MLB Thread menage a trois: The Stretch Run

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Headache in a Suitcase said:
not to mention that we're all jumping the gun on glavine

NY POST - August 22, 2006 -- Tom Glavine will be taking the mound again.
A source told The Post last night that the Mets' All-Star left-hander - feared done for the season, maybe even for his career with a possible blood clot in his pitching shoulder - underwent an angiogram yesterday and will not require surgery.
The source said Glavine could be pitching sometime next week.

TheBrush said:
Man, Gibbons just looks like an asshole.

I know you see Lilly yelling at him, but let the guy vent, you don't go town the tunnel chasing after him.

You DO however go into an opposing teams clubhouse and then drive around a foreign citiy screaming "wheres Mota?" HAHA, we made a trade to get Mota, AND all I remember him for is his famous backpedal.

normaly i would be on the side of the coach/manager in a situation like this... where the player tries to show the coach/manager up... but this is now the second incident in where gibbons and a player had to be restrained from each other this season alone (shea hillenbrand was the first)... so you're begining to see a bit of a common denominator here.

it's never ok for a player to show up his manager the way lily did, but it's doubley not ok for a manager to provoke a physical confrontation with his players.

i'm gonna guess that gibbons is gonna be canned at season's end, and toronto will make a big push to get sweet lou to come north of the border (if he hasn't already signed with the illadelph by then..)

Headache in a Suitcase said:

normaly i would be on the side of the coach/manager in a situation like this... where the player tries to show the coach/manager up... but this is now the second incident in where gibbons and a player had to be restrained from each other this season alone (shea hillenbrand was the first)... so you're begining to see a bit of a common denominator here.

it's never ok for a player to show up his manager the way lily did, but it's doubley not ok for a manager to provoke a physical confrontation with his players.

i'm gonna guess that gibbons is gonna be canned at season's end, and toronto will make a big push to get sweet lou to come north of the border (if he hasn't already signed with the illadelph by then..)

I was watching the game, Im close to the border so we get some of the games. Gibbons was talking shit on his way out to the mound. I agree its not OK for a player to yap back but he was def. going for a dig on Lily.

TheBrush said:

I was watching the game, Im close to the border so we get some of the games. Gibbons was talking shit on his way out to the mound. I agree its not OK for a player to yap back but he was def. going for a dig on Lily.

as the manager i do believe it's his right to chew his player out :shrug:

this is his second physical confrontation with a player... so either gibbons is out of control or he's completely lost the respect of his team to the point where they will go after him. either way, it pretty much spells the end of gibbons' run as toronto manager.

I agree with your analysis of his future.

However if you are a manager you shouldnt belittle your player in front of the fans like that, Im sure they could hear him, he started this stuff like 15 feet away from lily.

TheBrush said:
I agree with your analysis of his future.

However if you are a manager you shouldnt belittle your player in front of the fans like that, Im sure they could hear him, he started this stuff like 15 feet away from lily.

Sure you can! The whole thing isn't about pampering him. I wish Charlie Manuel would've chewed out some of our lazy players like Lieber, Burrell, and Abreu once in a while! Sometimes they deserve it, and they need a fire lit under them. Lilly seems a bit of a crybaby for reacting the way he did.

hows abouts we just let albert and carlos have themselves a little homerun derby to decide this one, shall we?

r4167837305.jpg
capt.556d982d99e94fd3bdec35474c2059af.cardinals_mets_baseball_nys114.jpg

Last edited:
NEW YORK -- Outfielder Shawn Green was traded from the Arizona Diamondbacks to the New York Mets on Tuesday night, giving the NL East leaders one more big bat as they gear up for the postseason.

The Diamondbacks sent the 33-year-old Green and cash to the Mets for Triple-A pitcher Evan MacLane, a box of donuts and a wooden nickle.

i wonder if he can be in uniform by the 8th inning :hmm:

sep12_jays3.jpg

Last edited:
with mulder and marquis going in the next two id be surprised if it wasnt a sweep

You know what Headache, I think I will change my tune and agree with you. This reminds me of when Brad Penny got hissy when he got taken out for burping up just as large a lead.

I do think Gibbons instigated and deserved to get poped for following him into the clubhouse, that I dont think was a smart move......but yea, Gibbons can bark at Lily (who was probably pissed he pissed away that big of a lead) although I guess gibbons said something very derogatory according to XM.

OK, now Headache, Numb, Myself.....We need to enjoy this night. It is like christmas, in the past day weve inproved our pen and outfield, got one of our aces back (that was scary, and in a non baseball way too). Delgado has returned to form to say the least. Beltran is Beltran. Sweetness. Tonight I would not change a thing!

OH YAY AND I GOT A JOB!

SCORE! what a day.

Did I just see the Red Sox take 2 of 3 from the Angels with pitching and defense? Or were they showing reruns of April games on TV tonight?

When you're in the worst slump of the season, there's no better cure than a visit to the Big A in Southern Los Angeles/Northern Mexico/Eastern Hawai'i.
You know if you put 2 runs up you're just about guaranteed a win against the powerhouse lineup the Angels surround Vlad the Impaler with.

if Big Papi misses any considerable time due to his irregular heartbeat, you can put a fork in the Sawx in 2006.

Numb1075 said:
if Big Papi misses any considerable time due to his irregular heartbeat, you can put a fork in the Sawx in 2006.

theyve already been forked

Perhaps I am a lunatic. But even after the 2006 boston masacre, I still thought that the Sawx had a slim chance to catch up to the Yanks before the season was over w/ like 40 games to play and only being like 6 out or so. They still have a 4 game series to play against eachother and if Schilling/Beckett throw like they can and they got some support from Lester, I thought that Boston still had a chance....especially w/ the Yanks sh!tty rotation.

But now, I think the fork, knife, soup spoon, and spork are in the sawx now.

Back
Top Bottom