but they are better than the NL. by a lot.

i'm not saying it would be impossible for the mets to lose before the world series. as we've always seen, anything's possible. but a loss in the NLDS or NLCS would make this season a failure. period.

Last edited:
I agree Headache.

Just going by stats and if Chicago White Sox make the playoffs and if the season ended today, my vote for AL MVP is Jermaine Dye.

Well if handicapping, The Mets are clearly the favorites to win the NL.
But Pedro and Glavine are question marks. If either or both are unable to pitch in Rocktober or ineffectice due to injury, that brings the Mets back to the pack.

Hewson said:
Well if handicapping, The Mets are clearly the favorites to win the NL.
But Pedro and Glavine are question marks. If either or both are unable to pitch in Rocktober or ineffectice due to injury, that brings the Mets back to the pack.

They've been doing just fine without Pedro/Glavine

I think they've won 10 of 12 or something.

go phillies

The Phillies have been playing well lately, with Utley and Delucci, and the bullpen not showing up.

They have a fighting chance on every given day because they're so inconsistent. If they make it ... well, just watch out.

Numb1075 said:
it all comes down to pitching......and the phillies are lacking.

but you do have a cool mascot though.

Lacking consistency from our starters. If our starters go deep in a game we have a chance.

And when we get Flash back it will be a little better too.

Wow, saw the doubleheader for the Phils today which proved that their bullpen is the absolute worst in the league, their manager is the worst in the league, and that Ryan Howard MUST win the MVP. He now cannot lose. No player matters more to their team's success.

Yes he can lose, if the team doesn't make the playoffs.

EX: Mike Piazza 1997: .362 40 124

It's the most valuable player award, his value wouldnt be as great because the team could not make the playoffs without him. Now if there was a player of the year award, Its his, because he is just a beast. So If they make the playoffs, yea, its a no brainer.

Numb. You see that catch Beltran made to SAVE the game on Saturday? Man he put himself on the line for the team big time (even though the game was meaningless) WOWZERS!!

a-rod won the mvp (horrible decision) with a horrible team, so howard's situation makes much more sense than his. why not?

the only players of value other than him are utley, rollins, victorino, myers, and hamels. that's it

btw, at the first game sunday a fan ran out on the field at howard's fourth at bat and BOWED to him. we philly fans are too good

because when AROD won nobody had comparable numbers.

howard has great numbers, but so do other guys. if he doesnt make the playoffs it will be a big knock against him.

arod hit .297 when he won it - im sure thats comparable to someone

(im a big proponent of batting average)

phillyfan26 said:
arod hit .297 when he won it - im sure thats comparable to someone

(im a big proponent of batting average)

batting average is one of the worst stats to judge a hitter

I did see the Beltran catch. It was sensastional given the game situation. When he limped off the field, I got really worried.

The Metropolitans are 9-8 when Beltran is out of the lineup.

There's a good candiadate for NL MVP.

I think the Mets being so far out in front will actually hurt Beltran's chances, cause there's no stretch run to focus on.
So I think its a 2 horse race with Pujols and Howard.
I say Howard gets it as long as the Phils stay in the race until the final weekend.
Otherwise Anuses gets it.

phillyfan26 said:
the only players of value other than him are utley, rollins, victorino, myers, and hamels. that's it

i don't think you're giving howard enough credit by saying that anyone on that roster other than utley and rollins are "players of value." i guess you could consider hamels "of value" based on his potential, but other than utley, rollins and howard.. that team blows.

shane victorino does not exactly strike fear into the hearts of opposing pitchers.

WTF happened to Hank Blalock and Mark Teixeira? Those guys used to be monsters......both are having real down years.

Back
Top Bottom