MLB Thread menage a trois: The Stretch Run - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2006, 11:11 AM   #46
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:16 AM
unless houston makes the playoffs as the wild card, i don't see anyway the mets don't get to at least the NLCS, with or without glavine.

their current pitching problems are real problems, but you are forgetting how bad the national league is.

even without pedro and glavine, they're still better than cincinatti, arizona and san diego.

the pitching problems will present themselves in the NLCS against st. louis... but st. louis' pitching sucks as well.

it would take a perfect pitching performance to win the world series with pedro and glavine in the rotation... so what really has changed? now it just takes an even more perfect performance.

Old 08-21-2006, 11:34 AM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

With Pedro and Tom G. you have 2 playoff experienced pitchers at the top of your rotation, and in my estimation a walk to the World Series (and then a 4 game sweep at the hands of the Tigers), without those 2, what does your rotation look like?
Who's #1, El Duque? Followed by who Jose Lima?

Old 08-21-2006, 02:42 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

man Theo's whining about not having enough resources to compete with the yankees is so incredibly lame. 28 other teams in MLB would love to have the Sox's "resource" problem
Old 08-21-2006, 02:47 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
man Theo's whining about not having enough resources to compete with the yankees is so incredibly lame. 28 other teams in MLB would love to have the Sox's "resource" problem
I agree, but keep in mind that the Sox are one of only four teams that have to play the Yankees 19 times per year.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:05 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

So here's an interesting tidbit:

After Manny Ramirez' first 2 plate appearances today in which he walked both times, Manny is 8 for 11 with 9 walks in the series thus far vs the Yanks, an astonishing .850 OBP.

The intersting tidbit is that of the 17 opportunities he has scored only 3 times...

...oh and he has 2 HR's amongst his 8 hits, so he has driven himself in twice, meaning...

...of 15 oppoprtunities, Red Sox hitters in the 5 through 9 slot have driven Manny in only once.

Think they need a little help behind Ortiz and Ramirez?
Old 08-21-2006, 03:09 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
So here's an interesting tidbit:

After Manny Ramirez' first 2 plate appearances today in which he walked both times, Manny is 8 for 11 with 9 walks in the series thus far vs the Yanks, an astonishing .850 OBP.

The intersting tidbit is that of the 17 opportunities he has scored only 3 times...

...oh and he has 2 HR's amongst his 8 hits, so he has driven himself in twice, meaning...

...of 15 oppoprtunities, Red Sox hitters in the 5 through 9 slot have driven Manny in only once.

Think they need a little help behind Ortiz and Ramirez?
That, plus two more starting pitchers, another setup man and a catcher and we'll be all set.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:27 PM   #52
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
Saw the Phils last night at Citizens Bank Park - big win, we all wanted to see Rowand and Utley take on the Nats in a brawl, but Howard got a homer so it was alright.
I forgot to mention that in Abraham Nunez's third at bat they played "Walk On."
Old 08-21-2006, 03:50 PM   #53
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
With Pedro and Tom G. you have 2 playoff experienced pitchers at the top of your rotation, and in my estimation a walk to the World Series (and then a 4 game sweep at the hands of the Tigers), without those 2, what does your rotation look like?
Who's #1, El Duque? Followed by who Jose Lima?
el duque who's a proven playoff performer, steve trachsel, who's sitting at 12-5 right now, and john maine, who's been lights out the second half of the season...

great? no... but besides houston, who in the NL has a great pitching staff? no one. not to mention the fact that the mets still have the best bullpen in the national league.

i mean hey, it's not as good as having jon lester and jason johnson in the rotation, but it's ok.

and i think you're jumping the gun a bit on pedro. not to mention that we're all jumping the gun on glavine, when it's entirely possible that it's just an extention of his previously diagnosed raynaud's disease... which he's only one something like 260+ games since being diagnosed with back in the early 90s.

look... they have obvious problems in their rotaton... but who doesn't?

like i said... even without glavine and pedro... which it's unlikely that they'll be without both... they're still better than the likely first round wild card opponents... arizona, cincinatti, san diego...

it would obviously make a world series less likely, but i thought the AL was soo dominating that they had no chance anyway. that's what everyone keeps telling us, right?
Old 08-21-2006, 04:20 PM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer

I agree, but keep in mind that the Sox are one of only four teams that have to play the Yankees 19 times per year.
And the AL East standings pretty much reflect the payrolls of each team...

Of course, if the Sox keep playing like they are, that could change. A five game sweep at home...
Old 08-21-2006, 04:53 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

And the AL East standings pretty much reflect the payrolls of each team...

i guess the red sox should be leading the wild card then
Old 08-21-2006, 10:31 PM   #56
Blue Crack Supplier

Wow. Rowand and Utley just collided and Rowand had to leave the game. Utley called him off a ball and Rowand didn't see it, he went head-first into the ground and get his ankle caught in the turf when he collapsed.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:33 PM   #57
War Child

Local Time: 02:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
Wow. Rowand and Utley just collided and Rowand had to leave the game. Utley called him off a ball and Rowand didn't see it, he went head-first into the ground and get his ankle caught in the turf when he collapsed.
ouch. That Bites. I still remember seeing that replay over and over again of Beltran and Cameron going head to head in the outfield.....yikes. You had to see people get hurt. I dont care who they are, it stinks.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:36 PM   #58
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBrush

ouch. That Bites. I still remember seeing that replay over and over again of Beltran and Cameron going head to head in the outfield.....yikes. You had to see people get hurt. I dont care who they are, it stinks.
Yeah, and it looked bad too. Rowand's head hit hard, and no one even knew his leg was hurt till he got up limping, we thought he got knocked out for a bit.

And the play cost them a run because Rowand knocked the ball off of Utley (and his glove too), and the guy scored on a two out-single.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:53 PM   #59
War Child

should be hate not had in my above post
Old 08-22-2006, 12:56 AM   #60
War Child

Man, Gibbons just looks like an asshole.

I know you see Lilly yelling at him, but let the guy vent, you don't go town the tunnel chasing after him.

You DO however go into an opposing teams clubhouse and then drive around a foreign citiy screaming "wheres Mota?" HAHA, we made a trade to get Mota, AND all I remember him for is his famous backpedal.