MLB Thread menage a trois: The Stretch Run

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hewson said:

Well Lester is now on the DL.
The DL currently includes 2 starters, Lester and Wakefield.
The cather Varitek, The right fielder, Nixon, The shortstop, Gonzalez.

Add to that Manny is at the very best day to day and Ortiz has flown back to Boston to have more heart tests and will not return to the lineup until given a clean bill of health, toast dosen't even begin to describe the situation.
Its even beyond "Powdered Toast Man".

Sadly Theo may be able to use injury as an excuse, but I still find tremendous fault with the front office from July forward.

The only chance the Sox have is if they could play every remaining game against the powerhouse Angels of Southern Canada, the only team they can still easily handle.

Hahaha, so bitter. Funny, the Red Sox are absolutely worthless without Manny and Ortiz. I mean, their starting pitching sucks ass, so all they've got is Manny and Ortiz. See ya next year. :lol: :wink:

The Phillies are still in it, despite having a pitching staff to rival my brothers 2004 Little League All-Star Team.

Chizip said:
he doesnt have a no trade clause, so does that really matter?

anyway, right now the red sox are asking for the moon, so i dont see the cards doing it unless they lower their price a lot.

Wells requested that the Sox not trade him to St. Louis, and they were said to be honoring that request.

It would be nice if the Dodgers flinch and give away one of their top prospects, but I don't see it happening, which means he's likely going to SD.

Although LA must be foaming at the mouth with the thought of having both Wells and Maddux for the playoffs...

pub crawler said:

Hahaha, so bitter. Funny, the Red Sox are absolutely worthless without Manny and Ortiz. I mean, their starting pitching sucks ass, so all they've got is Manny and Ortiz. See ya next year. :lol: :wink:
See you next year is right, cause the Angels have not been in contention since March. At leats the Sox were competetive through July.
The Sox are without a little more than Manny and Ortiz currently:
Manny
Ortiz
Varitek
Wakefield
Nixon
Wily Mo Pena
Lester
Clement
Gonzalez

Lets see how the Angels perform without Guerrero, Anderson, Cabrera, Salmon, Erstad, Napoli, Colon, Escobar and Santana.:wink:

Hewson said:
See you next year is right, cause the Angels have not been in contention since March. At leats the Sox were competetive through July.
Manny
Ortiz
Varitek
Wakefield
Nixon
Wily Mo Pena
Lester
Clement
Gonzalez

Lets see how the Angels perform without Guerrero, Anderson, Cabrera, Salmon, Erstad, Napoli, Colon, Escobar and Santana.:wink:

Yeah, seriously, how can the Angels possibly be 7.5 games behind a team that's batting .255?

phillyfan26 said:
The Phillies are still in it, despite having a pitching staff to rival my brothers 2004 Little League All-Star Team.

Can somebody please explain again to me why the Phillies gave away Lidle and Abreu?

They didn't wanto pay Abreu's remaining contract, so they had to throw Lidle in the mix to get the Yank$ to absorb his deal.

I'd be pretty pissed as a Philly fan, they gave up way too soon, and if they miss the WC by 3 games or less, I'd say that trade would be the difference for sure.

Hewson said:
Manny
Ortiz
Varitek
Wakefield
Nixon
Wily Mo Pena
Lester
Clement
Gonzalez

Beautiful. :lol:

The Abreu trade worked!

It was guys like Abreu and Lidle (Burrell and Lieber too) that made the team lazy and coasting through games. Pat Gillick nailed it by saying, with Abreu gone, Utley feels he can be a leader, and the attitude of the team now shows that.

I still don't think we'll make it. Ed Wade cursed this team. But Gillick knows exactly what he's doing, which gives me a good feeling.

If we'd given Burrell away (we had a deal that he declined because of his no trade clause - damn you Ed Wade) to Baltimore, it would've been a perfect deadline for us.

Now we have a right handed bat in Conine and a fifth starter in Moyer that won't hurt us financially.

Trade away Hamels, Myers, Utley, Howard, Rollins and Gordon for a dozen water bottles and you might have yourselves a World Series winner by that philosophy.

Howard just passed Schmidt for the Phillies single season record for homeruns w/ 49.

With a month to go.......

This is his first full MLB campaign.......

WOW:ohmy:

if the phillies make the playoffs, ryan howard is your MVP... he may be regardless (beltran/reyes/wright will split the vote, leaving just pujols and howard)

if you look at that lineup... after utley, rollins and howard... they're awful. their pitching sucks, howard is getting protected by the likes of david friggin delluci... and they're right there (all be it because the NL is awful, but still). there is no reason whatsoever to pitch to howard, and he's having an absoloute beastly season.

and with the colapse of the sawks, i'm afraid the AL MVP is gonna go to derek jeter.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:

and with the colapse of the sawks, i'm afraid the AL MVP is gonna go to derek jeter.
Ortiz' health scare and subsequent missed games won't help either. His only hope is the Sox go on a tear, he returns to the lineup and hits 8 more bombs, including 2 or 3 game winners and the Sox at least close the race to 3 games.
Not likley.
Jeter is a fairly worthy candidate, though 12HR's and 83 RBI are weak production. He needs to get to 100 RBI methinks.
If Giambi's Avg was higher than .260 he'd be viable.
Mauer has the same issue as Jeter, poor production though he's hitting .350.
Frankly I think if I had a vote right now I'd give it to Jermaine Dye just because the Red Sox fell out of the race, otherwise Ortiz should have been unanimous.

However, the writers have mostly stated that Arod will win, mostly based on his incredible D, clutch hitting and wonderful attitude.

yankee fans are dumb

they boo him even before he gets to the plate. then they boo him for popping out. then when he hits a homerun, they cheer him and demand a curtain call (which he obliged yesterday).

:tsk: :coocoo:

he probably would still have a shot, but if the red sox end the season without getting back into playoff contention i don't think he has a shot.

the sentement for jeter seems to be strong, and if the yankees pull away i think he'll get the nod in a close race with mauer.

NL is a three horse race between beltran, pujols and howard... beltran will be hurt by other mets splitting his vote, pujols will be hurt by the time he missed and the cardinals not exactly lighting things up (all be it still in first place), and howard will be hurt if the phills miss the playoffs.

Hewson said:
Trade away Hamels, Myers, Utley, Howard, Rollins and Gordon for a dozen water bottles and you might have yourselves a World Series winner by that philosophy.

:scratch: I don't understand. We traded away veterans who weren't working out, not the nucleus.

the sentement for jeter seems to be strong, and if the yankees pull away i think he'll get the nod in a close race with mauer.

So Jeter at .340, 12HR and 83 RBI
and Mauer at .350, 10HR and 73 RBI
will battle out for MVP while Jermaine Dye at .327, 39HR and 106 RBI for a playoff team gets no consideration??

Hewson said:

So Jeter at .340, 12HR and 83 RBI
and Mauer at .350, 10HR and 73 RBI
will battle out for MVP while Jermaine Dye at .327, 39HR and 106 RBI for a playoff team gets no consideration??

east coast bias :shrug:

(yes i'm aware that joe mauer isn't on the east coast)

i think dye will be hurt by being in a lineup with konerko and thome, on a team that is considered to be good based mostly on their pitching. not that he's not worthy, i just don't think he'll get the votes.

phillyfan26 said:

:scratch: I don't understand. We traded away veterans who weren't working out, not the nucleus.
If Lidle is still in the rotation, you probably win 3 more games. Think about that on Oct 2 if the Fightin' Phils are sittin home while David Wells and the Fattin' Padres are pounding the Mets at Shea having finished just 1 game ahead of the Cheesesteaks.
At least your owner saved some money.(for himself, I doubt he dropped ticket prices after the trade).

east coast bias :shrug:

(yes i'm aware that joe mauer isn't on the east coast)

i think dye will be hurt by being in a lineup with konerko and thome, on a team that is considered to be good based mostly on their pitching. not that he's not worthy, i just don't think he'll get the votes.
And Thome being out of the lineup down the stretch doesn't help him?

Hewson said:
If Lidle is still in the rotation, you probably win 3 more games. Think about that on Oct 2 if the Fightin' Phils are sittin home while David Wells and the Fattin' Padres are pounding the Mets at Shea having finished just 1 game ahead of the Cheesesteaks.
At least your owner saved some money.(for himself, I doubt he dropped ticket prices after the trade).

:tsk: i really doubt the padres are able to pound anyone, let alone a team that beat them 5 out of 6 times (and lost the 6th on a play at the plate in the 14th inning).

the padres will be lucky if they get one guy to drive in 80 runs this year... woooooo... willie must be shaking in his boots.

That was the pre-Boomer Padres.
He's got them all on Harley's heading out for burritos and whiskey as a pregame ritual now, big difference.
Fear the Fathers.

Back
Top Bottom